Guy Macon on using terms such as "Professional Engineer"

Just to top things off, there is a Licenced Engineer in the office i work in who does not have a BS degree. Happens to be in California as well, so that the legal rules are the same.

--
 JosephKK
  --Schiller

You should bathe more often.

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sigh, Guy. You can't waste what you don't have.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hey! I have lots of time and money!

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote:

But of course! Bill Sloman is another under-appreciated individual. I am thinking of starting a fan club. For Michael Terrell, a religious cult would seem to be the only appropriate way to regognize his sureriority. You folks are great! ***GROUP HUG***

Reply to
Guy Macon

joseph2k wrote:

Exactly so. In the state of California there is no requirement that an engineer has a degree or license. A California engineer can have a license without a degree, a degree without a license, neither, or both.

The application for starting down the road to becoming a licensed professional engineer in California says that the applicant must "Complete three years or more of college in a Board approved engineering curriculum *or* three years or more of engineering- related experience" then "Take and pass the eight-hour National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) examination." After that it's all experience and exams, with no required formal education.

What you call yourself depends on your degree or license. It would be fraud to call oneself "Professional Engineer", "Registered Engineer", "Licensed Engineer", "PE", or "P.E." "EIT", etc. without the proper licence. It would be fraud to call oneself "BSEE", "PHD", "Degreed", Dr.", etc. without the proper degree.

The applicable California law is:

Professional Engineers Act Business And Professions Code §§ 6700 ? 6799 Effective January 1, 2007 Chapter 7. Professional Engineers

§ 6704 Defines who may use engineer titles:

"Only persons licensed under this chapter shall be entitled to take and use the titles 'consulting engineer,' 'professional engineer,' or 'registered engineer,' or any combination of those titles or abbreviations thereof."

--
G00G1E F00D: Guy Macon guymacon.com Guy Macon
Guy Macon www.guymacon.com Guy Macon  Guy Macon

Wikipedia has a good overview with links to authoritative sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Engineer
Reply to
Guy Macon

Interesting, the mutual admiration society between Sloman and Bloggs, two people who do not design electronics, in sci.electronics.design!

Umm, I don't spell very well either.

Aw, shucks.

John

John Larkin wrote: [...snip...]

Don't you have an *ugly* ESR meter to design???

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Fred took it, while everyone else was busy designing their ESR meters.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

When you do get it back, you need to reset your computer's clock. :) Its 6:20 PM and your post says 7:06 PM.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You post a sketch to abse, and then I'll post mine. It needn't be perfect, just a starting point. You can add the blowout protections later.

John

Hey, where's my watch?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Oddly enough, I do design electronics. Nobody seems to be paying me for it at the moment, so none of it gets built, which makes it kind of pointless to boast about it.

He may just have been indulging in irony there, but then again I might be over-estimating him.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

In alt.os.linux.slackware Guy Macon trolled:

And you don't have a license or a degree or anything else to qualify you as an Engineer except your "I say so." Certainly your work history, a list of places where you had a cup of coffee before they caught on to you, isn't going to help you.

You're a fraud. You're a phoney. If you can get a license without a degree, then get one. As it stands now, you are an unlicensed, uneducated, fraud. You are uninsurable as an "Engineer" and anyone who signed you on as such could easily be convicted of criminal negligence when some Rube Goldberg contraption you banged together collapsed and cost people their lives.

The fact is, you couldn't pass the exams and that is why you never wrote them. And that is why you are not, in any sense of the word, an "Engineer" and you are an insult to all those who are.

cordially, as always,

rm

Reply to
Roger Manyard

It's hardly fair to fault them just because their lights dim next to the pinnacle of superiority that is John Larkin! You are so utterly excellent that you have traveled far beyond excellence as we know it and into a new dimension of excellence. Meta-excellent. Excellent cubed. Trans-excellence excellent. Pure merit collapsed into to a singularity where even the meritons have collapsed into meritonium. It cannot be possible that anyone on Usenet can really be this smart. You must be a primordial fragment from the original big bang of wisdom and grace. A pure extract of intelligence with absolute intellectual purity.

Who can possibly compare to that?

I am just glad that yuo allow us mere mortals to interact with your wonderfulness instead of vaporizing us with your mental powers as you view our poor attemps at Usenet posts. Thanks!

You guys are the greatest!!

***GROUP HUG***
Reply to
Guy Macon

Irony? Perish the thought! It's just that I had an epiphany. My eyes were opened, and I saw the light. I realized what an honor it is to have my poor attempts at Usenet posts share the same disk as my intellectual superiors such as the great Bill Sloman. To think that I could have been born a hundred years earlier and missed this moment in history, or that I could have been born a hundred years later and would only be able to read the holy scrolls in the Bill Sloman museum! I must apologize. I can't go on. After this experience, life itself seems like an empty shell. Thank you for gracing my humble self with your bevevolant and all-wise comments.

I love this place!

*** GROUP HUG ***
Reply to
Guy Macon

You seem to that think excellence is a scalar quantity. It's actually a vector.

Is all your writing this tedious?

John

I *have* run into folks (not here, of course) who's excellence appears to have a significant imaginary component...

Thank you sir! May I have another, sir?

Reply to
Guy Macon

If you are talking about an engineer, how the hell could he have both "a license without a degree" and a "degree without a license" at the same time?

Obviously something you'd have to be an engineer to understand, or it some sort of laid back, California thing?

With kind regards

Chu

Reply to
ChuMaiFat

To excel is to beat the competition. This is a scalar metric. There are lots of different ways of beating the competition, so the underlying competencies can be seen as a vector. Commercial success inevitably seems to require some measure of self-promotion, which makes this a core component of the basket of competencies.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Definitely irony. He could have made the point with fewer words.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman