imperfect exponential

Analogue storage scopes (like the Tek 466) don't crash. Bad choice of scope by the sound of it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Actually my 466 crashed the first time I turned storage mode on, and has never recovered. (It's sitting in the back of a closet here someplace, unlikely to see the light of day.)

At least Windows lets you play solitaire on your scope. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You can shop Amazon on the LeCroy. Try that on a 466!

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I think I saw a reference to an analog meter that used a tiny stepper motor to rotate the needle. As I recall, they use them in automobiles.

So, build your own meter.

Reply to
John S

Oh I forgot to respond to the post by Phil. You can still buy meters. (I too like a meter when tweaking up a signal... optical or otherwise.) Phil, I've got a couple Hoyt meters on my shelf. (not edge reading) and not micro amps but (I think) 1mA FS.

Here,

You'd have to gain up the current. (Also two edge reading meters, not zero center, and 1mA FS)

Want 'em?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It can also send out spam. :)

Reply to
tom

Have been following along?

Reply to
krw

I wouldn't have it. I'm not much one on analog scopes anymore, but I'm not a fan of Winblows scopes, either.

You can't grab the waveform and manipulate it on your 466. The 466's FFT function isn't worth squat, either.

Reply to
krw

Yep, modern speedometers and tachs are stepper motors.

Reply to
krw

  • I said NOTHING about calculus or number theory. Shoot,the values and curve seen on the screen lends to a simple non-math RC interpretation that any electronic tech should be able to do in under 100mSec.
Reply to
Robert Baer

+1

My handwriting is so abysmal that I no longer try.

Reply to
krw

Isn't it obvious? The wet electrolytic needed to be re-formed...

Slightly more plausible: Non-linear C-V characteristics. The charging curve seen on the scope is so bad that it is an obvious distortion of what should be a standard C charging curve. The first 2 minor divisions show a long RC curve; in the middle the RC is obviously a LOT shorter.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Some of the old chart recorders used long thin pencil-sized galvos that basically were taut-band meters without magnet (the other part of the meter); 16 channels (i think, been 40-50 years) were typical. If you can find one or two of those chart recorders mouldering in some surplus shop...

Reply to
Robert Baer

Now, do not dis him! He obviously had other things in mind, and this was a quick experiment with a jotted note, hastily "scribbled". I dare say that most of us old farts cannot PRINT as well or as neatly.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Whichever is easier. I'd settle for any small constant current source for charging and a sawtooth wave discharge if that is easier to do. Or diodes in series to do charge by constant current discharge by R.

Looks like you could use a sine wave to about 1v peak to peak across the capacitor at most without the capacitance changing by too much.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Which he then posted on-line. Confusing your readers with rotten hand-writing is inconsiderate.

Krw's thinking went the same way a few years ago.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You might use an ILS indicator from an airplane. The small aircraft are changing to glass cockpits, and there are abandoned indicators around.

The indicator has two zero-center meters with needles at 90 degrees to each other, just good for the X-Y display.

--

-TV
Reply to

Why would I want to do that?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

True, only engineers are interested in knowing what's really going on.

Reply to
krw

Interesting, thanks. That would sure make a fun retro look.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs