imperfect exponential

Thanks, George, but I'm probably not really going to build another one anyway. It would be useful for getting both position and angle, but I don't usually need them that accurate.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I only print. Nobody, including myself, can read my handwriting.

lunatic fringe electronics

Some electronics is quantitative, some less so. I need to measure delta-times between edges, pulse widths, rise and fall times, duty cycles, frequencies, pulse amplitudes, RMS values. Analog scopes don't do those things well.

Sometimes I blow up parts on purpose and only get one chance to capture the waveform and measure things. A digital scope is great for that.

The FFT on digital scopes are usually mediocre, but can be handy now and then when hinting for noise or oscillations.

Sharp flat color LCDs are great. An old CRT scope looks like an old fuzzy round-tube b+w TV set.

One thing that I sorta miss is that analog scopes (sometimes) had analog sweep and vertical signal outputs. The Tek 545 series had a (as I recall) 150 volt sweep output. I don't miss schlepping 70 pound oscilloscopes around on carts.

lunatic fringe electronics

That seems a bit silly. He made a note purely for the camera, but made is so illegible it read as the wrong thing. It wasn't illegible, it looks like a pretty well made 'p'. If I wrote a note like that I would toss it and make another before I made the photo.

BTW, I'm not "dissing" him, I'm stating a simple truth. If your hands won't let you write, then use a printer! I was also responding in kind to John's remark.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Ah, I see. Thanks for that, John. I was kind of foxed by krw's use of the word "manipulate" and clearly wrongly assumed it to mean *editing* the trace.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

My printing isn't much better. I only take notes because I tend to remember better if I do. I certainly can't read them after.

Reply to
krw

He knows what it said, even if you can't do the arithmetic.

What a waste of time.

Reply to
krw

I used one once to prove that a transistor was going into secondary breakdown rather than avalanching. The supplier was all wet. With a proper circuit design, it wouldn't have been a problem but it was.

FFT is useful at times but I find that averaging is often quite useful for pulling signals out of noise.

OTOH, they tended to say put. Someone is always swiping my Agilent MSO3104.

Reply to
krw

All sorts of manipulations like FFT, signal average, integrate, differentiate, add, subtract, multiply.

Reply to
krw

Sonds like it's designing you.......

RL

Reply to
legg

That's cool: take the notes and immediately throw them away!

lunatic fringe electronics

I never doubted that it was 47 uF.

lunatic fringe electronics

Pretty much. I use a clipboard for note taking (and doodling). When the top page gets full, I tear it off and into the trash it goes.

Reply to
krw

Only the whiny little old ladies who wanted to prove you wrong, did.

Reply to
krw

So is bitching about everything you don't like. Keep it to yourself.

Reply to
John S

Since we're picking on form over substance, someone should point out that first of the 10k resistor's five serpentine reversals is shorted out too, making it only 8k.

HTH,

James Arthur

P.S. Thanks for the cool pic.

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I don't bitch about "everything" I don't like - I got into this thread because I though John Larkin had written 47p where he claims to have intended 47u.

That created considerable cognitive dissonance in my brain, and several others, which has now been cleared up. I find your comment less useful. Maybe you should have kept it to yourself.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The difference between 47p and 47u is more substantial - about six orders of magnitude - and did tend to obscure what John Larkin was bitching about (the extreme voltage dependence of the capacitance of the capacitor being tested.

But Bastiat would be proud of you.

--
Bill Sloman, Syndey
Reply to

I have a notebook and scribble things there, instead of on loose bits of paper. But mostly I scrawl on my whiteboard and take pics. It's immediately to the right of my bench, so as I breadboard or measure stuff, I note it and then photograph it.

The problem then becomes organizing all those pics.

Doodles go on to blue-line-grid pads, 99.7% of which wind up in the trash. What happened to the paperless society?

lunatic fringe electronics

But there are actually a couple of people here who are interested in capacitors.

lunatic fringe electronics