IR motion sensor

Hello,

I am trying to build a special IR motion sensor, I need a one pixel pyroelectric sensor and a focusing component for IR radiation. For the pyroelectric device I found the component SSAC10-11 from Nicera. I was wondering if someone knew if they had any competitors that would sell the same component so that I could compare them. I was also wondering if anyone would know where I could find a cylindrical lens focusing IR radiation onto the pyroelectric component? (I only need a unidimensional focusing).

Thanks a lot for your help!

Raphaele

Reply to
raphaele.thevenin

A good place to start is to rip apart a porch light sensor, and have a good look at how it works--it's quite clever. Lenses for the thermal IR are either (a) big hunks of silicon or germanium that cost $4000, or (b) Fresnel lenses made of high-density polyethylene (as used in bleach bottles) that cost $0.03. For one pixel you're definitely trending towards the HDPE end of things.

Special Fresnel lenses tend to cost $5000 for tooling, unfortunately. I don't know of anyone who uses cylindrical Fresnel lenses at any wavelength.

If your requirements aren't too stringent, you can probably use the segments of the fancy Fresnel lens in the porch light to do what you need.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

--
For the lenses:

http://www.fresneltech.com/

for the sensors:

http://www.murata.com/catalog/s21e.pdf

http://www.fuji-piezo.com/prodpyro.htm

or:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GFRC,GFRC:2006-50,GFRC:en&q=pyroelectric+sensors

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
And:

http://www.heimannsensor.com/DataPYR.htm

I\'ve used their stuff and it works nicely.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

h.

.

Thank you! I will look this up. I am indeed having issues with the fact that these lenses are really expensive! I will take a porch light and rip it apart. Thanks for your advice.

Raphaele

Reply to
raphaele.thevenin

GFR...

Ok, I am looking them up! Thank you for your help!

Raphaele

Reply to
raphaele.thevenin

could you use a reflector instead? cylindrical reflectors are easy to make :)

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Remember that the focal length for IR is somewhat longer than for visual spectrum so you have to adjust the focal plane for maximum IR focus.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

The only place i ever found any was navigation lights.

Reply to
JosephKK