Synthesis of functions in Quartus

Hello all,

I have a bunch of functions I would like to synthesize on Quartus. These are going to be part of a library. I would like to get resource utilization of each function. The functions are generic. My questions are

1) Do I have to write an entity for the synthesis of each function or Can I just pasts individual functions in a .vhdl file to get the resource estimation of each function 2) Since the functions are generic, would we get resource estimation for worst case resources used? eg : if i have a generic function for an adder, would it estimate resource utilization for a 1 bit adder or maximum possible adder.

Thanks a bunch

Reply to
FPGA

In VHDL, you need an entity+architecture with the inputs and outputs o the function(s) connected to top-level inputs and architectures, otherwis the synthesizer/mapper/etc. functions will discard your logic.

If you want to run several functions through in parallel, they can shar inputs, but this might not give you enough information on each individua function.

Reply to
RCIngham

That would be a bunch of design entities. Functions return values only and are collected in a package.

All of the generics must have a default value for synthesis.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

I appreciate your help. Thank you