Wima capacitors any good these days?

I remember from TV repair in ancient history that it always was the Wima capacitors that failed. (and Vitrohm composite carbon resistors). Now I was looking for some 1 kV and 2kV .047uF, and conrad.nl only lists Wima for that voltage. MKS4-foliecondensator 0,047F 2000V Number manufacturer: MKS4 0.047F2000V It is for filtering a HV supply... The name Wima still triggers alarms in me. Are those OK now?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

capacitors that failed.

for that voltage.

If Conrad sells them it is safe to assume they are not OK.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Sun, 11 Sep 2011 17:39:18 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

capacitors that failed.

for that voltage.

mm I have been a customer of conrad.nl for lets see... > 20 years maybe. Only ONCE did I buy a not so good product, some cheap microscope. I still have it, probably value for money anyways. So I think you are severely biased some way. Come to think of it, since Conrad sells it, Wima is now probably OK. I will order some. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Why not use a Vishay part? , or Cornell Dubilier ?

Martin Riddle

capacitors that failed.

for that voltage.

Look online in DigiKey and Mouser..

Reply to
Robert Baer

Old saying:

Don't be Vague... Ask for Sprague.... Capacitors...

boB

Reply to
boB

capacitors that failed.

I had some leaded mylar WIMAs fail, a long time ago. They weren't encased as such, just stacked film/foil with metalized end caps. Board washing ruined them, filled them with water.

Allen-Bradley clained that there was never a failure of their carbon comps, short of abuse. Not one, ever. Might be true.

John

capacitors that failed.

for that voltage.

The guy is an idiot. Wima makes some of the best caps in the world and are still doing fine.

The company he dissed only goes to show that twits like him are pretty much meaningless.

Reply to
Chieftain of the Carpet Crawle

On a sunny day (11 Sep 2011 22:06:00 -0500) it happened boB wrote in :

With so many suggestions from all the people here it becomes very difficult. Maybe I should test the Wimas at 2 x Vmax the Larkin way. Those are specified as 'self healing'....

Reason to use conrad.nl is that a lot of other stuff also comes from there, so no shipping cost, and fast delivery. And of course I want to buy European these days. Just to punish Obama and Soros. :-) hehe I think Wima is Italian ?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 11 Sep 2011 20:30:35 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

capacitors that failed.

OK, yes, these ones are encapsulated, rather big actually.

Those Vitromhs would crack open, or the lower values would burn and become zero ohms on the meter. Piece of coal.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

capacitors that failed.

Wima for that voltage.

0V

I've seen wima caps in high volume CCFT driver boards, so I never understood how the company got such a reputation for crappy components yet sold so many parts.

Reply to
miso

capacitors that failed.

for that voltage.

I used to buy from Conrad but the stuff was always a bit crappy. At one time I bought two relatively expensive power supplies from them. After a short while they both broke down. I could fix one by replacing the current sensing resistors. I had to send the other one back 4 times before they noticed it was really broken and they had to replace it with a new one.

Buying stuff like cables, etc is very expensive from Conrad. Better buy it from Dealextreme or Ebay.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Sep 2011 09:28:11 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

capacitors that failed.

Wima for that voltage.

Some things are crazy expensive from them, like LCDs. But they have a lot in stock, over a very wide field. I bought a 2 x 150 RMS audio amp from them for 67 Euro.

19 inch rack, the toroid mains transformer alone was worth it. Also bought scope probes from them, very nice actually. They sell crap and they sell top quality stuff. It is always your choice, they sell toys too, model airplanes etc. Free shipping above 25 Euro, so nearly always.
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Sep 2011 01:37:47 -0700 (PDT)) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com" wrote in :

Marketing?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No, German.

Vito Corti

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:36:38 +0200) it happened "Vito Corti" wrote in :

Ah, OK, Germany needs some cash too :-) Just ordered them, and a whole lot of otehr stuff, sone VERY high tech.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

capacitors that failed.

Wima for that voltage.

It easier to have a company. Farnell and RS ship for free to companies even if your order a resistor worth ? 0.05 . Overal I order quite a lot from them. I think I'll turn pale if I calculate the total amount.

And now I remember a good Conrad product: their relay boards are very cheap, reliable and easy to control.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Am 12.09.2011 12:50, schrieb Jan Panteltje:

No, learning by progress, IMHO.

The old Wima "LakritzBonbon"

are the culprit for the crappy reputation in their early years, but these are from the fifties!!! of the last century!

The black or brown potting compound was not long term watertight and got brittle with temerature cycling, therefore the capacitors are soaking water and died. The parts from the sixties onwards are inconspicuous and from (IMHO Very) good quality.

Some other Capacitor Manufacturer has/had also Problems,

lots of Rifa (Sweden) Y-Capacitors went into smoke:

because the epoxy cracs and moisture gets in:

The Sprague (US) "Black Beauty" are also prone to fail, (Ask all Tektronix Tube Scope 545 etc refurbisher) but with no visible defects in the body.

Jorgen dj0ud

Reply to
Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen

On a sunny day (Mon, 12 Sep 2011 16:49:23 +0200) it happened "Lund-Nielsen, Jorgen" wrote in :

Yes! Those are the ones! :-)

But I am even older ...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Sprauge dropped those oil filled paper 'Black Beauty' capacitors a long time ago.

Michael A. Terrell