Re: A few Questions about Obtaining Design Help.

Eric Tappert wrote:

> >>Avoid anybody who doesn't have the required licenses to do >>the work. You are asking for engineering work and, at least >>in the USA, that requires a state issued professional >engineering license. [Citation needed] > >Evidence, please. >Jack Ganssle wrote this at Embedded.com: > > "In the embedded world, no law dictates our use of titles or > our ability to practice our art. Some engineers, for example > those building structures, need licensure (Professional > Engineers). That's mostly outside of the electronics world, > despite the fact that we're now building systems every bit > as dangerous as a bridge or large building." >

In the USA, as in most of the world, there is NO requirement that all engineers have a degree or license. There are job titles that do require such a license, and they are listed in the Professional Engineers Act. They include:

"Professional Engineer", "Registered Engineer", "Licensed Engineer", "PE", "P.E." "Professional Electrical Engineer", "Registered Electrical Engineer", "Licensed Electrical Engineer",

etc.

Job titles that, according to the Professional Engineers Act, require no license and have no educational requirements include"

"Electrical Engineer", "Electronics Engineer", "Electronic Engineer", "Engineering Consultant"

etc.

See Chapter 7 of Division 3 of the Business and Professions (B&P) Code, sections 6700-6799.

For California, see Sections 400-474.5 of Title 16, Chapter 5 of the California Code of Regulations (CCR). Many US states use identical language in their laws.

Wikipedia has a good overview with links to authoritative sources: [

].

Also see [

] and [
].

(As always with Wikipedia articles, it is the references that make something authoritative or not authoritative.)

--
Guy Macon  Guy Macon
Guy Macon  Guy Macon

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:41:17 +0000, Guy Macon wrote: ...

How about "Engineering Director"? ;-)

Of course, being a contractor, I can call myself anything I want to (except the "Forbidden" ones. ;-) ) So I put "Contract Inventor" on my invoices. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

As long as the title doesn't say "Professional", "Registered" or "Licensed", you are gold. We non-PEs don't want to step on the toes of the PEs -- that's a significant acomplishment.

As well you should. Inventing things is what you do.

--
Guy Macon
Reply to

Hey, Guy! Thanks for this! (of course you know I'm a bit unpopular with some folks here because of my radical Libertarianism.) :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

No, you're a child with zero self control. ...all demands and no responsibility.

Reply to
krw

I'm a mirror. >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

Lacking depth, and see the world completely backwards from what it really is. I can go with that.

--
Keith
Reply to

No, what "I'm a mirror" means is that when you look at me, you're seeing a reflection of yourself.

Idiot.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

I prefer not to look at idiot kids.

Indeed you are.

--
Keith
Reply to

If you had seen the dundering asses with P.E. behind their name that i have you would not say that.

Just the same spent over a decade doing electrical engineering without degree nor licence and had a lot of fun and did challenging work. Nearly finished my degree but the company's continuing hard times and i went out the door, finished my degree and got a new job, used my previous experience and got my P.E. within one year in CA. The work is not challenging nor all that fun. Degrees and such open doors, doing the work opens others.

Reply to
JosephKK