home battery

There is the theory that oil and gas are of inorganic origin. I don't know the status of that. There are lots of hydrocarbons on comets and such.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We have so much antisocial behavior going on here, this little offense is way down in the noise.

But I do notice that people in Truckee behave way better than people in San Francisco. When I go up there, I have to remember to switch social gears. When the Safeway+Tesla lot is full, it's because the town is jammed with city-tourists.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

But they don't produce a uniform overcast over a vast area. Cloud is generated by wet air getting cooler - so you tend to get 50% cloud as some air moves up and gets cooler while an equal mass moves down and gets warmer.

Tropical cyclones are a different story, but they don't qualify as "very big", at least not in my lexicon, and when they come ashore power distribution isn't the first problem that you are thinking about.

The grid system we've got moves power from a very few centres out to an extended periphery. Solar power is never going to be as concentrated as coal-fired or hydroelectric power stations.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Does that make it inorganic?

Reply to
John S

Don't be a PITA. You know what I meant.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well, with no cord... ;-)

Reply to
krw

I'm not, John. No, I do know what you meant. How can I ask the question so that you are not offended?

Reply to
John S

Organic as in coming from life forms, vs. organic as in carbon-hydrogen chemistry.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Okay, well, I can tell that you guys are just making fun of me. Never mind, then.

Reply to
John S

What in the world are you talking about? Nobody's teasing you, you're just misunderstanding. The point at issue is whether most terrestrial hydrocarbons are of biological or primordial origin.

There was some excitement in the 1980s, iirc, about "deep gas", i.e. primordial methane trapped deeper in the crust than ordinary gas fields. Nothing came of it that I know of, except a lot of worn-out drill bits.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

snip

The Geologists know. It is from organic matter. LOCAL, RECENT (relatively) MATTER.

SPACE objects brought and continue to bring WATER here. Not coal.

It didn't rain coal. It rained KT boundary layer, and the hell those years of exposure brought. Lots of organic matter to meld into the Earth's layered 'onion'.

We need to send a bunch of water up to The Moon or over to Mars to reduce what is here and get some beach front back. Maybe find Atlantis again before it is over.

More likely see Yellowstone blow its top again. That is what most of us deserve anyway.

You know not the hour.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I used an el chepo light meter (non-calibrated) and got yesterday on a cloudy day 1000-2000 lx no matter what direction. Today with some overcast and perhaps 2/8 cloudiness, I got 30 000 lx.

While I wouldn't trust accurate readings from that silicon based meter, but even with that tool and other measurement tools, I still claim that the direct sunlight is several times stronger than the light coming through the clouds.

Reply to
upsidedown

Of course I am. That's why I asked.

Reply to
John S

We just made a Safeway run, and I had a camera handy.

Still no sign of customers. It's a 7200 foot climb from SF to Truckee, and Tesla batteries don't like to be cold. Not a good ski car!

The red thing is my 250 HP Audi Rabbit, which is a good ski car.

We just made a Safeway run, and I had a camera handy.

Still no sign of customers. It's a 7200 foot climb from SF to Truckee, and Tesla batteries don't like to be cold. Not a good ski car!

The red thing is my 250 HP Audi Rabbit, which is a good ski car.

John, What do you think about the design of the electron pumps? Looks pretty robust to me, just like the car. The Tesla is safer than your 'bit and better traction in snow. Batteries suck, so cold is a problem but handles elevation better than your animal. I bet you would just love to drive a Tesla, more acceleration, no screaming valves, seamless shifting from zero to 100, to zero with minimal wheel slip. Oh, those pumps operate at about 1 minute per recharge mile where your 'bit is about is about 0.02 minutes per refuel mile.

Cheers, Harry

Reply to
Harry D

The 2WD drive versions sure aren't. I don't know how a 4WD Tesla handles in the snow; I've never seen one up here.

Batteries

I can accelerate up the steepest slope around here, blasting past 100 MPH.

My valves don't scream!

I have ridden in a Tesla. Acceleraton is impressive, but useless; my A3 has more acceleration than any sane person needs. Teslas are ugly and impractical. I wonder what will happen as the batteries begin to wear out, at $25K a set. Who would want to buy a used Tesla?

No sane person needs any kind of muscle car. Transportation is there to get you from A to B. Muscle cars shave seconds off journey times, but are much more expensive to insure because the consequences of a moment's inattentio n can be more dramatic when there's more power available.

Since only a narcissist would buy a new Audi - who else would spend that ki nd of money on a car whose main job is to look impressive - your incapacity to imagine the answer implies a rather low level of self-knowledge.

My wife gets around in a Mercedes 180B because it was the cheapest car at t he Sydney motor show that offered four-way adjustment on the passenger fron t seat. On long trips, she spends half the time sitting there, and without four-way adjustment she can't get comfortable.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Actually, I think it's because those who desire to own muscle cars are the kind of people most likely to wrap vehicles round any available obstacle, though the insurers will simply go by the statistics.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I needed a car that would work in the city (small, able to climb steep hills) and 4WD for driving in the mountains in snow, to cruise past the chain controls. I didn't want an SUV or one of those klunky Subaru things. But it is a kick to drive. The trick about driving hard is to only do it when it's clearly safe.

Audi has ruined the new A3, turned it into a boring little sedan with the wussy 2L turbo. I don't understand why anybody would buy a car that's not a hatchback.

My neighbor has a red Ferrari but hardy ever drives it. He spends most of his time polishing it. And when he drives it a few miles, he needs to remove all the wheels to clean the dust off the disc brakes when he gets home.

Bill Bowden