Home Project, Mechanical Question...

Moving 8' and 10' folding tables.

It would be nice to have a one-wheel dolly to stick under one end (on edge, while folded-up), so I could wheel them around by myself.

Any ideas, suggestions? ...Jim Thompson

?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Here are 2 ready made units for inspiration

Art

Reply to
Artemus

Assuming your arms are too short to allow carrying one between arm and torso (which is how I carry "banquet tables"), consider a roller skate (or, skateboard).

(a "hand truck w/ training wheels" will also do the trick but few people have them)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

But watch out when the table reaches 30mph. Seriously, those have ball bearing wheels, whirrrrrrrr ... *CRUNCH* ... "Honey, are you ok? Was that an earthquake?"

Costco sometimes has foldable hand trucks. $20-$30. But make sure to get one where the wheels can remain folded sideways (in line) while the shelf is flipped outwards to hold a table. Probably a minor mechanical mod can also achieve that. Nice thing is, these can be collapsed to a size where they fit nicely onto a regular shelf when not needed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I think *finding* a "classic" roller skate might be hard, nowadays (even the "cheapie" skates from the '60s are built better than many things today).

Hmmm... I wonder if an "inline skate" would work as well? Probably a bit harder to modify...

I have a "handtruck w/ training wheels". I.e., you can put a refrigerator on it and push it down the street with one hand (the training wheels support the load while holding it "tipped backwards" like a regular hand truck's operation).

A pinball dolly would be a good alternative :> (I opted for the "hand truck w/ training wheels" as I can use it for my pinball machines *and* "other things")

You can always put a pair of solid (e.g., lawn mower style) wheels on a shaft nailed to a block of wood.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Dolly Cartin? That's as bad as a trailer company called 'Wells Cargo'.

mike

Reply to
m II

Yep, Banquet tables. Our family and friends groups has grown to that scale (irrespective of what you think of my politics, I have bucket-loads of friends :-). Usually my wife helps me carry, but she has a serious back injury now. I can carry them myself, but on this hillside, with sloping sidewalks and driveways, a gadget that clamped (or otherwise) on one end, with a wheel would be nice. ...Jim Thompson

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault:  Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%

Something like this?

Martin Riddle

Here's one at go2marine in WA.

Martin Riddle

I have a luggage trolley called the "Magna Cart", presumably useful for hauling your habeas corpus around.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Don't bother!

I bought one of those to move some 1' 4 x 8 plywood. The tiny, hard wheels would hang up on *everything*.

A huge disappointment.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

message

Don't bother with the Troll!

I bought one of those to move some 1' 4 x 8 plywood. The tiny, hard wheels would hang up on *everything*.

A huge disappointment.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Actually, you use a two wheel dolly so you can control its track as you move better.

Ever seen a pool table dolly?

So, what you want is the mini version.

A 5 inch wide foot plate, and a 6 inch wide track between two about 3" diameter polyurethane wheel, which are dirt cheap in the industrial channels, as you know.

The handle goes to the left or right side, not down the middle. That is the key.

You walk up to the table edge with the dolly right next to the center of the table (slight offset). Lift up the table high enough to clear the wheel and place it down on the dolly foot plate. Pry back the guide/handle with a thumb on the table's top edge, Which jacks the entire load off the floor (parallel), and start walking slowly beside your payload longways.

It is like a standard two wheel dolly, but it is turned 90 degrees.

Sorry, one table at a time. Walk slowly, turn slowly and deliberately examine turns BEFORE you get to them.

Not for use on stairs either.

Real pool table dollies cradle the entire table on the long ends, and the wheels are bigger, so it can actually *do* stairs.

Other solution. Get the spirited grandson to grab them with one in each hand and transport them to the place where you need them.

Live robots are far better, and more fun sometimes too.

Reply to
My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do

Beautiful. Needs a bigger foot though.

Best value I've seen yet.

That one is only $36 where some folks want way more, and Home Depot and the like want way less, like $13 or something.

These, however, have rubber pad faces. I do not know how durable it is, but it looks pretty cool. Worth getting one to see. Worth $36? Idunno.

Here is one of the HD versions, completely different style, for big loads like pool tables:

My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do

The Trojan is real nice looking. It clamps too.

Those repo folks could probably use a few of those at times.

A larger, single sided (one arm, one tire), trailing arm caster type deal would be perfect for grabbing cars.

They already have those jiffy jacks, but they cannot drive down the road with those.

These would be for "Git-the-shit-n-git". :-)

Reply to
My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do

Har.

Reply to
My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do

message

And that makes him a troll exactly how?

Reply to
My Name Is Tsu How Do You Do

An axle, 2 wheels - much better than 1 - and some wood.

1x6 1x6 -- -- ww | | | | ww ww | |___| | ww ww | | | | ww ==================== < axle ww | |___| | ww ww -- -- ww ww ^^^ ww 2x4 2 pieces of 1x6 7" long sandwiching a 5 1/2" long 2x4, an axle through the "sandwich" and wheels on the axle. Carpeting is glued to the 1x6 such that the table jams into the space between the 2 1x6 pieces. The carpeting prevents marking the table, as well as gripping it. Another piece of 1x6 (not shown) across the end of the "sandwich" so that you have a pocket into which one corner of the table is placed. If you have different thicknesses to move, use a loose piece of carpet to shim for the thinner table(s), and size the sandwich + glued on carpet to "grab" the thickest table fairly firmly.

Works fine, as long as you push to move. If you try to pull, you may pull the table out of the pocket - you'd need straps to hold the wheel assembly on the table while pulling.

By the way, the same idea (without wheels) works great for holding a door upright with the long edge on the floor in the pocket at one corner and the short edge perpendicular to the floor. Used for planing the long edge/cutting notches for hinges, that sort of thing. For that use, a 3' long 2x4 is used in place of the wheels and axle to provide lateral stability.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

message

The product, not Artemus. It's called a 'Telpro Troll'.

That troll.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston