How do you design these days?

You haven't worked with The Brat.

I'm not working on the checklist... The Brat is!

The first page of our schematics is the block diagram and table of contents.

John

Copper tape is good medicine for FR4 shield boxes. Makes it much easier to have a continuous shield all the way round, and it's also great for putting hinged tops on shields. I use it all the time.

Although the glue is a reasonable insulator, the die-cutting process rolls the edge of the copper so that it'll almost always short out to the ground plane if you try using it as a bus bar. Little strips of FR4 are best for that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

I don't seem to have that around. I could redraw it, but it's not adaptable to bipolar use so may not do you any good.

We did do this...

but the circuit is quite complex and it wouldn't be prudent to post it publicly.

4 quadrants is even more interesting.

John

I've never even worked with a layout woman. Heck, not even any female hardware designers... although a few female programmers. (And one claimed to have done digital hardware design at a PPOE...)

Would you be willing to post it when she's done for the benefit of the rest of us plebes? :-) Arguably we can possibly even add value, recounting our own foibles.

Do you create those within PADS itself or use, e.g., Visio and then copy & paste? Do you use hierachical design on the schematic itself?

We've had a half-hearted effort to keep a list of design revisions on the last page of the schematic, but it's just a table and a bunch of text boxes drawn in ORCAD itself, which makes it pretty much impossible to readily search or archive. It's better than nothing, though, so I can't really complain.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yeah, I need first and fourth quadrant, at least. My application is transformer coupled so I can bias the voltage anywhere but bipolar current is important. I think I have one that works, but it's not very pretty and takes a moose of an opamp.

I remember that.

That's fine. It's gotta be relatively cheap (cheaper than sixteen FET switches and port replicator). Thanks, anyway.

Reply to
krw

The best two layout-ers I've worked with pre-Brat were women.

I've never worked with a full-time female circuit designer, or even met one to my knowledge. I have worked with lots of female programmers, scientists, and managers.

I know one physical chemist who got pregnant and didn't want to be around chemicals and magnets for the duration. She wandered the halls, saw some guys designing FPGAs, and decided to do that. So she did, very well. But she can do anything. She was the R&D manager last time I checked.

Sure, will do when it's presentable. Additions are welcome.

We draw it with PADS Logic, which isn't a bad drawing program. I don't like hierachical schematics, so all of mine are flat, over 30 B-size pages some time.

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/22SS346A.pdf

John

Great, thanks John.

I like hiearchical schematics if you have a bunch of repeated "blocks" so that you only have to make a change to, e.g., a component value once rather than 8 times over. For just breaking down complexity, at some level hiearchy starts to make sense, but whether or not the benefit outweighs the "everything right here, all in front of you" appeal of a flat design pretty subjective... your

30 B pages undoubtedly works just peachy.

Nice!

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

do

Or my layouter for that matter. He always comes up with good ideas.

checklist"

Still working off that Jeep that she bought with college "savings"?

headers/connectors

That's what the guys at Cadsoft seem not to fully grasp :-(

Otherwise Eagle would almost be perfect and their sales volume could more than double.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Same here. The first one drove a souped-up Z28, Mario Andretti style.

I've worked with one that did switch-mode supply designs, something most engineers seem not to enjoy at all. Note to readers: Too late, she's now married.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

krw Inscribed thus:

Agreed ! Very definitely not. I would suspect debris in the taper could cause that, even an oil film might. Wood dust would be difficult to clean out completely. The Morse tapers have to be kept scrupulously clean. A draw bar would eliminate the problem at the risk of loosing concentricity due to any trapped debris.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

The debris isn't the issue. Puting side pressure on a drill press will ruin the quill bearings. They're not designed for forces in that direction. A milling machine is.

As far as side pressure loosening a MT chuck, do the physics.

Reply to
krw

I find 30 pages a bit much. The schematic for the main board in our widget is 10 'C' size pages, but it's viewable on 'C' size. If I were to redraw them they would probably go on 12 or 14 'B' sized pages.

I don't get a lot of information out of that drawing. Certainly not as much as the top level of a hierarchical schematic.

Reply to
krw

Never had a female layouter work on my designs.

Um, does she still switch modes after she married? What does her husband think about that? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Some of my largest boards were done by female layouters. Three DIN connectors high extra length boards with eight or more layers and such.

Actually he is very skilled in the design of high power switch mode stuff so they are probably quite compatible :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

made=20

Many=20

is it=20

to a PC=20

still=20

in=20

to=20

Is that 0.085 or 0.141 semirigid.

Reply to
JosephKK

made=20

how=20

to a=20

=20

in=20

to=20

amalgamate=20

fraction=20

=20

close=20

works=20

a=20

onto=20

a=20

ink is=20

Carbon and black dye laden polyethylene is rather resistant to ferric = chloride=20 and ammonium persulphate. Not so much BF3. But BF3 is NOT suitable for = casual=20 use.

Not to mention the process pretty well tops out for two sided boards.

paper=20

The transfer process is the limiting factor, closely followed my = multipass=20 printing registration issue (very especially for any attempt at fine = pitch).

it's=20

good=20

up=20

And the total process is called a Gootee board named after Tom. He has = been=20 seen in this NG recently.

Reply to
JosephKK

But, where do you find it! RS no longer carries it, and I couldn't even find it at Fry's this week!

Had to buy just some 26AWG to do some prototyping...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

What? You're on usenet yet don't download the craploads of pirated design software available in other groups?

Don't worry about it being stealing. You'll be forgiven for downloading it. afaik you only go to hell if you have to give up Christianity due to subconscious psychosis due to massively conflicting data between bible writings and science.

btw.. I used EB5 long ago.. It's ok.

Reply to
D from BC

message=20

claimed to=20

rest of=20

own=20

This may be done best when it is not really presentable but something = like organized,=20 and repeated when it is halfway or better in shape.

copy &=20

Reply to
JosephKK

I go round the corner into the stores. There's loads in there!

Where it came from, nobody knows :-)

durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it."
                                             (Stephen Leacock)
Reply to
Fred Abse