H bridge Drivers

Hi,

I am trying to compare the following H bridge drivers in terms of speed, pin outs compatibility. Both chips will be driving the NMOSFETS.

  1. HIP49081A
2.A4940

The data sheets are as follows

My questions are as follows

  1. I connected the HIP 4081 A to th e nmosfets and it worked fine but i am unable to understand the pins on the A4940 chip. I meant to say that i am unable to understand that how equivalence among the pins GHA,GLA,SA,SB and ALO,AHO,BLO,BHO.

  1. How can I test that which chip is faster? I am driving them with

100KHz pulse width modulation (15% duty cycle)? The power supply of the transistors is 12 volts.

Best,

John

Reply to
john1987

Look at the functional block diagram for the A4940, on page 3 of the data sheet?

Question: Which is bigger, a ten pound chicken or a ten pound snake?

Answer: that depends on how you define "big".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott
[snip]

That's no chicken, that's a turkey ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Spice is like a sports car... Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

d text -

Lets say that I wil get both chips to work. Now, what kind of test will let me know that which part is faster?

Thanks John

Reply to
john1987

I haven't had my caffeine yet. I suppose if you buy a five pounder at the supermarket and put the head, feet, feathers and guts back then you'll still not be up to 10 pounds.

(and it'll be a mess).

Or did you mean the snake?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

Guys, its not a home work. :) .

Reply to
john1987

It's not going to be a 1:1 comparison, mere switching speed isn't the only consideration in a switching supply, and how fast you can get them to work depends a lot on surrounding circuitry. Hence, my comment about the meaning of comparisons.

Each one will have some propagation delay internal to the chip. Each one will have a current source/sink capability that will interact with the drive transistors' gate charge. If either one has anti-shoot through circuitry (I didn't look) then that circuitry will add delay, possibly only under certain circumstances, that will affect your highest attainable speed, possibly in markedly different ways depending on which chip you use.

So what does 'fast' mean to _you_?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

d text -

For example if I drive an inductive load by each chip and than by looking at the output voltage waveform across that load. If this ight help than what parameters of the waveform should I be looking at? the slope of the waveform which one is slower or faster.

John

Reply to
john1987

I've never weighed a snake, but I'd guess that a ten pound snake is pretty BIG ;-)

I've killed 2-3 foot rattlers when I lived in the boonies of North Scottsdale. The Dachshunds would grab them behind the head, shake them like crazy, then toss them away... and the other Dachshund would then move in and repeat the trick. So I'd guess the snakes are pretty light weight.

Scared my wife silly. I'd rush in with a hoe and cut their heads off. ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

Or is half-fast good enough ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

I used to think that my capabilities were vast. Now I find that they're half-vast.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

text -

If you don't understand what you're looking for, you won't even know if you've found it.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

ut

bout

st

ch

ted text -

d text -

I am looking for which chip will work faster. Now, I do not know what parameter or test will give me the answer. That is why I put this post. If you do not want to answer it its okay but do not make any comment because if someone else want to give me some advice the he/she might not give me the advice because you are replying my post.

thanks John

Reply to
john1987

I hate it when that happens :)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

--
If you don't understand what you're looking for, and it passes by,
unbeknownst to you, how could you hate what you never saw?

As has been mentioned before, look at page 3 of the Allegro data sheet.

"Faster" is unspecific. Turning a pair of MOSFETs in an H-bridge on and off has to be looked at as three - hopefully non-overlapping - operations.

  1. Turn off the "on" MOSFET

  1. Wait until it is off - shoot-through prevention

  2. turn on the "off" MOSFET

Turning the MOSFETs on and off involves shifting charge in and out of the gate. The MOSFET data sheet will tell you how much charge, and the driver data sheet will tell you the current available to do the job - both have tolerances.

The anti-shoot-through pause has to cover the turn-off time, plus a margin for the tolerances.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

"Excuse me sir, has anyone tampered with your luggage without your knowledge?" "If they tampered without my knowledge, how would I know?" "That's why we ask."

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams