Guy Macon on using terms such as "Professional Engineer"

They have done nothing to deserve my respect and to make me care what they think. You have.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Two Ravens wrote:

That, and decades of experience working as an engineer and with engineers, mostly in California but also in several other US states, Canada, Mexico, China, and Japan.

The bottom line is this:

Roger Maynard (the resident alt.os.linux.slackware troll) has, in the last week:

[1] Accused me of breaking an imaginary California law prohibiting the use of the title "Engineer" by non-degreed engineers. [2] Edited my words in replies so as to make it look like I wrote that DOS is suitable for all kinds of multitasking, when my original siad the I think it suitable only for simple round- robin single loop multitasking. [3] Generated fake posts from employers that do not exist claiming that they fired me for starting fires and other crimes. [4] Started using my name in post titles with the stated goal of making it so employers searching Google for my name would find the posts, believe the lies, and not hire me. [5] When I responded to [5] by generating posts such as this one that use my name in the subject line to push the others down in the search results, he started acting as if my using my name in subject lines is the reason he is doing all of this.

...and this is just what I saw in replies to his posts or in Google searches. I don't read what he writes, so I may be unaware of other, ineffective attacks.

I suggest killfiling him a I have done, and I suggest that those who reply not do so under subject lines that are slander, or that they set "X-No-Archive: yes".

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

I am a bit overweight (not nearly as much as when we last met face to face -- I tend to oscillate between exerciseing/dieting and working 14-hour days and eating junk) and you are an asshole who keeps insulting me despite my every effort to be friendly.

I can lose weight and gain muscle mass. You will always be an asshole.

Go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Correction to your English: in this context, the word should be "ensuring", not "insuring". Completely different meanings...

With that said, who exactly *ensures* that a product complies with standards, if it's not done by the designer? Someone else has to come along behind the designer and check the design for compliance?

Dan C

Well then, keep it light and enjoy. It's just a game, it ain't life.

John

Is there ANY regular on this group who hasn't been flamed at least once?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Often, yes. There are "compliance engineers" and they have their own magazine.

John

See also the usenet group sci.engr.electrical.compliance, though it doesn't get a lot of traffic.

Reply to
SP

Our government at work again. With all the abuse big business (the guys with enough bucks to actually buy their influence) generates, you'd think our reps would be too busy keeping these guys in check to pay attention to the "there oughtta be a law" fools who come whining at their door.

FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

Of course. It's called "checking". ;-)

And, about "professional engineer", I'd call myself a de facto engineer, since I've been doing engineer work (and getting paid for it, which makes me a professional) for some years now.

You see, I graduated Summa Cum Laude from the School Of Hard Knocks. ;-) (line lifted from last night's late-night "Frasier" rerun.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I don't - I give my credit to Mom. (RIP). One of my earliest memories is of sitting on Mom's lap, with a book in my lap, and her reading out of it, following along the words with her finger.

So, in my experience, all the credit belongs to the Mother. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In alt.os.linux.slackware Rich Grise trolled:

So you are, in reality, a handyman, who duplicates the work of real engineers while lacking the understanding necessary to the design of the work in question.

A monkey-see-monkey-do type. There are a lot of you guys in the world of Computer Science.

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
Roger Manyard

Well, a whole lot of people believe that being intelligent gives them some sort of moral superiority... even if it doesn't make them rich or happy. Or better circuit designers.

John

I'm not sure that it's enough of a qualifier to say "to the extent Mr. _______ misrepresents himself / herself". You've made an assertion that may be actionable. I don't know this Macon fellow; however, your statement could be considered libelous, especially if Mr. Macon has sufficient works or qualifications to demonstrate he is an engineer.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli

What statement is actionable? To the extent that anybody misrepresents him or herself, such a person is a fraud. That's just a simple tautology.

Anybody can be hired and given the job title of "Engineer." But the law in California demands that you be a licensed Engineer before you can undertake certain tasks and responsibilities and since Mr. Macon is not licensed, these tasks and responsibilities are without his purview. cordially, as always,

rm

-- Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

Roger Manyard

It is libelous to call someone a fraud if it's not true. Not knowing Mr. Macon's qualifications, I wouldn't be so loose with the f-word.

Frank Raffaeli

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli

I appreciate the defense, but those who choose to respond are becoming part of the problem. Please don't feed the trolls. Responding only encourages them.

Reply to
Guy Macon

To the extent that you misrepresent yourself, you are a fraud as well. To the extent that anyone misrepresents himself or herself, that person is a fraud as well.

You have to learn to read.

cordially, as always,

rm

-- Guy Bacon's new resume can be found here:

Roger Manyard

I said *I* wouldn't make libelous remarks. Wasn't defending you. I assume you believe you have the qualifications to call yourself an engineer. I don't have the information to dispute it.

Frank

Reply to
SNIPrf_man_frTHIS

Nope. Misrepresentation by itself does not constitute fraud, but calling someone a fraud in print is libel - unless it's true.

Google "badges of fraud".

Frank

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli