Embedded systems + VHDL on FPGA home project

My hello to all members out there. I have great interest in embedde
systems and networking, and have worked on an 8051-based platform for ove
2 years as part of my Master's research (C programming).

Unfortunately, my job (first job ever) doesn't have anything to do wit
embedded so I want to start a whole home project of a system from th
ground up, using embedded systems, coding every single part of it, t
build data pipes on network protocols. I want to start off slow, buildin
my own TCP/IP stack, adding protocols to it, then changing and addin
protocols, both below and above the TCP / IP stack, bypassing the stack a
times as well.

My goals are to implement, ethernet, 802.11 (not the RF part, all th
logic part), 802.16e, VoIP, over a long time. My tools will be embedde
platforms running RTOS as well as VHDL code synthesized onto FPGAs.

I am undecided on how to start, what to set as my short term goal, wha
hardware and software to select, where to do my research, fin
documentation on protocols and where to learn.

If anyone has any idea, could help out in any way, (guidance, suggestion
etc..) it would be very much appreciated.

My expected outcome from the project is to learn RTOS concepts, an
protocol implementation concepts on embedded systems.

Re: Embedded systems + VHDL on FPGA home project
I am writing a blog about embedded design using a Xilinx ML403 board.
Maybe you can find some help there. http://www.fpgafromscratch.com

Sven

Re: Embedded systems + VHDL on FPGA home project
I am writing in my blog about embedded design using a ML403 evaluation
board from Xilinx. Maybe you can get some help there.
http://www.fpgafromscratch.com

Sven

Site Timeline