HP11C emulators?

Hello Folks,

Happened again. Bent over to solder something at a client, the trusty HP11C slipped out the shirt pocket and hit the tile floor really hard. This time the asterisk blinked and gave me a scare since you can't buy these calculators anymore.

So, is there a good emulator for the HP11C? I found one here but it's missing important stuff such as SCI and ENG display of entries and results:

I can find lots of HP48 emulators, usually free/shareware, but I got so used to ye olde 11C.

BTW if someone else sees that asterisk in the lower left corner: It is the low battery indicator and after a fall you may have to clean the batteries, clean the contacts or adjust the contacts. Sometimes giving the batteries a twirl fixes it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

But Joerg, think how much more expensive it'll be when a whole laptop falls out of your shirt pocket, not to mention the wear and tear on your shirts!

I'm teaching myself Java by writing a generic RPN calculator, that _will_ include ENG and SCI mode (those are the next features scheduled, in fact), as well as hex and octal. I'll post it on my site when it's done enough.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Joerg,

If you repost on comp.sys.hp48 you will get a definitive answer.

By the way, the new HP35S is very nice, and it has the BIG enter key.

Bob

Reply to
BobW

See if you can build it in the J2ME environment. Then you'll be able to run it on something like a Palm or other handheld (even a cell phone).

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
those who understand binary and those who don\'t.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Ouch. I hope the tile didn't crack.

So, tear it apart and fix it:

I've repaired about a dozen HP10c through HP16c series calculators. Dirt under the domed keyboard contacts is the usual problem. Also filthy display contacts. Careful cleaning and careful re-assembly usually fixes it.

Drivel: I repair and collect HP calculators in my ever shrinking spare time, but don't tell anyone.

Emulator? Get the real thing. There's one on eBay for $150, which is more than a bit overpriced. The HPmuseum has prices varying from $45 to $212. Ouch.

I have one, but I use it.

Well, there's:

but there's nothing to download.

This one's not free:

Yet another for money:

Here's an HP11c emulator that runs on the HP48 or HP49 series.

Yep. That usually means some dirt or water has crawled into the battery compartment. I usually scotch tape the easy to fall off cover to the case, which make it loss proof, and somewhat waterproof.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Almost forgot. Look into getting an HP15c as a replacement for the

11c. The 15c has matrix arithmetic and complex numbers, while the 11c does not. Otherwise, they're the same.

If not, I have an HP35s, which is my current favorite:

About $50 to $60 anywhere.

One quibble is that the keys are silk screened with white paint which will rub off. Previous HP calculators had the labels molded into the plastic keys. It comes with a case, which helps. Mine arrived with some of the labels smeared.

One of the handiest features is that it will use fractions directly.

I never have figured out how to use the "HP Solver" correctly. Maybe if I read the manual.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I ended up using the program XCALC.EXE

after I lost my HP15c when my baggage didn't pass through LAX one time. (I checked it in at one end; it didn't come out the other.)

Xcale doesn't offer matrices, or programming, or have a solver, but for most things it actually has a better user inteface than the 15c or

16c. (Xcalc is a windows program, and is not to be confused with the (poor) calculator that comes with X.)

Regards, Allan

Reply to
Allan Herriman

The shirt is a problem but the laptop is a mil-style deal. Metal, rubber bumpers on all corners, the works. Plus I need it anyhow to view Gerbers, schematics, documents, etc.

Yes!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Hmm, maybe I should consider getting one of these, if they aren't bigger than the HP11C. Must absolutely fit into a shirt pocket. A belt holster would be ok, too.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Doesn't have to be free. Price is reasonable, main thing is that _all_ the keys work, not just some. For example I really need to switch between Fixed (for budget calcs) and ENG notation (for da real stuff...).

Good idea!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, I'll try that. As long as it's RPN I should be able to get used to it. But first my wife wants me to repair the dreaded sink. Drips a bit, those darn compression joints. I already see it coming. Contortion, then back pain, then some more back pain ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The 35S is about an inch longer than my 12C&15C, but almost exactly the same width and (average) thickness. It weighs about the same, too.

Get your shirts tailored, buy the 35S, and then tell your wife to fix that damn sink herself!

