Hydrogen from a AAA cell?

html

ossil carbon, it will get to be more expensive, and it will eventually be c heaper to generate electricity from sunlight. Using renewable energy to ele ctrolyse water to hydrogen (and oxygen) will then make more sense.

sunlight to generate electricity, and use that to split water to get hydrog en for later use in fuel cells. There are too many inefficiencies, too man y difficulties with storage, and too many better ways to achieve a similar effect.

bacteria to produce ethanol (or at least sugar) directly are the most promising direction at the moment.

They might be, if they captured ore of the energy from the sunlight absorbe d.

Photovoltaic cells get about an order of magnitude more energy out of each incident photon.

, high compatibility with existing usage (i.e., car engines), and can be us ed in fuel cells. Ethanol has many advantages over hydrogen here.

But you need a lot more land area to capture the same amount of energy.

rectly for charging batteries), then atomic power is a better choice in man y cases - it's the only technology that gives reliable continuous power gen eration with a high enough power-to-area ratio to compete with fossil fuels.

Atomic power might be a better choice if we ever work out a way of dealing with the waste from the nuclear plant. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of ma n, but we've been searching for a an acceptable solution for some fifty yea rs now and still haven't come up with anything that anybody has turned into a working repository that looks as if it might last the necessary thousand s of years.

And what's this "power-to-area" ratio? Solar power looks like a great way o f getting some use out of otherwise useless - and extensive - desert areas.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And yet there are now commercial solar cell farms providing 40 MW to the US power grid. Once it is in the grid no one cares where it comes from.

It is just a matter of time until photovoltaic electricity production is mainstream and coal, gas and nuclear are a thing of the past.

--

Rick
Reply to

Don't confuse the reporter with the science or the scientist.

--

Rick
Reply to

Some years back when the Internet was in its infancy, I found a web page about an "inventor" who was selling all sorts of ideas about electric power. At one point he leased a stadium to attract potential investors to show off his electric car he claimed was powered by (he holds up a 9 volt battery) "this". He got in the car and drove is around a bit. The next four hours was spent convincing people to give him their money. Turns out the car was powered by about 1,000 9 volt batteries and a high voltage motor. lol

--

Rick
Reply to

But this is only a significant problem indoors where the hydrogen can not readily disperse as it will do outdoors.

BTW, hydrogen was responsible for the explosions at Fukushima. If hydrogen is too dangerous to use, it seems reasonable that nuclear would be too.

--

Rick
Reply to

Yeah, a car I'll buy but something the size of a house will take at least a 'D' cell.

Reply to
krw

That's certainly a simplistic statement merging into falsehood territory. Solar power destabilizes the grid. Someone cares a *lot* about that. Of course greenies don't, if they're your universe of "everyone".

Bullshit.

Reply to
krw

Cool. We agree.

A nuke would better create hydrogen through some thermal-chemical reaction. Electricity is too valuable to waste on electrolysis.

There is at least one absurd scientific-breakthrough press release from US academia per day. The universities must have PR departments to crank out this nonsense.

C-cell at least.

A Tesla uses AA-sized lithium batteries, something like 7000 of them.

I don't normally like discussing things with you because they usually get surreal and/or personal as your "greeenie" statement is leading into. But do you have anything to support your statement about destabilization?

Not very well based in supporting facts, but at least your counter argument is short and easy to read. :)

--

Rick
Reply to

Cool. How much money did he fleece the dummies or?

Reply to
Robert Baer

--
You just bought the controlling shares in a buggy whip company, eh?

John Fields
Reply to
John Fields

Hundreds of years, maybe. We have a lot of coal and NG.

New kinds of nukes are more likely power generators after fossil fuels get rare. Fusion, thorium, lithium, like that. Concentrated, 24/7, bird-friendly power.

I worked with a guy that commented, I wonder what the third generation effect of chlorine in our drinking water supply will cause. We shall find out. Mikek

amdx

You see it that way because you are one of the watermelons.

A family of power engineers and a little research. You really should do some research some time.

When you spout bullshit, expect to get called on it. It really is that simple.

Reply to
krw

Keep up your usual whining, wannabe.

Reply to
krw

I thought the Tesla used C-sized?

Reply to
krw

The Roadster used "18050" laptop-type cells, 18 mm diameter. 6831 of them.