Any Cell BE programmers here?

I've become interested in the Cell as of late.  Looking around to see
what watering holes are worth spending time at.  For those not sure
what I'm referring to:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell /

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Re: Any Cell BE programmers here?
Hi,
What exactly would you like to know?
Br,
Serg.

Re: Any Cell BE programmers here?

Aside from whether there's any significant clump of Cell BE programmers
anywhere... I'd like to know if anyone is programming directly on the
PS3 with a keyboard / mouse / monitor setup.  I'm currently trying to
get the IBM Cell SDK set up on my PC for cross-compilation and
simulation, but I'm wondering if this is more trouble than it's worth.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Re: Any Cell BE programmers here?

Setting up the SDK is not too bad.  I had little experience with Linux
and was able to do it.

Re: Any Cell BE programmers here?
I am doing some research on "virtual peripherals" (i.e. using the CPU to
do the work of classical I/O hardware, which can save a lot of device
cost, but (for decently fast stuff) is not doable with classical CPUs
but needs multi-processor chips or multithreaded CPUs).

Here the Cell is an interesting, device as it has the potential to
deliver   huge multi-CPU power (e.g. using a BE for each virtual
peripheral) with (supposedly) a fantastic price/performance ratio.

As it is not originally designed and announced as an "embedded" device,
it is not recognized much in this segment. IMHO this should change.

-Michael

Re: Any Cell BE programmers here?

I thought it was always intended to go into Toshiba HDTVs.  They're
part of the 3-way venture after all.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Re: Any Cell BE programmers here?

Ah, thanks a lot ! I did not know about this yet.

-Michael

Re: Any Cell BE programmers here?
Hi,

CELL BE was created in collaboration between Sony/Toshiba/IBM (so
called STI).
Sony - for PS3 and future mobile game console
Toshiba - HDTV processor etc
IBM - supercomputers, storage cells, blades and embedded systems

I would recommend you to start with SDK. Follow the CELL BE forum
thread to setup the environment.
Play with several demos and try to bring up your own code.

IMHO, you shouldn't buy PS3 just to play with CELL BE, SDK is worth of
that.
You may also take a look at Mercury Systems for PCI-X card (CELL BE
based) as an example of accelleration card and embedded solution.

If you have some code development issues - let me know.
Br,
oranta.