home project (garage door open detector)

My garage door is constantly being left open but various unnamed members of the family. I'd like to design a wireless device that detects the door being open and lights an LED in the kitchen if the door is open and turns it off if it is closed.

The garage is detached and about 30' from the house and there is a brick veneer wall on the outside of the house. The kitchen is on the other side of that wall.

I'm thinking I can tap the state of the limit "closed" limit switch on the garage door and turn on the transmitter if the switch is open, turning on the LED in the kitchen.

The logic parts will be fairly easy it is transmitter and reciever and associatd antennas. that will be tricky.

Anyone have any ideas for a project like this.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Yep. Just buy it...

I bought mine at a better price, so surf a bit before you buy.

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Sun, 20 Aug

2006, Mook Johnson writes

You could modify a wireless doorbell. Since you aren't touching the RF part, it might even be legal.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Well, Jim has already given you the best answer - buy one! At

Reply to
Tim Auton

I would look into using the AC line between the house and garage as a transmission line to carry a fairly low frequency carrier. Someplace around the low end of the AM band.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

Thanks

I found it on ebay for $12...$16 shipped. Well that saved a lot of time. :)

Mook Johnson

now that is a interesting idea! Kinda like X10.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Piece of cake - buy one of those "remote finders" or "you've got mail"-in your rural mailbox, or wireless doorbells, and attach it to a tilt/mercury switch to transmit when the door is up.

Or sound a horn that quickly conditions the offenders to close the door - with a 5 minute reset or something to keep you from going crazy too.

default

I suppose that's the end of the world as I know it.

I don't suppose you could fill up lots of buckets of cold water and dump them in beds in the house and say.......

'Whoops, Gosh..... sorry

I FORGOT TO FLUSH THE TOILET AND COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO WAIT FOR THE CISTERN TO FILL UP AGAIN SO I GOT THESE BUCKETS OF WATER TO DO THE JOB, BECAUSE IT'S REALLY EMBARRASING HAVING TURDS FLOATING IN THE TOILET, AND THEN I WASN'T ABLE TO WORK OUT WHAT TO DO WITH THEM SO IT SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA TO TOSS THEM ON ABSORBANT MATERIAL BECAUSE LIKE I THOUGHT ABOUT WASHING THE GARAGE DOOR BUT WHEN I WENT DOWNSTAIRS IT WASN'T THERE'

Are you a man or a mouse?

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Of course you might borrow a flame thrower from the local NRA then stand in the drive and totally torch the contents.

You would need some old neighbor bloke standing by.......

'Damn! I'm sure that wouldn't have happened if the door was closed.'

'Dang tooting.'

DNA

Reply to
Genome

I thought this was a really great idea until I started thinking about it. The doorbell button sends a momentary signal. When do you send it? not when the door first opens. How about resetting it? I think the best bet is to forget about radio and use wire. Unless the ground is paved over, you can bury it a couple of inches.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

In message , dated Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Tam/WB2TT writes

What did you not understand about 'modify'?

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Pretty sure the accepted phrase is, 'Darn tooting.'

Is this another case of differences in phraseology between the US and GB like bonnet-hood or boot-trunk, or maybe some just kind of genomic irony?

Reply to
xray

In message , dated Mon, 21 Aug 2006, xray writes

Genome is Australian, or so I believe. They do speak a sort of English, or claim to. But I suspect 'dang' is just a slip.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

How ot you handle this response...."Whoopsie I forgot again!!!"

Just keep beatin asses until they remember or CPS come to drag me off..which ever come first.

I think I like my $16 solution.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Here in the south its

Darn tootin'. :)

Reply to
Mook Johnson

The guy could have buried 10 feet of wire in the time it took you to come up with this.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

I wouldnt bother with designing this-- it's been done many times over.

Try a few of these ideas on for size:

Buy a remote thermometer. For $19.95 you get an indoor base station and two transmitters.

Place one transmitter outdoors so you will get the outside temp. Take the other transmitter and put a "burglar" reed switch in series with one thermistor lead. Place the burglar sensor on your garage door.

Then when your garage door is closed, you'll get the garage temperature reading. When it's open, you'll get a very high or low temp reading, or a line of dashes. Only glitch is it only updates every few minutes so its not the most timely of sensors.

--------------

Buy a X10 console and a few remote sensors. Cheap and mostly reliable.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

Well, drat! Which is it?

Reply to