Is anyone here using UBUNTU? --- Linnux based op system

Look closer. It was not full quotes. It was only a full quote of HIS post. Full quoting would have been to include the quoted material that was part of his post as well.

Maybe an attempt to prompt idiots to take their heads out of their asses.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

To convert an electronic forum to waste paper and ink? You guys both deserve to have a tree (if not more than one) fall on your house and kill you. Hopefully before you get a chance to spawn.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

To convert an electronic forum to waste paper and ink? You guys both deserve to have a tree (if not more than one) fall on your house and kill you. Hopefully before you get a chance to spawn.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Joerg wrote:

I'm remembering the circumstances but can't connect the proper person to it.

This is kinda like Right-click; untick Read-only:

Does that get you closer?

You just dip him in some Easter egg dye and

Careful. DJ might be lurking and show you 42 ways you're wrong.

Horses for courses.

Windoze users watch Linux package managers in action and their jaws drop. That you can actually USE Linux while it's installing stuff just blows them away. Not having to reboot for the slightest thing is the final topper.

Reply to
JeffM

FileMaker

Which of course i do.

have=20

at=20

If you ever get the chance, you may well find it kicks everything else's = butt. It originated for Mac, which means it currently runs on something like = BSD. I wish there was a Linux version.

the=20

for=20

=46ileMaker's backend is pretty good now as well.

Reply to
JosephKK

=A0Plasma

I may have to try that one.

Reply to
JosephKK

pointers

choice.

DE.

(candy)

So do you have a version of gEDA/GAF running on your Suse 11.2?

If your hardware is supported and your user requirements are not=20 too unreasonable you could try the relevant newsgroup echoes of the=20 OpenSuse forums. e.g. OpenSuse.org.help.multimedia hosted by=20 Novell/OpenSuse.org.

Reply to
JosephKK

"Windows has detected that you have moved your mouse. Please reboot so that the change can come into effect"

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

ters

ice.

DE.

dy)

gEDA should work ok on the 32 bit version. I wouldn't bet on the 64 bit version because when I had 64 bit SuSE installed, I found several of the libraries did not work right when compiled as 64 bit but did as 32 bit.

Reply to
MooseFET

On Jan 30, 6:42=A0pm, JeffM wrote: [...]

One that really caused jaw "droppage" was this:

(1) Install the ffmpeg

(2) Convert some videos from one format to another

(3) Remove the ffmpeg just to show that it can be done

No rebooting or registering of software etc.

Reply to
MooseFET

MooseFET wrote:

...and, of course, all the dependencies for apps are managed by the Linux package manager. When you UNinstall something, it isn't a *maybe* thing where it *might* leave turds hither, thither, and yon. It actually DOES uninstall ALL of the app

--AND any ancillary stuff that isn't required any more.

...and you never get 27 copies of some DLL scattered all over your HDD.

Windoze users can get a taste of this dependency coolness (and how M$ *SHOULD* install stuff) by using WineTricks or Wine-doors or WineTools under Linux to install a Windoze app for use by WINE. (Payware) Bordeaux can extend the meme.

Reply to
JeffM

Maybe chmod777 would have worked, or could. In my case it was about having access to the directory where the CAD libraries are.

Maybe some day I install the real Tux :-)

We had some discussion on the gEDA group but AFAIR the concensus was that it ain't so easy and it's not the way gEDA schon be operated. But CAD usually is ... got to have unfettered write access to library directories.

Yeah, the reboot is rather silly but many programs don't require it anymore. XP is pretty stable. What crashes all the time is Adobe Acrobat Reader, almost daily, regardless of version.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Knoppix, installed to a hard drive. Pretty simple shit. The DVD is

10GB of pre-installed apps Install more, update, UPGRADE even.

Pretty simple.

Wait longer for 64 bit to become even more mainstream.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Yeah, but very often you have to compile software with Linux, and that gets a different reaction from the windows crowd. Still, I'm with you on the need not to boot.

Reply to
miso

I have found that many people will accept the compiling of software even if they are non-programmers. You just have to give them the step by step instructions on how to do it and warn them that it will take a while of the PC to do the job. So long as it compiles without errors they will accept the idea that their PC needed to convert it to the right form for their machine.

The biggest problem is the truly awful way that most people write the instructions to do this. They usually read something like this:

(1) To compile the software simply type "make"(without the quotes) at a command prompt.

(2) When it is finished type "make install"

(3) Warning, before you type "make" the first time, you must type "./configure". If you forget this step it will destroy all life in the universe.

Reply to
MooseFET

For Dial-up, check your modem. Some systems have a windows soft modem which doesn't work with linux.

Reply to
Wanderer

Wanderer wrote:

First, that's too broad a statement:

*-*-*-has-*-tempered+LinModems+closed.*-*+cos=t+*-*-ugly-hack+*-hardware-modem-is-*-*-best-*-*-*-*+*-binary-drivers+Not-w=ithout-*-effort+some.winmodems+*-*-external-*-*-winmodems-*-*-*-*+*-*-right=-driver+LinModem+proprietary+only-*-for-*-Windows

Second, it appears that he's talking about download speed vs download size. ...and large files *can* be downloaded in the wee hours via 56k

--but you have to be very patient. The trick is to

1) use a Download Manager which allows you to Resume interrupted downloads. 2) find a Web page that auto-refreshes every 15 minutes and have that running in your browser during the process. (A newspaper's traffic status page may update every 6 minutes.)
Reply to
JeffM

The problem is missing programs (dependencies) or libraries in different places. If it compiles right away, yeah fine. But that is not always the case. Also, the ./configure make make install is not universal. There are other schemes. Occasionally all you get is a C file, but that is often the easy install since the program is not very big. DCRAW is like that.

I like linux, but you just can't inflict it on the general public unless all they are going to do is run a browser, email, office, etc.

Reply to
miso

If you go with a popular distribution such as Ubuntu, you can get binary packages for just about anything.

And the package manager handles all of the dependencies, so you don't end up with some obscure error message that takes a day to figure out that you need to install ".NET runtime version x.y.z".

Stuff that's only available in source form is typically either so obscure that the alternative to compiling it yourself would be writing it yourself, or is pre-alpha development code which probably doesn't have documentation either.

IOW, the kind of stuff that, if was for Windows, there'll be a binary, but you have to spend a couple of hours tracking down the OCXs it needs, then figure out what compatibility settings it needs to run on anything later than Win95, and it will nag you for a donation every time you run it.

Reply to
Nobody

Unfortunately, ubuntu could not handle my software RAID. That was a show stopper.

Many programs really need to be compiled since the programmer didn't use dynamic memory allocation but rather used conditional compilation. I don't blame them since the software is free and dynamic scheme can be a headache.

I wasn't aware opensuse was an "unpopular" distribution. ;-) OK, except for the Novell deal.

Reply to
miso