Guy Macon on using terms such as "Professional Engineer"

Mr. Macon would face legal action in at least one jurisdiction

>(Quebec) and possibly other for calling himself an "engineer" >when he's not.

Your "when he is not" comment is an example of the petitio principii fallacy. otherwise known as "begging the question." When debating the issue of whether Guy Macon can properly call himself an Engineer without having a degree, you can't use as one of your premises the assumption that Guy Macon cannot properly call himself an Engineer without having a degree.

Please See: Fallacy Files: Begging the Question AKA Circular Argument AKA Circulus in Probando AKA Petitio Principii AKA Vicious Circle

Nixkor Project: Fallacy: Begging the Question

Wikipedia: Begging the question

Even if you assume that I do not meet the requirements to be called an Engineer in Quebec, I have never worked in Quebec. I reside and usually work in California, USA. In the state of California there is NO requirement that an Electrical Engineer have a degree or license. There are job titles that do require such a license, and they are listed in the Professional Engineers Act. They include "Professional Engineer", "Registered Engineer", "Licensed Engineer", "PE", "P.E." "Professional Electrical Engineer", "Registered Electrical Engineer", "Licensed Electrical Engineer" etc. The term that employers usually specify is "PE" or "P.E."

Job titles that, according to the Professional Engineers Act, require no license and have no educational requirements include "Electrical Engineer", "Electronics Engineer", "Electronic Engineer", etc. See Chapter 7 of Division 3 of the Business and Professions (B&P) Code, sections 6700-6799. and Sections 400-474.5 of Title 16, Chapter 5 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR) for details.

Wikipedia has a good overview with links to authoritative sources.

The paragraph about the IT Industry using terms such as Certified Novell Engineer and Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer in Quebec is especially interesting. Those titles are allowed in California.

If I did work in Quebec I would, of course, follow Quebec law. Unlike the rest of Canada, Quebec requires membership in the QIQ (Order des Ingenieurs du Quebec) for all who use the Title "Engineer."

Although most QIQ members are degreed, a degree is not required to be a member of QIQ. "Applications from candidates who do not hold a degree that is recognized by the Quebec government as one that gives access to OIQ permits are subject to review by the Committee of Examiners. The Committee can make the following recommendations to the Bureau of the OIQ: For candidates in category C [no degree that is recognized by the Quebec government] the Committee can recommend that the Bureau recognize their training as equivalent either immediately or after the candidates pass the examinations.

Once the QIQ membership is obtained, the title "junior engineer" may be used. To drop the "Junior", the requirement is to complete

36 months of engineering experience under the supervision of a QIQ member engineer, with at least 12 of these months performed in Canada (and good luck finding a job outside of Canada that is supervised by a QIQ member engineer!)

Th question of whether EEs in California *should* be required to have a degree or pass a test is another matter. Jack Ganssle wrote this on [ Embedded.com ]:

"In the embedded world, no law dictates our use of titles or our ability to practice our art. Some engineers, for example those building structures, need licensure (Professional Engineers). That's mostly outside of the electronics world, despite the fact that we're now building systems every bit as dangerous as a bridge or large building."

It's an interesting thought. I like the idea of a test. As for a degree, there are many fine degreed engineers, but there are a few who make you wonder who they bribed in order to graduate.

-- Gooogle foood: Guy Macon guymacon.com Guy Macon Guy Macon

Guy Macon Guy Macon
Guy Macon Guy Macon guymacon Guy Macon Guy Macon
Guy Macon

Warren Oates wrote:

[...]

Reply to
Guy Macon
[snip]

Damn! How did Guy Macon slip thru ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Bacon grease?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The real question is whether Guy Macon can call himself a "moderator."

John

Grise?

--
  Keith
Reply to

Don't be disingenuous; you're either intelligent enough to to understand what I mean or you're not. You don't get to set the rules. Fuck off.

--
W. Oates
Reply to

Why would you want to render an old hippie?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You certainly can in some places. It's called "reference to the law."

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
Roger Manyard

Lead.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Like graphite or beryllium?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

When I met him, he was much more graphitic than beryllic. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Heavy water?

John

Yawn- you REALLY must be idle to find the time to compose that bunch of sophomoric c.r.a.p.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

...and he bought you lunch... :)

...and take-out for use later as dinner... :) :)

he was much more graphitic than beryllic. ;-)

If I had to pick a substance to characterize you as, it would be 100% pure Sulfur hexafluoride. :) :) :)

Cheers!

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

I love you too! You are the greatest!!

I thought it was more freshmanic than sophomoric, and more w.o.m.b.a.t.[Note} than c.r.a.p., but you are the expert, so I bow to your overall superiority in all things.

(Note: W.O.M.B.A.T. = Waste Of Money, Brains, And Time.)

Reply to
Guy Macon, Engineer

(blush) Ah, shucks! Y'all didn't have to roll out the red carpet! :)

--
Guy "is that tar and feathers I smell?" Macon
Reply to

Why would anyone want to do that?

Why would anyone want to do that?

We corrected the subject line.

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
Roger Manyard

Nice to see Guy Macon showing a proper appreciation of Fred Bloggs, though I doubt that the Guy has the wit to fully appreciate Fred Bloggs' superiority.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Circle

Question

question

sources.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Engineer

Maconwww.guymacon.comGuy Macon Guy Macon guymacon

Circle

Question

question

sources.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Engineer

Maconwww.guymacon.comGuy Macon Guy Macon guymacon

Maybe you're right, i'm an Electronics Engineer (with a degree) but i think that tomorrow i'll start to call me something like "Spiderman" or "Superman" because there is a small state near Taiwan where there is no law that say that i must have some kind of super-power to be a super hero. Maybe I'll have more luck with girls.

Seriusly, aren't you embarassed? Ask Terminator if you can have an ad honorem degree.

cordially,

a real engineer

Reply to
lore