How to stop Piracy?

In the market where this example happened one year is nothing. It took us between 2 and 3 to recover the development cost. In year 5 we made a bucket of money, but it took that long to get there.

You promiced you would explain how I would get rich from the idea not that I would get rich from some later idea. The specific invention is all you have to work with. Suggesting that there are later improvements takes us from the specific case the pure speculation.

BTW: I never made any improvements from that point on. The design was for all practical purposes perfect at that point. Once the "slew rate" problem was fixed, there were no more problems.

I don't presume that they can make them better of even cheaper. They can make them in large quantities and with their large and powerful marketing arm, they can fill the entire market in short order.

Its obvious that you still haven't googled on "instantaneous floating point converter" or the like. You haven't studied up on the real case and tried to come up with a valid argument for the specific case.

[...]

No, you said I would get rich from that one idea. Under the situation you suggest, the IFP certainly would not get me rich. Other ideas, knowledge and skill that I may have may not be brought into the argument. You've made the suggestion that given one idea, you would show how I would get rich under your proposed system. So far you have failed to do so.

[...]

Linus didn't do a IFP. Go back to what you promiced. You promiced that given a specific case, you would show how I would get rich under your system. So far you have nothing to show.

Please explain exactly how you think this happens. All I've seen is a bunch a bobbing and weaving and vague suggestions that I would surely have other good ideas. You said I would get rich. So far you have nothing to show.

So far, its a question of is having $0.00 make me rich. You have in fact yet to show how the idea would gain me so much as $1.00 under your system. Please explain exactly how you think this would happen.

No, the goal was simply "rich".

This is a "free market" option. I am free to do as I like with my idea. I can sell it or I can keep it. Under your system, the IFP improvement would be taken from me by anyone (TI) would could mass produce it and I'd be left with nothing.

The US government is unlikely to have funded that idea. I've worked on other things that were funded by tax dollars. In fact, one of those helped, indirectly. to buy one of my houses.

The tax dollar funded projects were in fact DOD related. The extreme high returns in investments are the exception not the rule. Most of those sorts of things will make you a good return on investment but not something excessive. Whether the item being purchased is of any use to the guys in the field is another subject.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

But you\'re not in your right mind.
Reply to
John Fields

In article , John Fields wrote: [....]

Us : small upstart in the market. TI : Huge company with a world wide marketing arm that sends more people out to get sandwiches than our total payroll.

This wouldn't be "take market share" this would be "grind into the dust".

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:12:06 +0200, Zak Gave us:

Talk about retarded baby bullshit.

The second most retarded thing you can do in Usenet is announce your filter file edits, little boy.

The most retarded thing you can do is use a filter file.

Filter your news, and filter your mind.

Fuck off, dipshit.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 12 May 2006 00:15:07 +0200, Zak Gave us:

If it is a feature, it isn't for looks, dumbass.

If it is non functional, and "for looks" it would be a gimmick, dipshit.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

--
Yes, but since your market share with a patent would be 100% for 20
years, "take market share" and "grind into the dust" are synonymous.

My point exactly, thanks for reiterating. A free market, and not a centrally controlled system of forced redistribution of wealth, should decide that kind of thing.

Again: I'm not suggesting that anybody be forced to do or not do anything with ideas. You are the one defending that the use of ideas be controlled by a central government.

Again, I'm the one saying nobody but free market should decide that.

SBIR, NSF, NASA, DOD R&D, etc.

If you're looking for R&D money, take a look at requests for proposals from these agencies.

Seriously? Well it's totally inefficient for one. For another it's a huge drain on the US economy and taxpayer.

I'm glad you're coming around to my point of view. However, don't try telling that to the judge.. right now the law is that the government and the patent holders can in fact decide how much is enough and how much is too much.

Well I'm starting to think you're a talentless loser who resents having to compete in a free market. Not really, but I'll play along.

Cheers - shevek

Reply to
shevek4

--
What you\'re describing isn\'t a free market, it\'s a chaotic
free-for-all where the innovators are forced to dilute the return on

Also, it is not possible to have a secret patent. There are some things that can't be patented, here in the US, because the information must be kept secret. On those inventions, the US and mankind has to forgo the advantages having the information spread to others because of national security.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

In article , [....]

We are not talking about redistribution. We are talking about the government helping to protect my wealth. If I have an idea, it is mine. Noone has the right to take it from me and use it for their own gain. The local pizza shop can't take my car to make deliveries either.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

There are some patents that have been classified by the US government.

See above.

Reply to
Richard Henry

--
Yup. Early RADAR comes to mind.
Reply to

On Sun, 14 May 2006 18:00:45 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@green.rahul.net (Ken Smith) Gave us:

Yes, in areas like hardware level IP encryption, and other military communications realms.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 14 May 2006 11:20:17 -0700, "Richard Henry" Gave us:

Perhaps, but it isn't done that way now. The information involved NEVER gets seen by any eyes other than those involved with the design and manufacture of the item.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

As well as Hedy Lamarr's spread spectrum.

--
  Keith
Reply to

...and you know this because?

--
  Keith
Reply to

On Sun, 14 May 2006 19:23:56 -0400, Keith Gave us:

That's Hedley!

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On Sun, 14 May 2006 19:24:22 -0400, Keith Gave us:

I work on classified gear. Every day.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

...and you're talking about it here. Sure, Dimbulb. What an idiot!

--
  Keith
Reply to

  Keith