hurricanes

Looks like the third or so year where Global Warming was predicted to increase the number and intensity of hurricanes. They seem to have peaked in 1992.

Well, hang in there, guys. One year, sooner or later, you'll be right.

John

But then they'll claim "proof".

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Two years from now it'll be too late. Because then they can't blame it on Bush anymore.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. What we need is one that levels the whole southeast... in

2009... and watch Hillary shriek ;-)

...Jim Thompson

And Gore will get another Nobel.

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Global CO2 levels have been increasing steadily, and progressively faster, since 1750.

Dubbya could have made some sort of gesture towards reducing the rate of increase, but that's all that anybody could have done. We can't even blame him for the poor state of the sea defences around New Orleans, where any useful upgrading would have taken something of the order of a decade.

He probably should be taken out and shot for not starting to do something about the problems, but that it is not blaming him for the existence of the problems.

-- Bill Soman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

I'm ready for it, bring it on. ;)

The "other" Jim

Reply to
James Beck

The line to blow Al starts on the left......

Reply to
James Beck

If you are talking about Atlantic hurricane seasons, you gotta be kidding! What about 2005? New records for number of named storms, number of Cat-5 hurricanes, and record low barometric pressure in an Atlantic Basin hurricane!

OK, I look at the graph in the above link for entire northern hemisphere. Exclude the current season and the trend from 1970 to 2006 appears to me to be increasing with time more than decreasing.

We are currently having a La Nina, which disfavors eastern Pacific hurricanes but favors Atlantic ones. However, a lot of the tropical and subtropical North Atlantic and Carribean have had more tropical disturbances impaired from organizing into tropical storms and hurricanes than usual by upper level wind sheers. A partial indicator of this is the fact that the Atlantic has so far had more named storms but fewer hurricanes than the 1950-2000 average. Another is that where the Atlantic had a hurricane shortage was for ones turning north before hitting Mexico or USA - many Atlantic hurricanes go north to the east of Cape Hatteras and Cape Cod, sometimes threatening Bermuda, sometimes threatening the Canada Maritimes (if not turning more east or chilled to death by the usually-hurricane-disablingly-cool Labrador Current by then). So far the 2007 Atlantic hurricane season has

4 out of its 5 hurricanes making landfall onto North America on the Texas coast or farther south (3 of these 5 hurricanes so far this season landfalling south of the Rio Grande) - very unusual.

One more thing: USA's NHC has said that they expect global warming to have only a minor effect on hurricanes. I would expect more due to surface level atmosphere warming while tropopause level atmosphere actually cools, but then again this is a reason why tropical areas would warm less, in addition to another reason of global warming occuring more in areas where a positive feedback mechanism is occurring - the portion of the northern hemisphere that has significant ice and snow, excluding bits where ice and snow survive warming so far (North Pole area and most of Greenland). Hurricane breeding grounds will generally warm less than the globe does as a whole.

Don Klipstein