Interesting Current Probe

Why not use The Scientific Method - try it! See what happens, then report back with your results. My first thought was "no way!", but if you can figure out how to "aim" it, you might be able to probe current in PC board traces.

But someone has to try it to find out if it's worth the bother. :-)

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Oh, the WRITE heads are inductive; that's the wire pair you want to connect to. If you can see it. And, if you can weld really small wires.

Reply to
whit3rd

You can do that, but the MR gives you (iirc) about 60 dB more signal.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'd be interested to see how it copes with multilayer PCBs.

A lot of the time, the current I'm interested in is in an inner layer.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:j6o8kd$91t$1 @dont-email.me:

I would advise to use read/write heads from an old floppy, they have a handy size, and wont break so easely. Also you dont need a magnifier glass to see them......

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

[...]

Why don't you just build one as in Figure E1? Does not look difficult. I doubt a HDD head is suitable for this at all.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name
Arno

But MR effect is proportional to |B|, not to a component of B-vector, so you'll get odd effects (frequency doubling). I'm more comfortable with a search coil type probe. Heck, it doesn't even need any ferrite. I've made several for o'scope use, somehow they keep getting borrowed; like when I was in college, and my seasoned castiron frypans always wandered off when a roommate left...

Reply to
whit3rd

I asked first if it was theoretically feasible, so it doesn't make sense to tell me that it isn't but I should try it anyway, but next time I have a scrap drive I'll give it a shot.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Very good point indeed! I will ask the suppliers.

JB

Reply to
JB

Aehm, Figure E1 does not use a HDD head, i.e. I did not tell you to try anyways? Still, trying does nor hurt. But the comment that modern heads are magneto-resistive and hence do not use coils would at least require an adapted amplifier.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name
Arno

=20

I just scrapped a drive last month. Would you like the head stack?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Oh sorry. I Misread. Anyway it's interesting even when you learn you can't do something and why.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

On 10 Oct 2011 19:31:25 GMT, Arno put finger to keyboard and composed:

Here is a collection of HDD preamp datasheets:

The VTC and Philips datasheets are the more informative ones.

Here are HDD Read Channel datasheets:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar