Handmade triode- C'est tres magnifique!

From another newsgroup:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

-- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" snipped-for-privacy@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:

Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers:

Spehro Pefhany

Wow!

I have visions of craftmen in lonely farmhouses all across France in the early years of the last century working late into the night sitting at the kitchen table turning out triodes as part of a cottage industry.

Of courses these days they're sitting at the kitchen table working late into the night making FETS. :>

Q.- Why did he keep popping the glass parts into the litle furnace? Some sort of tempering process?

H.

p.s.- I'm in lust with spot welder !

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

On a sunny day (Sat, 05 Jan 2008 10:39:56 -0500) it happened Spehro Pefhany wrote in :

Facinating. Imagine how many you need for a PIC.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 05 Jan 2008 16:19:13 GMT) it happened Howard Eisenhauer wrote in :

Na, toobes make much more money for the audiophiles.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That was fascinating, Spehro. Thanks for sharing it.

However, when is this guy going to learn how to build a field-effect transistor?

Bob

Reply to
BobW

er

I don't know about that. When Cambridge Instruments sold one of their electron beam microfabricators to Thompson-CSF in the 1980's for a million dollars or so, the acceptance test involved making a wafer's worth of high-frequency FETs (on a rather small wafer - the specimen chamber of that microfabricator couldn''t accomodate anything over five inches -125mm - in diameter).

The market value of the FETs was rather higher than that of the electron beam microfabricator.

Admittedly, the FETs weren't sold to audiophiles, who aren't that interested in the frequencies involved.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

On a sunny day (Sat, 5 Jan 2008 09:11:17 -0800 (PST)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in :

Admittedly, the FETs weren't sold to audiophiles, who aren't that

Are you sure?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Fascinating process. Must be nice to have your very own tube fabrication operation. You can tell he got hold of a tube manufacturing outfits gear.

Of course Western Electric still exists, selling tubes.

Stunning. If he could make oxide cathodes that would be awesome. I wonder if he also does remote-cutoff-wound grids?

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Other fun stuff:

Rick

Good grief, there's a lot of hacking going on. That lawnmower propane conversion has me thinking of a low pressure NG conversion...

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Heh! That's exactly how I get my old beater of a mower to start for the first time each year! Usually roars to life on the second pull no matter how cold the weather.

--Damon

Reply to
Damon Hill