interesting numbers

port American industry and "throwing open the borders," H1B is more orderly and purposeful, for one. Many H1B come from areas of acute poverty and are supporting extended families with the money they earn here. It is a far mo re efficient process than the formal foreign aid route.

nts.

t costs

apital

nia

The US has around seven times more prisoners than other developed countries , is that because the is seven time criminal?, or is because politicians want ing to be seen as tough on crime and lobbied by industry have upped the sentenc es for to ridicules levels?

it's a waste of tax money, though I'm sure the prison industry love them fo r providing them with free slave labour, and the police for giving them a j ob

s, and the asian triads. Also included are the 2-5 million illegal criminal s who are not in jail. Every day, semi trailers loaded with crystal meth dr ive across the border unsearched to trans-shipment points in Fresno and bey ond.

Drugs are only interesting to criminal gangs because they are extremely pro fitable. But that is only because they are illegal, if they weren't the gan gs would be bankrupt.

Make all drugs legal and let people self decide if they want to take them

that would of course mean half the police would be redundant, half of the p risons closed, the police gadget industry bankrupt and politicians scrambli ng for a new "war on ...."

if

unless your idea of a great place is in prison working for $1/day I think t here are many place that are much better to be criminal

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Very different demographics from places like Canada and Switzerland. And very different regional crime/imprisonment rates. The USA is a

*big* country.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 21. maj 2014 21.52.44 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

snip

I know, but it is still hard to believe that the US is 7 times worse than Europe, Canada, Australia, etc. _on average_

5% of the worlds population and 25% of the worlds prisoners just doesn't add up

Since Reagan ramped up the "war on drugs" some 30 year ago, the US have quadrupled the incarceration rate

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

A lot of other countries don't lock up their criminals. They just make them disappear.

Reply to
Tom Miller

support American industry and "throwing open the borders," H1B is more orde rly and purposeful, for one. Many H1B come from areas of acute poverty and are supporting extended families with the money they earn here. It is a far more efficient process than the formal foreign aid route.

oes

quants.

e to

That costs

e capital

fornia

ies,

anting

ences for to ridicules levels?

You obviously know nothing about Canada, it's big cities have a LOT of crim e.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I'm all for them moving in with you.

Reply to
krw

That does sound economical.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

ies, is that because they are seven times more criminal?, or is because politici ans wanting to be seen as tough on crime and lobbied by industry have upped the sentences for to ridicules levels?

Who'd want to share a house with a politician?

Lasse hasn't mentioned the other driver of the high US incarceration rates, which is that large chunks of the prison system have been privatised, and the people who own the prisons are consequently lobbying for longer sentenc es and for adding custodial penalties for minor crimes - anything to maximi se the number of people in their prisons and thus their turnover and their profit.

One of those cases - like Enron - when the workings of the free market lead to sub-optimal solutions. The fact that the US has a more than usually act ive market in buying and selling political influence doesn't help.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Dear Sir, Please kindly explain WHY all US hi-tech companies, Intel, Google, National Semiconductor, TI .... (list goes on) have offices in Bangalore, Hyderabad and Chennai ? Intel e.g., has 2000 engineers at their Bangalore office.

Reply to
dakupoto

Where is it better to be a criminal? Why, we have the finest criminals in the world. :)

An interesting write-up:

It's not clear to me why the incarceration rate is so much higher in the US. The usual explanation is the drug incarceration laws. That seems likely, along with a big prison lobby. (bigger than education.)

Reply to
haiticare2011

And I must add - the real issue is what do you do with people who are disaffected with society? You can:

-just ignore them

-kill them

-jail them

-send them to prison camps in faraway places

-put them in mental institutions

-put them in work camps or chain gangs

In the US, the role of welfare should be looked at. If you are on subsistence, criminal activity might pay, since it is not taxable.

You could force them to learn electronics design. :) The things that ee's do for fun would provoke a slaves' rebellion if enforced! :) Civilized people endure hardships more than criminals (try selling that idea to liberals.). This shows that criminality is an inside job.

Reply to
haiticare2011

Say daku, Please quote, in short form, what statement of JohnLarkin's you are responding to. I'd like to hear what you are saying, but not possible if you don't quote what you are responding to. Obviously, engineers in India are cheaper, and the companies can park billions offshore, to avoid US taxes. I'm in principal in favor of penalizing companies like Apple who use engineers in other countries to avoid taxes. Steve Jobs said he designed the Iphone in China because he could not get the 30,000 engineers in the U.S.

Reply to
haiticare2011

If companies have customers all over the world, they will have employees all over the world.

But it's hard to believe that it took 30K engineers to design a phone.

It's expensive to have employees in the US. Salaries, benefits, health insurance, FICA, unemployment insurance, workmen's comp insurance, property taxes on their space and their chairs, energy cost, insurance against lawsuits, extra for unions, accountants, lawyers, and lots more. Plus about the highest federal and state corporate income taxes in the world. Most of those costs are by government policy.

You can't penalize you way around that; you'd only make it more appealing to set up headquarters in Aruba. And international company has no obligation to be an American company, and are sort of crazy if they are.

Precision electronic instrumentation

Say daku, Please quote, in short form, what statement of JohnLarkin's you are responding to. I'd like to hear what you are saying, but not possible if you don't quote what you are responding to.

The back of my iPhone says "Designed by Apple in California. Assembled in China".

Kevin Aylward B.Sc.

Kevin Aylward

As a matter of fact, California has been losing working people at a high rate for over a decade now. These have been replaced by immigrants whom I think are on assistance at a high rate, but don't know the numbers. The loss of middle class is a fact though. The gainers are places like Texas and Florida. I notice Toyota just left. I hope the last to leave will turn out the lights. :) jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

The differential in costs drives companies from California to Texas. But the differential in costs between the USA and, say, India or Malaysia is a far bigger gradient.

California has been called a "fine-tuned job-killing machine." So is the USA.

The poor and the unemployed and the illegal immigrants and the residents of urban ghettoes are all reliable Democratic Party voters, so naturally the Democrats want more of them. That's not entirely conscious, but it has evolved that way.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

the label on Iphones says designed in the USA, made in china, so I am guessing they are calling every one involved in the Iphone production engineers

I read somewhere that making the Iphone in the US would add ~$4 to the price doesn't sound like much but it would still mean something like ~$600million less profit

I believe Google made one of their phone in Texas and they said it cost an extra $4

interesting how,

when companies shop cheap labor on the global market it's good business practice.

When people shop products on the global market it is often called illegal parallel import

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

"John Larkin" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Let alone in tax holes like San Francisco! Why would anyone design and build stuff there? ;-)

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

If a company (US based on otherwise) makes money in another country, why should they pay *any* taxes in the US? Would you prefer that a "US company" became a "non-US company"? It's happening.

Reply to
krw

We do! But we're a niche business with very little competition and high margins on modest volumes; we are essentially selling IP, but it's delivered as parts soldered to boards.

The real problem in the USA isn't about small IP-intensive companies like ours, it's about creating jobs for millions of ordinary worker-guys, people who used to work on farms and in factories.

What we should have is a national sales tax and low business taxes. We especially need low tax penalties for having employees. Many more people would have jobs and could afford to pay taxes on voluntary purchases.

We are no doubt past the Laffer peak on business tax rates. That's why so much money is parked offshore.