Australian Reverse Phonebook?

Hi, all

I need to find the "owner" of a particular phone number. Why? Because every now and then i get a call on my my mobile (from different numbers). There is a single ring and call is disconencted and person never calls again. I have a feeling that this is some sort of scam that expects you to call back. To be sure, I want to trace the number(s) before attempting to call back. (Mobile is used mainly for business and I do not want to lose customers either).

A service caled "Australian Reverse Phonebook" existed at some stage then it was shutdown, but as far as I remember, there was a website with slightly outdated data that provided reverse phone number lookup.

If anyone has the link, please let me know.

Thanks, Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

mark jb

The "Greypages" is what you are after:

I like how you can search for a number and then get a hyperlink to everyone else on the same street.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks, that worked ok.

Last call I got was from a residential address. Given that it is in different state from where I am, I assume it was an error.

Rudolf

Reply to
Rudolf

Better be quick. This is posted on the site:

"22/12/06 - Telstra send legal threat. Telstra apparently claim copyright to the data behind this lookup and amidst the tens of thousands of searches per day (no joke :O), the fact that it's all public data, the fact that ACMA have previously acknowledged it, and the fact that the database isn't actually hosted in this country, they want the data to be removed. Hooray for Telstra and their budding mid-twenties Tasmanian law grad. However, don't expect this lookup to exist much longer in it's present state and/or location... An online petition by the users (this means YOU) would also be good. Maybe some free legal advice too. Email snipped-for-privacy@mazzanet.id.au if you can help in any way. And no, I won't give you a copy of the database (unless you live in and have access to server(s) in Sweden, the Netherlands, Russia or Finland)."

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Rudolf"

** If it IS a call back scam - you can bet your bum the number is unlisted (ie a "silent number).

Most mobile numbers and around 35% of all numbers are unlisted - unlisted numbers do NOT appear in look up databases. The one known as "Greypages" is also years behind the current phone book - so relatively new numbers are not there either.

If you wanna know who called you - the only sure way is to phone the number and ask the person who answers.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

every

is

have

it

If you know any members of the Police Force you could ask them to find it for you as a favor.

Charles L

Reply to
Charles L

On 2 Jan 2007 15:15:50 -0800, "David L. Jones" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Can the new Telstra still legally publish our private data in a public database without our explicit consent?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I think you explicitly consented when you asked for a white pages listing. Telephone books are publicly available.

--
Regards,

Adrian Jansen           adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net
Design Engineer         J & K Micro Systems
Microcomputer solutions for industrial control
Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.
Reply to
Adrian Jansen

"Adrian Jansen"

** Plus of course the phone directory is on line too.

The German one allows searching by number.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 08:04:26 +1000, Adrian Jansen put finger to keyboard and composed:

Well, if I had refused, Telstra would have extorted a "silent number" fee from me, not just once, but each and every year.

Exactly. Should any company be permitted to publish your personal details in a public database? Will a fully privatised Telstra still enjoy the protection of special legislation (?) that allows it to flout privacy laws?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

is on line too.

----------------------------------- the Azerbaijan phone company even goes one better it not only allows searching by number, it also shows how much money they currently owe the phone company :)

to test (in brackets are what to select to make it work for yourself)

"rayon" = select the city (sumqayit) "telefon" = enter the number (7 digits, first ones are "6482" for sumqayit so try 6482111 for example)

then press "axtar" ("submit" button)

--------

the results page:

SAA = subscriber's name kucanin = address

abune haqqi avans = amount currently owing (x,xx = amount in Euro)

----------

Reply to
kreed

"Franc Zabkar Fuckwit "

** ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!

This Zabkrap imbecile thinks EVERYONE should have a silent number, by law.

Such paranoia makes you really wonder about his background.

BTW

The cretin does have a silent number.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

LOL. Did you try looking him up? Did you try Grey pages ;)

Try looking under bush lawyers. He seems to be an expert on privacy legislation...

Reply to
Wayne Reid

Hey Charles - do you mean that they would look it up for you for free, or would there be a collect in there somewhere for the member? Oh, I'd better add one of these... ;)

...wouldn't do for anyone to think my question was serious.

Reply to
Wayne Reid

it

It is known that police can look up silent numbers and find land-line numbers of dwellings just from an address. So I just thought if you knew someone....

Charles L

Reply to
Charles L

is it really?

their access through NED does NOT include unlisted numbers, unless it has changed VERY recently.

Reply to
budgie

What's that? National Emergency Database?

It would hardly be useful if it didn't contain unlisted numbers (depending on its' purpose). Where do they source the data for NED?

Emergency services have access to a databse (ONPD I think) that does allow reverse searches, but this would only be accessible for privildged emergency personell I presume. I wouldn't think that a cop could (legally / ethically) search any privilidged database for a mate, no matter what the purpose - what with privacy legislationa and all that.

Reply to
Wayne Reid

"Wayne Reid"

** When you phone " 000 " your phone number comes up on a screen whether it is listed or not - the operator only asks for your number as a cross check that the call is genuine.

Hoaxes are reported and a reverse search is often done to track the culprit.

The Police can obtain a warrant very easily to compel a service provider to supply them details on any number ( land or mobile) with a detailed list with dates and times of ALL numbers called from or * received by * that number in previous weeks or months.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

IIRC the E is Electronic. Of course, it'd have to be ...

It's really a reverse-searchable equivalent of the WPonline. And last time I used it, it didn't have unlisted numbers.

IPND, Integrated Public Number Database. Emergency services organisations (ESO's) don't get to search it, unless things have changed dramatically of recent time.

Reply to
budgie