Guillemin's Synthesis of Passive Networks

From what I can tell, Guillemin's "Synthesis of Passive Networks Theory and Methods Appropriate to the Realization and Approximation Problem" seems to have gone through a number of different prints since it came out in 1957 (?). Does anyone know if these are all the same book? Or were there actually multiple editions, with newer versions (the last printer seems to have been in 1977) adding and/or correcting material?

Thanks,

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I don't know. Ernie's approaches were quite weird. I was fortunate enough to have Harry B. Lee, taught from his handed-out notes, which is why I can do loop and nodal analysis blindfolded ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim Thompson typed in news:// snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

Did he write a book too?

BTW, what do you think of Middlebrook? The latest Bob Pease article "Error Budget Stuff" (it's actually about electronics!!!) puts him down a peg.

--
Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Looks like he didn't. Surfing, it appears that he went on to co-found several businesses... he was a grad student when I had him as an instructor. He taught the VI-B (honors) group of students.

Middlebrook is great. Some years back he spoke here at a joint MIT Alumni Club - CalTech Alumni Club meeting. His work is what my PSpice LoopGain solver is based on.

I think Pease has gone senile ;-)

(Has he written anything intelligible about electronics recently?)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim Thompson typed in news:// snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

See this article. The previous ones are about car tires, Tibet, and helical railroads.

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Middlebrook wrote of the days when component count often didn't even exceed 100; but he's still correct... today I can do his partial derivatives in a simulator... it's called "Sensitivity Analysis".

HOWEVER, good circuit design does inherently try to minimize component sensitivities, AND create "orthogonal" situations.

Sensitivity analysis is useful for spotting critical components that you didn't think were ;-)

And Pease, IMNSHO, is still going senile ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim Thompson typed in news:// snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com,

So it's about using derivatives of component values?

What do you think of Pease's circuit though? I was surprised to see how adding a transistor reduced the resistor sensitivities so much. I'd like to see more about that trick, if it's valid.

Well, it can happen to anybody eventually. ;-)

Bill Cosby, quoting his grandfather: "People worry about going senile. Don't. When you go senile, you won't know it."

--
Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Relative to power supply voltage and temperature in a typical I/C case.

It's not a "trick", it's good circuit design. But it's also NOT the same circuit with reduced sensitivities... it's just a better way to accomplish the desired function. It would be even better with a FET so that there's no base current loss ;-)

True enough. But when you see it happening to your elders consider this... one of my grandfathers was exhibiting symptoms of senility. When we had him checked out it turned out he needed a pacemaker... he was oxygen starved due to a slowed heart rate. He returned to full mental normalcy until, many years later, he died suddenly from a stroke.