Weird/smelly problem with Skybuck's DreamPC2006 and CPU fan not spinning

I did the following:

  1. Replaced winfast motherboard with backup winfast motherboard. The backup motherboard is same model yet strangely enough missing one ethernet port, it only has one, while the other has two, also firewire pins missing but ok.

  1. Put some new artic silver 5 on the cpu.

  2. Struggled to get the scythe ninja heatsink on it, pulled it off then put it back on ? I know this is bad but how bad exactly ? Could this have created an air pocket between CPU and Heatsink ?

  1. Re-connected everything, everything seems to be working fine so far, windows re-scanner hardware etc.

Except the following strange things are occuring:

  1. On boot-up the CPU-fan does spin up and spins for a few seconds, like 10 or 20 seconds.

  1. CMOS crc checksum failure continue with default, maybe battery dead could be.

  2. CPU fan stops spinning after 20 seconds no matter if in bios or booting to windows.

  1. The antec 1200 has huge airflow, and the heatsink of the scythe might be transferring enough heat away from CPU, CPU according to internal sensors are 34 to 37 to 38 degrees celcius or so. I am not sure if I can trust these sensors but ok.

  2. There is again a weird smelling coming from somewhere....

I am not sure what this smell is some hypothesis:

9.1 Power supply went bad after many years and is leaking gasses from capacitators ?

9.2 Capacitators on motherboard are leaking gasses ?

9.3 The CPU is burning through the PCB ? I cannot check this. There seems to be no heat transfer among the heat pipes and the cpu heatsink, it's all cool to touch ?!? PCB smell ?

9.4 The oil I used for the fans is old and is causing a strange oily-burn smell ?

Strange thing is the hardware monitor tool says CPU fan spinning at 16.000 rpm... which is not the case.

I re-oiled all the fans in the system, except the CPU fan because it seemed fine... maybe there is some dirty in it causing to get stuck ??? I doubt it though...

It's a pain in the ass to get off... and it doesn't make much sense to me... it does spin up and then it shuts down ?

9.5 There is also some artic silver 5 leaking past the cpu but I don't think it touches anything, maybe it's artic silver 5 smell ?

The smell is the same smell as before... but less intense... when there was no fan on nforce4 chip I also noticed this smell, but much more.

I could have taken the nforce4 fan from backup motherboard and maybe re-attached it to existing motherboard could have saved me a lot of trouble.

But it was kinda good I did this cause there was so much dust everywhere...

I would like to know from you guys:

What could be causing a CPU fan to stop spinning ?|??

I already tried unplugging and replugging power cords and resets...

Also what typically causes a burning smell is it the PCB ? Or could it be old oil ? Kinda strange...

All cables are taken care off, spin around each other here and there and made sure no cables are touching any hot components, nothing seems to be getting hot... except maybe cpu and gpu ?

The gpu/graphics card is quite new... GT 1030... maybe something wrong inside of it ? Maybe thermal paste dried up... quite weird...

Hard to pin-point where the smell is coming from.

My best bet would be either somehow PCB but most likely capacitors opening up on the top slightly.... or power supply is doing something weird or is old ?

Do PCs get smelly of old age ?

My older PCs also kinda smell a bit... but this one smells a bit harder... quite weird.

Bye for now, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

skybuck2000 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news:2d5ff929-9d95-4622- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The really sad part is that you have been abusing folks in Usenet since at least 2006.

You computer problems are all karma related. Especially the "smelly" part.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Arctic Silver usually wants you to apply a dot or a line. If you just "put some", well...

Corvid

There was indeed some brown stuff on the capacitators.

The weird thing was:

It was on the old motherboard but on the new one as well.

For now I dismissed it as a bit of rust but it could also be maybe some stuff from the inside ?

Some further infos:

I also worry a little bit that the power supply fan is not spinning fast enough.

I just checked with some toilet paper to see if it could blow it away it did.

Plastic bag and paper did not get blown away, could this be a sign that there is something wrong with the power supply fan ?

Maybe I attached it wrongly, maybe it's rubbing against something, it does stop a bit soon when power is cut, little bit sooner than others.

I think it's ball bearing, it's a horizontal fan could that have something to do with it's potentially slight failure ?

Perhaps that power fan is slowly dieing or something...

