Motion Sensor

Ok, heres the deal. I live in a very small apartment complex and where i park is quite secluded. Last night, my car cover was stolen and im worried that the car might be next. I have a factory alarm on my vehicle which consists of a shock sensor, (which is now turned up to maximum sensitivity) and door monitors. I would like to add a motion sensor on a switched circuit so that when i park overnight i can turn it on to get further protection. I dont know what is available in a 12 volt application, or how to wire it in. i would assume that if its output is a simple voltage spike or something like that, and my stock shock sensor is similiar, i could splice it in with a diode so that either sensor could set off the alarm. Any input?

Reply to
redls1bird

I have some input. I wonder how car alarms do anything more than annoy people to the point of total indifference, or perhaps even morbid satisfaction, to the thought that the auto might be stolen. Your idea to add a motion sensor to an already over-sensitized source of stress, pollution and civil hostility makes me retch.

Tell me, why didn't the car alarm prevent your car cover being nicked?

Reply to
Kitchen Man

Use the motion sensor to turn on a very bright floodlight. If you use it to turn on the alarm, any passing raccoon, dog or housecat will cause considerable annoyance to your neighbors.

Reply to
kell

It can be assumed that you don't own a car and you hate them. I suggest you move to the Canadian Northwest territory and live there in a log cabin.

Reply to
whru

thats funny, i didnt post asking for opinions on car alarms... but to answer your questions. First the cover was stolen because to remove it to no force, it simply slides on. Second of all, the motion sensor wouldnt be activated by a passing cat, because they are not tall enough to be seen out the windows where the sensor would be mounted and also, the replacement cover will block the view of the outside world. That way, the sensor would only be tripped if the cover was removed. Just because you think that the rest of the world is insensitive to you, and the rest of us are to self absorbed to think that what we do in our daily existence might make others uncomfortable is a joke. far more consideration has gone into the planning to make the system effective and liveable for all. The fact that i want to protect something that i have worked hard to obtain, and also maintain is reason enough for me to add a little discomfort to others. a horn honking on occasion will not end your world. Besides whos really to blame? Me for adding an additional sensor to an alarm, or the fact that i need one because a dishonest person has decided that i have something that they want. If noone ever stood up and took an extra step to fight back think of where we would all be.

Reply to
redls1bird

You didn't say you planned to put the motion sensor inside the car. I don't think it would work. Glass is opaque to infra red.

Reply to
kell

Yes, i plan to have it inside the car. i know that there are some manufacturers that use them on their convertible cars to make sure that no one is reaching in and taking things, but there arent that many aftermarket manufactures of these type of sensors. there is oine company that makes them that i know of, called crimegaurd. they state that there sensors signal is only usuable by a alarm created by them. in other words, not setup to be used on anything other than a crime gaurd alarm. if i could find out what kind of a signal this is im sure i could come up with something. i dont plan on buying it though for 60 bucks just to tinker with it.

Reply to
redls1bird

My neighbour's cat likes jumping on the bonnet (hood) of my car. Especially if it's a cold evening and car engine still warm.

So, the following scenario could still leave you at risk:

  1. Car alarmed, cover in place.

  1. Burglar (or his mate) returns for another easy cover; maybe has a small re-sale or ebay business established by now.

  2. Cat jumps on bonnet, triggering sensor.

  1. Jumps off in panic, scratching bonnet.

  2. First thing following morning: sleepless neighbours on your door step for unfriendly conversations.
--
Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK

What about a trembler switch wired to the horn.

R >
Reply to
Roger Dewhurst