Interesting Current Probe

I received this mailshot this morning:

On the face of it, this could be a very useful probe indeed. There have been several occaisions where I have needed to measure actual AC current in a track. Anyone seen/used one of these or have any opinions? Thanks in advance. JB

Reply to
JB

599 euro ~$798.00US
Reply to
D from BC

Yes I saw that, but still a lot cheaper than my Tek P6021 (overkill admittedly as most of my applications are in the 1kHz-1.5MHz range) and of course the Iprober does DC too. I will see if I can get a demo.

JB

Reply to
JB

dex.htm

een

It's obvious it won't take calibrated readings and that it will be sensitive to position and whatever external fields are there.

"Nevertheless, the use of the I-prober 520 requires interpretation based upon a proper understanding of circuits and systems. It is a tool for the professional engineer and is not suitable for use by just anyone."

If there's such a disclaimer and it's not in fine print, that should tell you something.

Not saying it's useless, but it's not some sort of magic wand you can wave around at random and get consistent, useful readings. Especially for newbs.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Well, that disclaimer goes for about any measurement you make :-) I recently had a problem with a switcher design so I really needed to measure the currents. Preferably primary and secondary. I used 2 SMD current sensing transformers to make 2 current probes. Works like a charm.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Whew. I paid $175 for my P6042.

Cheers

Phil HObbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes I got this too and am thinking of getting one.

It looks like the "sniffer probe" idea described in Appendix E of this Jim Williams app note (AN118):

There look to be enough details to make your own or you could buy it.

This new one claims a new type of sensor IIRC, could be a useful addition to the collection. But it not clear if it has any advantages over a home made one.

Not as accurate as a proper current probe and more expensive than some second hand ones. But the whole point is that you can probe around PCB tracks without having to break the circuit.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

That one is not going all the way down to DC. Which is rarely needed anyhow. But I found that probes being sideways at the end are better, they couple much more tigghtly to the trace. So that's what I am using in my noise hunts. I have an EMCO near field kit.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

dex.htm

een

Gah! I HATE shiny brochures.

It alleges new sensor technology.

Screw the babble, what physics principle is it based on? I couldn't force myself to read the damn thing.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
alien8752

Yes good point, forgot about that. Hall sensor?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

index.htm

It's a fluxgate that has been miniaturized into their tip (so, the probe is possibly a delicate and expensive part to drop on the floor). The sublink on the page that explains this, is=20

It's uncertain what the high frequency applicability is, because they have a local oscillator that can beat against the input signals, but it should be a stellar performer at low frequencies (and will age much better than Hall sensors would).

Reply to
whit3rd

r/index.htm

What is the aging mechanism in Hall sensors? How would it show up in the readings?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

ve

n a

of

Does it still work?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

It works perfectly. eBay is a wonderful thing, if you're patient.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ber/index.htm

The Hall effect is small, so it might only generate a few microvolts; it takes lots of amplification. Any noise, including popcorn noise and=20 the kinds of leakages that cause amplifier drift, will matter. Some=20 inexpensive Hall sensors are so sensitive, that strain on their leadwires has a non-negligible effect - the better sensors have a ceramic substrate.

Reply to
whit3rd

Several years ago I asked here if scrap hard drive heads could be used to make a current probe (of some limited bandwidth). If you only need AC measurement I still wonder if a poor man's version is feasible.

(Cross-posting to csiphs where people have an interest in HDD heads.)

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

I doubt it. The problem is that any reasonable current probe needs to wrap a core around the wire being probed and then reads the current on a second winding. That is the reason for the "clamp" design. The "clamp" is actually a ferrite core. If you do not do it that way, you get extreme influence from distance, 1/(d^2) for a straight wire.

Also, HDD heads are both extremely fragile and used for high field strengts at high frequencies. I do not see them ever working reasonably as current probe, even if you glue them to the wiore being probed. The amount of advanced DSP needed to make sense from their output is just not worth it.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno@wagner.name
Arno

The probe in discussion (link quoted above) has all the same drawbacks (except bandwidth limitation) but costs $800. I thought a head might provide the assembly for a poor man's version.

A head is essentially like the probe in Appendix E here:

But I guess a head might be designed for a very narrow band.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Also, it might be used for finding sources of EMI rather than precise current measurement.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Modern hard disk heads are _quick_. They take some care, though--they aren't inductive anymore, they're magnetoresistive.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs