home brew S-100 backplane project

Hi! I don't know if there are any S-100 enthusiasts who are on SED but on the chance you are here...

I've designed a home brew S-100 backplane project. I have several PCBs available for testing and am looking for experienced S-100 hobbyists for the initial evaluation. The PCBs are $32 each with $2 shipping in the US if you are interested in participating. Please contact me offline if interested.

Please note this is a purely amateur volunteer home brew project and totally noncommercial. Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Reply to
lynchaj

I can believe the non-commercial bit! And for totally non-commercial get an S100 system to run Vista:-)

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Check out those file sizes (like a 32KB basic compiler). The pdf file for MBASIC is larger than the whole freakin' CPM operating system!

I think I can even remember how to use PIP (the Peripheral Interchange Program).

2400.mac 1KB 38400.mac 1KB L80.COM 11KB SUPERSUB.COM 2KB BASLIB.REL 24 KB WS.OVR 52KB WSMSGS.OVR 14KB WSPRINT.OVR 147KB FORMATA.COM 320bytes ASM.COM 8KB BASCOM.COM 32KB BRUN.COM1 5KB DDT.COM 5KB DDTZ.COM 10KB DIRX.COM 3KB DUMP.COM 384bytes ED.COM 7KB FORMATB.COM 320bytes KEYBOARD.COM 3KB LCD20X4.COM 3KB LIB80.COM 5KB LOAD.COM 2KB LU.COM 20KB M80.COM 20KB SURVEY.COM 1KB PIP.COM 7KB pmautoae.com 30KB R.COM 4KB SIMPLE.COM 3bytes SPEED.COM 1KB STAT.COM 5KB XM50LB1.COM 3KB UNLOAD.COM 1KB VDE263.COM 13KB ZDE.COM 17KB XM.COM 3KB XMODEM38.COM 2KB XSUB.COM 768bytes XZI.COM 7KB BCLOAD 128bytes mbasic.pdf 2.39MB MBASIC.COM 24KB VEDIT.COM 33KB VINST263.COM 10KB W.COM 4KB WS.COM 7KB WSU.COM 17KB XIZ.COM 6KB

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax Inscribed thus:

Its one way of getting people to visit his website !

--
Best Regards:
                        Baron.

C>pip destination source

I once had a devil of a time teaching that to an accountant! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Very retro. And nostalgic, too. I understand there are still Commodore

64 groups around, too.

Within the last twelve months, I actually threw out an eight socket S-100 backplane, an S-100 specifications manual, and a handful of breadboard PCBs. Gone forever.

I cut my teeth on S-100 about 1978, helping a technician in my group assemble memory and !/O boards when I needed a break from the paperwork. They used more power than an arc welder, but they worked.

Dangerous Bill

Reply to
Dangerous Bill

Core?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Hi Bill! If you find any more stuff like that please contact me. Especially wire wrap supplies or parts. I use them all the time and it breaks my heart to see them tossed in the garbage. I will use them or find someone who will appreciate them.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Reply to
lynchaj

Z-80. It was being used for acoustic analysis in marine projects.

DB

Reply to
Dangerous Bill

No, I meant, was it core memory? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Hi! I updated the N8VEM S-100 wiki folder with the latest schematics and PCB layout. I made some minor clean up changes but nothing of consequence. Also added an S-100 board "blank template" for designing S-100 board using KiCAD.

I made a quick and dirty S-100 prototyping board if anyone is interested they can review that. All comments, questions, and/or suggestions welcome. If there is enough interest in the S-100 prototyping board I may do a PCB manufacturing run. Please let me know offline. I am guessing the PCBs would be about $25 each or so due to small numbers.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Reply to
lynchaj

SED

I still have some wirewrap kit. Ain't ready to let go yet. Actually used it a few years ago.

Reply to
JosephKK

I still have my wirewrap tools and wire, and use them on nearly every project. Wire wrap wire makes good vias and ECO wire :-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

I used wirewrap wire almost exclusively for prototyping, and solder-tag sockets. I filed the rivet off a WSU-30M cutter blade, and clamped the blade into an X-acto handle; I could make pre-stripped daisy chain wires. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What, a real, 70's style S-100 system? Why?

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

How about DEBUG? I'm sure I could still operate WordStar. ;^)

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Nah. 4116s, most likely.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Hi! Just a quick update on the N8VEM home brew computing project specifically the S-100 PCBs. The N8VEM S-100 backplane PCBs are all sent to the testers and the results so far have been positive. There were some "clean up" issues with the documentation but no "show stoppers" identified. If anyone would like to get their own N8VEM S-100 backplane PCB please contact me and I will place you on the waiting list for the next batch.

Based on the feedback I've gotten so far there does not appear to be a need for an N8VEM S-100 linear power supply PCB. Builders can use commercial SMPSUs or repurposed SMPSUs which is what I do. If you are interested in an N8VEM S-100 linear power supply PCB please contact me off list to discuss. I'll offer one if there is sufficient interest to warrant a manufacturing run of prototype LPSU PCBs. Of course you could make your own S-100 LPSU or use a legacy LPSU.

Today Fedex attempted to deliver my first batch of the N8VEM S-100 prototyping boards. They will be available tomorrow for $25 each plus shipping which is typically $2 in the US and $5 overseas. With the S-100 backplane, an SMPSU, and an S-100 prototyping board you have enough to make your own S-100 home brew computer. There is additional information on the N8VEM S-100 prototyping board at the N8VEM wiki in the S100 folder.

I am considering making some additional S-100 boards such as an 8080A CPU board, SRAM board, and serial IO board but have no firm plans at the moment. If you are interested in cooperating with me on an S-100 home brew project please contact me off list. Most likely most people in SED will not be interested in S-100 home brew computing so this should probably be continued on comp.os.cpm or at the N8VEM mailing list.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

PS, please join us on the N8VEM mailing list and wiki. There are several N8VEM home brew computing PCBs available.

lynchaj

[snip]

The N8VEM S-100 prototyping board PCBs arrived today. I built one and it works great. Fits just fine and all the voltages are correct and in the right places. The PCBs turned out very nice. Please contact me off list if interested in getting one or more. I posted some photos on the N8VEM wiki in the S100 folder.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

Reply to
lynchaj