Resistor Networks

Quick question... For resistor networks, what is the difference between "bussed" and "common"?

Cheers, Rich

Reply to
RichH

Hi Rich,

All I have come across so far is the 'bussed' type that connects one side of each resistor to a 'common' bus. Usually used for pull-up or pull-down.

Then there are the Thevenin versions that have two resistors for each terminal plus two common rails, one for VCC and one for GND. I guess you could call these 'bussed' as well.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Then there are the "individual resistor" versions, typically used to provide some series resistance in a bus. These could also be considered to be "bussed"!

Confusing terminology, or what?

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Hi Steve,

It can be confusing since not all manufacturers are using the same terminology. Individual resistor arrays are usually not called bussed though. Besides series resistance they offer another great advantage: While the absolute tolerance may be a percent or more the differential tolerance between resistors on the same array is often much lower, fractions of a percent. That is a boon to the analog or mixed signal designer as well as in some uC applications. It allows precise divison of reference voltages, signals etc. Sometimes these arrays can also be handy in slope conversion schemes.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Joerg,

That was my confusion. They looked the same... Some of the products at Jameco say "bussed" and some say "common", but they look identical.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers, Rich

Reply to
RichH

I would think nothing - but you should look at the manufacturers' wiring diagrams to be sure.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

I did... they looked the same. Just wasn't sure of the terminology.

Cheers, Rich

Reply to
RichH