Do fans die over time ? It seems to be happening slightly... the rest of the fans are going very strong...

Bye for now, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

skybuck2000 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You should taste it and see what it tastes like. That will tell you for sure.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Both motherboards were second hand/used by others, they were the only socket 939 motherboards I could get at the time.

My best guess is that the second/backup motherboard was probably in a very hot system. When it was sold to me it was removed from that system and immediately put into the static bag. Perhaps whoever did that did not wipe off enemy eletrolyte from the capacitator.

That would be my best guess to what happened to the backup motherboard.

Either that or the many summers somehow caused the electrolyte to also put pressure on those caps even while powered off in a box in a closest ??!?

Would such a thing be possible at all ?

For now explanation 1 seems more likely then explanation 2 :)

However there could also be a third explanation maybe some kind of chemical reaction maybe introduced by bacteria deep inside the capacitator/electrolyte.

This last explanation also seems somewhat reasonable. I am not sure if there are any bacterias that eat electrolyte and produce gas possibly making this brown stuff bubble up.

Though my best guess is bacteria will evolve to eat anything so it's a reasonable hypothesis.

It might even be a new bacteria that has adepted to our electronics/electrolyte, now that be be an interesting find ! ;)

Bye for now, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

Thanks for replieing Paul,

I just checked high-resolution images of the old motherboard with dust on it and such and brownish/black stuff on top of capacitators.

It does indeed look like damaged/failed/wonky capacitators.

One of them is near the south bridge/nforce4 chip where the tiny little ventilator is.

This could explain why the tiny little ventilator would stop spinning.

One or more of the capacitators near it failed/was wonky.

Unfortunately I didn't bother to take any pictures of the backup motherboard, but I can remember seeing the same kind of brownish blackish stuff on capacitators higher up probably near CPU.

So this again could explain why the CPU fan does not want to stay on for much longer. Capacitator is somehow bad ?

Maybe the capacitator cannot hold on to some kind of charge for too long and thus the CPU fan stops spinning as the capacitator is drained from power much more quickly.

This kinda makes some sense to me !

(I dont have filezilla on my laptop otherwise I could upload some pictures, but this textual description will have to do for now).

(I did make a video of the backup motherboard, maybe I delete it but some are still there... so there is a chance I can find a video of it)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
skybuck2000

skybuck2000 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Likely brand new ones quite cheap on ebay right as we type. You just are not very good at sourcing.

You are mumbling. Folks do not "wipe off" their electronic assemblies before bagging them for storage. Those whom would are anal idiots.

Electrolytics age, and poorly manufactured ones that used contaminated constituents die early and exhibit functionality problems throughout their life, like a slowly festering pustule. Like your presence in this group.

You are an abject idiot. Did you go to Trump University?

Postulated that stupid shit all by yourself, or did you and your other crack head friends come up with that stupid shit together?

It is not a reasonable hypothesis at all.

OK... Do they have mental institutions where you live? Are you a resident of one and if not, you certainly need to be.

That weird smell was your upper lip.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:49:37 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skk1i0$gsn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

0CMchi0q5apu
Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:50:06 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skk1iu$gsn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

17BfZH0qOPr/
Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:50:22 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skk1je$gsn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

MIrjfL897+nU

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:50:54 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skk1ke$gsn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

Sm7ERPc76Sew

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:51:16 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skk1l3$gsn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

dy+fLnR//ksi

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 14:51:54 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skk1m9$gsn$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

MfzJXy/VA/lD

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:02:14 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skkudl$fq7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

RHqRlAiYTRj9

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:02:26 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skkue2$fq7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

ej9nNWJMgF5H

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:02:34 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skkuea$fq7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

UWzed93fNDtZ

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:02:42 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skkuei$fq7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

SZQcpdQzxYb6

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:02:50 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skkueq$fq7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

uszhOsBdzy0Y

Reply to
Edward Hernandez

The John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sdhn7c$pkp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And the John Doe troll stated the following in message-id <sg3kr7$qt5$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

And yet, the clueless John Doe troll has itself posted yet another incorrectly formatted USENET posting on Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:02:58 -0000 (UTC) in message-id <skkuf1$fq7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me.

HOwj2S3kFtn+

Reply to
Edward Hernandez