How to stop Piracy?

This can backfire alot.. Especially if the feature would hurt any legitimate user.

Reply to
pbdelete

people would pay it money to write software.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yes, but copyright infringement is not theft.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

If you are talking about governments, the US is not a good example of treating good non-US nations around the world. The piracy problem is small issue comparing to their police role here and there.

I guess now is their time. Europian nations were stealing from the world for centuries (and still do in some ways). What would you do if you have 2 bilion of people, mainly poor? You will go to every vilige to shot down every small pirate factory when you can't offer something better?

Anyway, I don't try to defend the pirates, just the global picture is not that simple

Goran

Reply to
eden

That's an opinion at odds with the masses (of non-thieves, anyway).

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Im a software dev John, but I cant agree there.

'Software' is not a physical thing - its a bunch of magnetic or optical dots on a disk. There is an infinite supply, in terms of being able to make as many copies as you like for little or no cost.

If somebody copies my software, I dont lose my copy.

It is very, very, *very* different to stealing a physical object from someone.

Reply to
Simon Scott

--
Yes, it is.  If it weren\'t there\'d be no need for copyright laws,
would there?

Taking something written by someone else and using it without the
author\'s permission is theft.
Reply to
John Fields

--
We treat our friends well, and we treat our enemies and our friends\'
enemies badly, but that\'s not what we\'re talking about.  The topic

--
True, but if the pattern of dots isn\'t of your own making, then
copying them without the permission of the person who organized them

It's not about your physical copy of the software, it's about getting paid for your efforts. How do you provide yourself with food, clothing, and shelter if you are working for free? Or do you think all software should be written on a hobby basis by people who make their living doing something else during the day? (Like maybe at one of those jobs that's about to be outsourced!)

Just a thought...

Bob Masta dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom D A Q A R T A Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Reply to
Bob Masta

I would say you (US Gov.) mind your interests only (as anybody else). And I don't believe we here can change the attitude of he Chinese government. Their mind their own interests, and at the moment I guess piracy is not their main warry. They don't have big music or sw industry to protect. They have many unemployeed.

Buying pirate CDs would not concerning me so much. Big producers are the problem. If somebody opens a shop near you and you can get there cheap software, is not you the one that makes the crime.

I know.

Goran

Reply to
eden

You know how it works. By waving some papers with a bunch of "zero invention height" patents on them, the poor are forced to pay big bucks for trivial useless junk. Since the rate of selling them junk is greater that they can pay for, they quickly accomodate a big debt.

Rene

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

Actually, it's more like what Jesus did, since he made a whole bunch of copies of fish and gave them away for free. And who wouldn't want to be more like Jesus?

Reply to
stickyfox

--
I\'m sure he had permission from the author of the fish.
Reply to

Nice!

Reply to
stickyfox

If you head down this path of reasoning, it seems to me it should follow that -- if piracy is OK -- it's also OK to "partially" steal anything you want from Wal*Mart by deducting any profit they would have otherwise made from selling that product.

There's nothing wrong with companies being paid to design software and/or hardware and then selling it for the cost of the copies -- which approaches zero in the case of software --, but there's also nothing wrong with a business model that says you want to make a profit on each and every copy sold, regardless of the price of copying.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

--
:-)
Reply to

and/or

approaches

copy

Of course there's nothing wrong. It's just a perfectly legal confidence trick. Nothing to do with stealing anything.. It's just a very minor part of the Capitalist System. You vote for it and that's what you get. Just carry on as usual without thinking of complaining. There's nobody there to complain to anyway. You set of poor, juvenile, deprived, innocent suckers! =======================================

Reply to
Reg Edwards

He had to make the fish. The bible says: "Man shall not live by bread alone."

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thus speaks Reg "The Demented One" Edwards ;-)

...Jim Thompson

         Old Latin teachers never die...they just decline