OT: Suitcase Marking

Anyone have a novel but indestructible way of marking suitcases to make them stand out as different from the pack?

My recent travels indicate that everyone has my same brand of suitcase :-(

I saw some ribbon attempts at differentiation, but that doesn't hold up well to the "union toss" I observed at O'Hare bag handling ;-)

I thought of blinking LED's, but TSA will think it a bomb :-(

Any fluorescent paints that are durable? ...Jim Thompson

Replace the rollers or handle with something of a decidedly "unmatching" style/color.

Personally, anytime I've had to fetch someone's bags, a description like "the blue one with the *fat* red yarn" was sufficient. A business card tucked in a luggage tag serves to sort out any ambiguities.

Learn to travel less. It is a delightfully "liberating" experience (though clients often *try* to insist, otherwise)

Reply to
Don Y

I found that the customs labels and various other labels that get slapped on in various countries makes my baggage quite unique. I don't know what sort of adhesive backing they use in places like the Caribbean but it won't come off.

Maybe stop at the fan shop in Glendale and buy some Arizona Cardinals stickers?

On some older hand tools of mine I had use leftover paint from when I repainted my Citroen, to be able to see which tools are mine at ham radio events and such. That turned out to be impossible to remove from just about any material.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I use tags on my luggage. I SCUBA dive, so my tags are 2x3 inch heavily laminated cards with the red background and white diagonal slash on both sides. They have a hole through which I put a nylon tie wrap and then through a metal part of the handle of the bag.

If I can see the handle or wherever I put the tag, I can identify my bag immediately.

Any other bright, unusual symbol on the tag will work.

John S

Reply to
John S

Ah... Another exercise in creative thinking. Good for electronics. My list of whatever came to mind good or bad.

Put suitcase in bright orange bag. Stick on bright reflective sign grade adhesive vinyl. 3M Sick on bright colored alligator vinyl. Bolt on shiny steel plates. Bolt/glue on brightly colored anodized aluminum sheets or strips. Use bright paint and then cover with acrylic protective sheet. Use bright tinted acrylic sheet. Iridescent acrylic. Use shiny polished aluminum sheets or strips. Use shiny studs for punk suitcase. Diamond sparkles :) Put your suitcase in a shiny steel frame. Stick or bolt on automotive/bicycle reflectors. Don't use a ribbon. Use a steel chain. Don't use a suitcase. Stick on glow sticks. When your suitcase is rough handled it'll glow. Stick a huge bright heavy duty plastic tag on the handle. Buy a unique suitcase. It's not a problem.

Reply to
D from BC

We traditionally used a piece of orange yarn about a foot long tied to the handle. long enough to see, but not long enough to get caught on things...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Wonder if any of the "reflective sign grade adhesive vinyl" will withstand bag handlers. I kid you not, I saw handlers at O'Hare _throwing_ suitcases over large distances with about a 50% drop rate :-( ...Jim Thompson

Acrylic Paints usually stick to rubber and fabric well. I use those big whitish tiewraps in strategic places to identify my carry on, since eveyone else has the same one.

Martin Riddle

Colored wire ties locking it shut. Not many people use white ones, let alone colored ones.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The fluorescent wire ties I bought are much more brittle than the 'natural' or black color, so I would leave them a little loose rather than reef on them as I normally do.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The best method I know of is thick, brightly coloured plastic tags attached with small leather belts (generally salvaged from previous luggage). Those hold up well, and aren't nearly as dorky looking as paint.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

TSA'll cut 'em off.

Reply to
krw

Simulation software hasn't been made yet for this sort of thing. I have sign grade vinyl (black) but I have no way of testing it.

Reply to
D from BC

Sure, but only if they want to open the suitcase. That rarely happens, IME.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

100%, IM recent E. Even when I opened it up & rifled the contents right in from of them, to make a niche to stash my camera.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

You trust a camera to a checked bag??

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

This is s.e.d. I'm surprised that nobody has proposed an RFID solution. Put a chip in each bag and build a handheld receiver programmed to report the proximity of only your tags. Output a signal strength that can be used to annunciate the approach of one of your bags.

Stupidity kills. But not nearly often enough.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The main purpose of unique bag markers is keeping somebody else from walking off with your bag thinking it's his. It needs to be large and obvious.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Satire follows..

I only have hammers in my toolbox. So I try to fix everything with hammers. If suitcase not noticeable at the airport then hammer on some shiny studs. :P

I cut my finger and tried to fix it with my oscilloscope. :(

Reply to
D from BC

I suggest a pocket-sized cylindrical aluminum case with an LED digital display indicating the distance to the suitcase.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany