Time to abandon large mechanical hard drives?

Time to abandon large mechanical hard drives?

I did 4TB upgrade to 6TB and the whole process of backing up and fixing partitions took best part of half a day with Linux.

Never heard of such things.

But I remember back in May I did a 3TB to 4TB upgrade and it took best part of half a day with Linux as well.

So these numbers seem to be real.

(With windoops, you may as well reserve one or two weeks to do same feat ;) )

That was all done with dd and gparted. The dd alone took 30,000 seconds with 150MB/sec transfer rate.

These numbers are going back to the bad old days of windopws when whole working days can be lost from a minor disk mishap.

With these sorts of bottleneck delays hitting Linux, there is potential to loose 2 working days with a disk mishap. Thats several thousand dollars per incident minimum.

Time now me thinks to ditch mechanical hard drives and go full on with SSDs for big storage.

The only thing standing in the way is high price SSD storage. Also the effort to make larger commercial SSDs a little weak.

Samsung and Sandisk aiming for 3 and 4 TB disks soon but what the market needs is 6 and 8 TB disks as commodity item.

China has ramped its production from commodity quantity 16GB SSDs to 64GB for same price in under 1 year. If they keep the momentum, the 256GB SSD would become available for similar price next year. That would then be the signal to produce 6 to 8 TB drives at affordable prices.

Their speeds also has to improve with faster sustained throughput using more parallel channel based interfaces custom built by some Linux fans familiar with FPGAs and Linux drivers. The controllers also need improving. May be they need to become big ARM chips running full blow Linux to manage these TB flash memory chips? :)

Reply to
7

Learn to use raid - either mdraid or btrfs with raid. Upgrading or replacing disks then needs only a little effort as you swap drives (perhaps powering off if you don't have hot swapping) - all the copying is done in the background, while the system is still working.

Reply to
David Brown

Do you mean learn to ditch raid?

Thats the only thing I have learned so far about raid.

Cheaper to back up everything on to a 3TB disk and file it every month than any other option.

In all these years, I don't know of one situation where raid saved the day. All that the numerous installs of raid I have ever seen is make an already bad situation 1000% worse.

Reply to
7

The only Raid you are likely to encounter is the can of Raid at the local fast food joint where you man the deep fry machine, 7 = Joseph Michael.

I'm certain you are familiar with this Raid:

flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
Reply to
flatfish+++

Internet trolls like you have no clear comprehension of technology.

Still, you can read the original post again and weep if you must:

Do you mean learn to ditch raid?

Thats the only thing I have learned so far about raid.

Cheaper to back up everything on to a 3TB disk and file it every month than any other option.

In all these years, I don't know of one situation where raid saved the day. All that the numerous installs of raid I have ever seen is make an already bad situation 1000% worse.

Reply to
7

Copying large amounts of data will take a long time.

Linux has nothing to do with that.

The same is still true of some more crude JBOD setup. What he is whining about has squat to do with Linux and is simply a limitation of the technology and the bulk of data he's dealing with.

--
	Banning the ammo box is just a manifestation                    |||
	of the desire to ban the ballot box.                           / | \

Yup 100%. I think corporations should start banning large mechanical drives and ordering up higher speed SSDs as the default option because we are moving into an era where a big disk crash is going to take out two days of someone's time even if Linux backs you all the way.

So a building with 1000 employess gets a power surge, and you are looking at 40 PCs down may be and while you might get 20 out the door quickly, The remaining will take 40 man days to sort out.

I remember them bad days - so we had buffer stock of

30 PCs.

I upgraded a 256GB SSD mail server in 2 hours. If the future is 2 days for mechanical drives, I'd rather management invested in more SSDs,

Reply to
7

WRONG!

The limiting factor is the transfer rate of the drive(s) and the spindle speed (Along with the amount of data) not the OS.

Reply to
Desk Rabbit

Wow, I didn't bother to read his propaganda but was he really suggesting that hard disks run faster within GNU/Linux?

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Doesn't everything run faster with Linux? lol!

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
Reply to
flatfish+++

To be honest, my SSDs run a lot faster within Windows 8 than they did in Ubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME. It shouldn't be the case as SSDs don't require any kind of special software to do their thing but reading and writing was significantly slower in the open-source operating system than in Windows. It's truly sad. Add to that the fact that the GPU ran terribly and that the sound card had random pops and cracks and you really have to call a spade a spade and say that GNU/Linux is shit.

Still, I'd love to see how 7 _PROVES_ that whatever he says is a fact. I have yet to see any kind of evidence in any of his posts. It's just random garbage.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Of course. The "advocate" claims that it takes a 1/2 day to copy 4TB with Linux but it would take "weeks" to do on Windows.

They sure grow them dumb. No wonder "7" makes less than a McDonalds manager.

--
"I use Linux and open source tools for my every day job. Around $1100 per
week."

7-tard. Drooling over the burger-flipping salary he makes with Linux.
Sun, 22 Apr 2012
Ezekiel

Random garbage is also a good description of GNU/Linux/FOSS in general.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
Reply to
flatfish+++

And notice that not a single Linux "advocate" confronts the idiocy that moron 7 spews. They let his babbling stand unchallenged because they deem it positive to Linux advocacy. The fact that most of it is completely fabricated lies doesn't seem to matter.

Advocate Linux, even if you have to lie about it. That's how these bottom feeders operate.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
Reply to
flatfish+++

Joseph Michael is banned from McDonald's because rather than come in and buy "food," he only comes in every so often to spread propaganda about something called Linux that nobody has ever heard of.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Absolutely. You can give the system and its software a chance a dozen times or so but you'll just come back with an overwhelming feeling of disappointment a dozen times as well.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

That's exactly what happens. Each time I try Linux, a different distribution, a new release and so forth I approach it from the perspective that maybe things have improved since the last time I tried Linux.

And each time I walk away frustrated and disappointed.

It's not that portions of Linux haven't improved over the years but more so that Windows and OSX have not exactly been sitting idle but have improved as well.

The truth is that desktop Linux is a poor choice for most people. Even chrisv knows that because he and his family are Windows users.

--
flatfish+++

Linux: The Operating System That Put The City Of Munich Out Of
Business.
Before Switching To Linux Read This:
http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
Reply to
flatfish+++

*Most* of these "advocates" can't even convince their own family to use desktop Linux. If they can't get their own family to use it then why would the Average Joe use it?

All the FOSS apps people are likely to want also run on Windows/Mac. This gives them the best of both worlds... the proprietary apps they already know and like plus the FOSS apps they may be interested in. With Win/Mac they can run both and with Linux they can't.

--
"Maybe he (Hans Reiser) knows where the body is because he saw where it was
put."

Linux "advocate" Rick defending a convicted murderer.
Reply to
Ezekiel

I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of chrisv's mouth either way. If he says that he has a family, I don't immediately believe him. If he says that he has a job, I don't believe him there either. He has become way too comfortable in calling others liars without ever producing any kind of evidence to counter the idea that _HE_ is one.

--
Silver Slimer
OpenMedia Supporter

Average Joe won't. Just like the advocates family members balk at Linux.

The best FOSS applications do indeed run on other platforms. Gimp, OpenOffice etc.