Is anyone here using UBUNTU? --- Linnux based op system

very

equivalent

=20

-=20

Wow. Do i ever disagree with you on Access. It is a pretentious pain=20 in the ass. Give me that old CLI monster Dbase3 instead. Also FileMaker= =20 beats it hands down, though it costs more. The only thing worse than=20 Access is OpenOfficeBase.

=20

=20

Reply to
JosephKK

No way. Accessucks came out before M$ bought Ashton-Tate's dregs or = FoxBase.

Reply to
JosephKK

near=20

Yep. ObjectBases and Object Databases have come and gone, and good old = SQL=20 is still here.

Reply to
JosephKK

near=20

Sure, for a rather broken implementation.

Reply to
JosephKK

is a

pointers

on

pretty

dual-boot

don't

the

of

Unless you are into eye heroin (candy) i would not bother with it. = Plasma=20 and compiz are rather well known to be rather buggy.

Reply to
JosephKK

There is one thing Fedora (red hat) has that most other distributions=20 don't, working gEDA/GAF. That is why i have live DVDs of fedora.

Reply to
JosephKK

My poised to be next production machine is OpenSuse 11.1 with KDE 3.5 DE. KDE 4 is still not ready for prime time and is way too eye heroin (candy)= =20 oriented.

Reply to
JosephKK

Knoppix live DVD.

And the ISO:

Archimedes' Lever

Bullshit.

And even if the trademark/brand name did, the engine is now exactly as described. A derivative of FoxPro, and FoxPro's root are well known already. Case closed.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

.

I've got open suse 11.2 with kde 4.3.1. No issues. Good for engineering, but for multimedia, you often spend a long time getting all the needed libraries. I started to load XBMC, but it's turning out to be a bear of a job. [I have vorbis, but it can't find it. Argh!] Myth was trivial by comparison. But for science and electronics, opensuse works well.

I run into particle accelerator employees at a local coffee shop (no, really). They run a version of linux from CERN.

miso

From earlier in this thread: news: snipped-for-privacy@b10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com

Note that Fedora's *specialty* CD is mentioned there as well. It is called Fedora Electronic Lab spin. ...and, yes, that one has been out since late 2007.

The *alien* app for cross-packaging installs has been mentioned as well.

Reply to
JeffM

JosephKK wibbled on Saturday 30 January 2010 03:53

In which case your problem doesn't exist go use Postgresql or MySQL.

I'm talking about whacking out gui's for secretarys. FileMaker might have been a contender - I don;t really know it and Access was the tool I had at the time.

I never said Access's backend was any good (though it wasn't bad IMO for the time). Backends are not a problem on unix - it's finding a nice RAD tool for font ends....

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

Tim Watts wibbled on Saturday 30 January 2010 10:52

^^^^ etc

And sorry, my keyboard is full of crumbs...

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

On Jan 29, 8:09=A0pm, "JosephKK" wrote: [....]

sma

I ran SuSE with Plasma just long enough to discover what a complete pigs breakfast it is. I found nothing about it better than the KDE3 that came with older versions and many things that we messed up.

Lately I have become a bit of a fan of JWM for its lightness of weight and simple way of getting everything to do what it should.

Reply to
MooseFET

.

I'm running 11.1 32 bit with KDE 3.5.10

I have a version of Dosemu, that I hacked installed so that I can do MESS-DOS programs. The I may publish the hack if I can get my boss to agree. One of the things I did was make it so that the "speaker" would come out the sound card and be fairly accurate about frequencies and durations. This is because one of the DOS programs that is used, used audio feedback to let you know what is happening while you are looking at what you are doing and not looking at the screen.

I have Wine installed to do the few windows things I need to do. ExpressPCB works just fine under wine. I don't let it know that there is a network on the machine so it can't submit the PCB directly.

Needless to say LTSpice works under wine as do all well written windows programs.

I do all of my documents for others with Openoffice. I have better luck with the pictures in a document staying as they should than folks trading among MS Office seem to. Creating a PDF is the way to go if you want the document to look the same to everyone.

Reply to
MooseFET

Why all the extra lines after your crap all the time?

Archimedes' Lever

Archimedes' Lever schrieb:

Why full quotes all the time?

To get the paper out of the typewriter?

Falk

Reply to
Falk Willberg

Old unspoken rule out here in the US: Set MS-Word to "97-compatible" and always store in that format -> All problems gone. MS really blew it with the docx stuff, what a pain. So far none of my clients uses ODT. But I do know folks who have uninstalled Office 2007 and I am beginning to understand why (not that I ever planned to buy it).

Translation for the folks here: "June 6 is Cholesterol Day, don't forget to stock up on butter and on eggs"

We are going to barbecue ribs tonight ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Actually, it was different. I tried out Ubuntu (still have it) and found that I did not like the directory writing privileges for non-sudo status. Plus I thought that Tux looked too jaundiced ;-)

The only app I was interested was gEDA but it has too many shortcomings for my work so I'll stick with Cadsoft Eagle for now.

Installation of apps is actually rather easy in Ubuntu-Linux. If you want to you can click a little check box in Synaptics and that's it.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/