Bob

Reply to
BobW

Well, the pressure cooker also needed some TLC. Sink will be done this afternoon. Saturday is Honey-Do day around here. But my wife is quite handy with tools. When I met her for the first time I was impressed that the purse of a marketeer contained, among the usual women things, a screwdriver, a pair of pliers etc.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not an 11C emulator (they exist but I didn't much care for them), but XCALC is an excellent (free) RPN calculator.

Did you do a web search? There are emulators that use the original HP microcode for the 11/12/16 and a bunch of others. The HP35 has been resurrected as the 35s and has, I think, all the functions you want. I just bought new batteries for my HP45 (and a carrier for AAAs), but at $60 I might spring for a 35 and keep the

45 in the place of honor next to my VersaLog. ;-)

I really need (better) binary functions though. Anyone know of a good calculator with binary fixed point arithmetic? That's one shortcoming of XCALC (no binary point). I'd even spring for a PDA if there were a *good* calculator for it. I paid $400 (1973 $$) for a '45, so a couple hundred in '07 should be easy to come up with. ;-)

That would have been good to know, if someone hadn't "liberated" my

11C.
--
Keith
Reply to

Ever repaired an HP45's power switch? Mine is quite touchy after thirty years sitting in a drawer.

--
Keith
Reply to

Yes, I'll chekc out xcalc.

Did a web search and found some but all were lacking ENG notation. That's really important, especially when tired. Too easy to miss a decimal point.

AFAIK PDAs don't have stellar battery life. That's the most important parameter to me with all things portable. The HP11C is the secret hero in that domain. It ran 15 (!) years on the first set. Only my wife's alarm clock that she got from our ultrasound company beats that. Over 20 years on the first battery and still humming.

Sad. I don't really understand people who do that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

"BobW" hath wroth:

This might help:

The calculators from left to right are HP35, HP35S, HP16c, and HP41CX. The 35s and the 16c are almost exactly the same width. The *average* thickness is about the same. However, the HP35s is about an inch longer. If you shove the 35s in your shirt pocket, without a protective case, methinks the legends are going to wear off from the keys.

Tear the sink apart. Make a huge mess in the kitchen. Then, ask her if you can buy yourself a new calculator (implying that you're not going to put her sink back together unless you get your new calculator). That will either result in instant permission, or a divorce. No warranty on my advice expressed or implied.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

krw hath wroth:

Sure. What's probably happened is that the grease that lubes the slide switch has turned to tar and is not making contact. You can sometimes get away with just applying some mild solvent (alcohol) to the switch, slide it back and forth, and sorta smear the grease around.

However, if you've been moving the switch back and forth zillions of times, then you've probably worn a grove in the gold contacts on the circuit board. That will require disassembly.

Try not to wreck the stick on label when you peel back the corners. I use a hot air gun to soften the glue (and hopefully not melt the plastic case).

I've been fixing switch contact pads with gold leaf and very tiny wire (available at art supply and hobby shops) which are a real nightmare to use. The stuff sticks to everything and won't release. For practice, try cutting and applying a single layer of toilet paper without ripping it apart. Good luck.

If it's really been sitting for 30 years in a drawer, the NiCad batteries are dead, leaking, rotted, corroded, and disgusting. Don't try to charge it if the batteries are swollen or covered with white crud. They're ordinary 850ma-hr NiCad batteries and the battery pack can easily be rebuilt.

If there's corrosion damage and white crud on the inside, just clean it off with water and some mild solvent such as alcohol. Don't get anything near the keyboard or capillary action will suck in the liquids. Blow away the excess water, let air dry for a day, and you have a chance.

Also, check the shorting bar inside the charger connector, which has the bad habit of becoming intermittent. It may not be a bad on-off switch but a flaky shorting bar. Just clean the round pins around the shorting bar.

HP45 Crystal modification:

Drivel: Ancient photos of an HP65 rebuild.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Doesn't HP still use the keys with the color molded in (like Model-M's)?

That's the way I generally justify new tools, but SFMBO would never buy the calculator-sink connection. Now I just tell her that stuff is a business expense. ;-)

--
Keith
Reply to

Cool, thanks. I've sent this to my email.

--
Keith
Reply to