High-pressure sodium vapor lamp failing

I am trying to troubleshoot a high-pressure sodium vapor lamp which does not light, in spite of there being 120V AC available in the socket and a new bulb installed. Posting a pic of the ignitor to A.B.S.E showing the two components with which I am least familiar, and which I suspect may be at fault. Please, any input or advice is solicited. I can replace the lamp easily enough, but would rather fix it if I can just for the satisfaction of doing so. I am seeking info on the semiconductor (NTE6419) device which appears to be open, and the cylindericle device to which it is attached, which measures 1.08 H with my LCR meter, and totally open between the two end-pins with my DMM set to Ohms. If you have anything to offer, I ask for it.

Many thanks,

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The "ignitor" is a ballast.

Meat Plow

not

wo

lamp

n of

ch

k for

High pressure sodium lamps require a starting voltage of around 200 volt to ignite the lamp and then the ballast limits the current to the proper operating current for the lamp. If there is only 120 volts on the socket the starter circuit may be defective .

See this for more details .

pdf

Reply to
sparky

High pressure sodium lamps require a starting voltage of around 200 volt to ignite the lamp and then the ballast limits the current to the proper operating current for the lamp. If there is only 120 volts on the socket the starter circuit may be defective .

See this for more details .

Hey Sparky, thanks for that link. And yes, the starter was indeed defective. Thought it was going to be the SIDAC bi-directional thyristor, but it turned out to be the choke behind that device. Looks like (approx)

100uH, and I stuck a 100uH choke from Rat Shack in its place to test, and the lamp seems to work fine with that. Only thing now is to find one that is coated like the old one to be fire-proof, or figure out something to coat the new new choke with for that purpose. Any ideas there are quite welcome.

Thanks again for the help. It feels good to know I am on the right track.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've repaired my sodium fixture 4 times in the past 20 years. It was made to be in the weather but seemed to only last a few years initially and then would fail ever 4 years or so. Maybe it was just a bad design I don't know. I replaced the entire fixture 5 years ago and so far its performed flawlessly.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Hey Meat Plow,

This fixture has lasted at least 15 years, and it was the choke in the starter that ultimately failed. If she can get another 5 or 10 years out of it I'll be happy. And I was worried about the replacement choke overheating, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. Especially since the SIDAC next to it will fail before it gets hot enough to be a hazard (thus no need for a thermal fuse, like I was thinking about.) I still wish I knew of something fairly heat-proof to spray on it, but it doesn't look like such will actually be needed. If it gets hot, the SIDAC will fail, interrupting current to the device in question. (shaking head) I love it when something just works out the way you need it to. Doesn't happen very often. :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave