having a hard time finding these components

I desperately need these three items for a project, but I'm having a hard time finding them. I had hoped to order all from a single source to save shipping costs, but I don't know if that's feasible. A cross reference with same pinouts might be helpful, but even having trouble with that... and running short on time. Any parts source and/or good cross reference would be welcomed. Thank you.

D40D5 NPN power tab transistor

2n2646 UJT MCR 106-8 or C107D or 2n4444
Reply to
TheExperimenter

------------------------

** Please, try making something designed this century, not 50 years ago.

You are just making life hard for yourself.

I remember buying 2N4444s in 1970 for use in a PSU crowbar circuit.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That was Phil's way of saying, "Tell us what you are trying to build and maybe we can help you build something better than uses currently available parts."

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Am 26.10.2019 um 01:33 schrieb TheExperimenter:

HTH, peter

Reply to
PeterSchneider

For english, change

D5

acat=0

Reply to
Steve Wilson

English

German

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

... an old GE part, 60V, 1A NPN, with LOTS of available just-as-good replacements I'd consider TIP31C

a metal-case UJT; there's still 2N6027 in production, in a plastic case

a 400V 4A SCR, plastic; not used much, there are more flexible power options nowadays, but MCR72-8 is still around (TO-220 instead of TO-202 case)

Reply to
whit3rd

Briefly checking over your suggestions and plugging them in, they seem like possible good options, but I lack the ability to find out if they'd be direct substitutions, or would I have to make circuit changes, swap leads. I don't mind swapping leads if I had to, but circuit changes I wouldn't be able to make. Any more info on these would be welcome, including where I might be able to plug in and get results for as many equivalent cross references as possible. Thanks!

Reply to
TheExperimenter

It would be a good idea if you were to post a schematic, then others could evaluate the viability of substitutes.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Unfortunately, the exact schematic does not appear online and is copyrighted. However, it appeared in Radio Electronics Magazine September 1986, p. 42 stun gun. A similar one adapted from the article is here, but does not use the same components:

I built the gun from the kit in 1994, but my wife used it a month ago and burned it out while scaring off a would be attacker.

I originally contacted the firm that made it, but have not heard back after several weeks, so I went parts looking myself. I don't trust the ones with the puny "400 KV" modules that seem to be front and center now. This one really worked and was tested scientifically at the time which is why I'd like to get the replacement components.

Reply to
TheExperimenter

"400kV" tested by Big Clive.

Jasen Betts

I have seen that video. I do have one of the modules. It uses about 12 watts of power on the input side, not sure how much output. Up to 3/4" sparks on a good day so maybe 15-20 Kv tops. No, it isn't going to paralyze anyone. Might cause pain but that's about it. The one I'm trying to repair though is a different story. 2" sparks between terminals, pokes holes in a water filled styrofoam cup almost instantly. The transformers are still good, but two of the solid state components bad which is why I was searching for replacements. I hope folks can help. Trying to find the originals would be too costly.

Reply to
TheExperimenter

---------------------

** Unfortunately that is an ILLEGAL weapon in many coutries - including Australia. So I'm out.

FYI:

This post fits perfectly my description of the vast majority of usenet inquiries about home projects:

Its either stupid, dangerous or illegal - sometimes all three.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sorry you feel that way, but I understand. Where I live in the US, they are not illegal.

Not this I don't quite concur, but you are welcome to your opinion. I am not here to argue, just to procure the necessary replacement parts and/or their equivalents.

Reply to
TheExperimenter

, they

By the way, it was for possible responses like yours which is why I was hesitant to post further information, but Winfield Hill suggested it, so

I reluctantly decided to do so. If anyone else has to bow out due to the possible legal issues, I'll fully understand. That being said, I do

see plenty of electronic devices far more dangerous than this that people are working on all the time (hobby x-ray machines, for example), yet I see a lot of information freely offered to such ventures.

Reply to
TheExperimenter

I have never seen somebody touting an x-ray machine around to paralyse people.

If I ever see you waving an electrocuting device at me, I reserve the right to use lethal force on you........

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

No, but some of the alleged powers I've seen hobbyists claim they are using don't paralyze, they could sicken (radiation sickness) in short order. I would say that's far more serious than temporarily paralysis.

Whatever.....

Reply to
TheExperimenter

Radio Electronics is available online, along with other hobby electronics magazines:

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Thanks, I wasn't aware of that. I built mine from the article and company in that issue, which I still have although quite yellowed now. There were a lot of great projects published over the years for just about every area of interest in electronics.

Reply to
TheExperimenter

I didn't know the topic was a stun gun. I bowed out when I saw the picture of a woman with the device in her hand and the guy with the big knife in her face. The thought of her having to make contact, or near contact to be effective, in order to fend off a big knife, was what did it for me. She's going to get hurt, and probably badly. If having a stun gun at hand helps make a person bold enough to engage in a close-quarters knife fight, that's not good. I'm out.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win