Design Error Time is Up

Hi to all the rocket scientists here:

-------------------------------------

I believe my point is now VERY well proven - it is nigh impossible to identify design errors by just looking at the schem.

What instead happens IS folk see GHOSTS - perfectly good designs are condemned as being flawed in some nonsense way.

Mostly for the simple reason that the arm chair experts have *never seen* one working - necessary to discover how wrong they are.

And even that experience would not convince all here of their dumbest ERRORS !!

Finally:

The Yamaha P2200 has a badly designed VI limiter - it does a fair job of protecting the output BJTs but prevents the amp from driving even average speaker systems with a 4 ohm nominal impedance to rated power.

A two minute, back of an envelope calculation reveals that fact - IF you know how to do it and what the result needs to be.

This article, by me published 20 years ago, tells the whole, gory story and describes easy to do tests that characterise the issue and give a pass / fail rating without risk to the amplifier concerned.

Fig 4 shows how the P2200 reacts to a 5.6 ohm inductive load with 45 degree phase angle. It is not the worst example of this - the huge, heavy Bose 1800 is twice as bad reacting to a 12 ohm load in the same way.

IMO, only Bill Sloman got even close.

Lastly:

Me post something I designed HERE for the Three Stooges and assorted Rocket Scientists to pour scorn on ?

No bloody way !!

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You seem to be saying that you wouldn't want to belong to any club that would accept you as a member.

Reply to
bitrex

----------------------

** Shifts contest, posts stupid insulting shit.

** Absurd remark - that is the fool's club you are in, pal.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

If all your "fans" are fools doesn't that kinda make you president of the fool fan club?

Reply to
bitrex

--------------------------

** What fans ?

AFAIK I have none here.

My one, recent use of the word was ironic.

Piss off, d*****ad.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

As you wish mr president

Reply to
bitrex

Oh forgot to ask do you accept money for spotting design errors in PSUs, etc? Seems like a skill you could get some money with

Reply to
bitrex

Not strictly true. Win Hill and I admire your technical expertise.

Bitrex is forty and has yet to run into "not invented here"?

Fault-finding is a very useful skill when you can sell it as "trouble-shooting".

When it shows up inside an organisation, the people who do it tend to get seen as "excessively critical" and as "subverting the chain of authority".

If they go public they are "whistle-blowers".

Getting paid for it usually involves them getting "what they deserve for trying to make me look like an idiot". This isn't money, though it can involve paying money to enforcers - not always lawyers.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Bill Sloman Pontificated :

---------------------------

** Grudgingly, so ain't no fan.

Win is

** It only frightens the incompetent and the charlatans.

** And a lot sore than a that too.

You can hardly do worse than threaten someone's income or career, no matter how dishonesty they are making money and how much you are being damaged as a result.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

-----------------------

** Some words dropped off my last post:

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'm kinda all about the Benjamins and not so much the ego at this point in life, feel free to call me a donkey's dickhole all day if you're making me some extra smackeroonies I've heard worse lol

Us Gen X-ers our retirement funds not looking too good you know? Millenials run tech and the Baby Boomers still run everything else.

Reply to
bitrex

---------------------------

** Complete bullshit.

The pathetic charlatan hiding behind "bitrex" is a conscience free, ASD f***ed jerk.

He exists only to serve his bloated ego and defile his many betters.

A really nasty little shit.

No wonder he hides his real identity.

Wot a coward.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Is this a job application?

Reply to
bitrex

I don't ever recall being grudging about it. Your capacity to be unkind isn't admirable, but I'm envious of it's effectiveness.

It has been known to frighten the more or less adequate but uninspired.

The best is the enemy of the good.

The joke is that if they listened for long enough to learn how to earn money more honestly and do less damage in the process, they'd almost certainly make more money.

Good products are easier to sell. The best products may not look enough like the competition to be easy to sell, but getting the bugs out of a barely adequate product has almost no downside (unless previous customers expect cost-free up-grades).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Nobody's frightened by ragin' senior citizens. SETTLE DOWN GRANPA

Reply to
bitrex

Speaking as a senior citizen, I have to agree.

They tend to have seen enough to be well aware that getting enraged isn't worth the effort.

It is unfortunate that complacent youngsters ignore good advice - even when it comes from people of their own age.

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Well, yes, because you had a speaker as a load, any DC-output-distortion was going to be a problem.

For a rocket scientist, though, the load might NEED some DC to operate well; it's not a 'bad amplifier' so much as a 'mediocre fit to the driven load' .

It's common in audio to design some output impedance in an amplifier, and rocket scientists do NOT understand why anyone would do that... because they don't expect to hunt for dead fuses with an audience waiting...

Reply to
whit3rd

-------------------------

Phil Allis> > Hi to all the rocket scientists here:

** Huh ?? What speaker??

** You one illegal drugs ??

it's

** Like an undersized hat on one's head ?

** No it isn't.

and rocket

** I have read this load of poop 5 times.

Not a single word makes any sense.

WTF is this raving lunatic even talking about?

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Only the strong possess the fortitude to post their own designs to this group. Designs that include both a schematic diagram and documentation that explains how the circuit works.

"Cruelty was easy and it was for the conforming weak. Kindness was hard, and it was the preserve of true strength." -Matthew De Abaitua

Thank you, 73,

--
Don Kuenz KB7RPU
There was a young lady named Bright Whose speed was far faster than light;

** Crikey - a gentleman and a scholar !!

On this horrible NG ??

As Basil Fawlty famously said of his lone, satisfied customer:

" We should have him stuffed".

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison