great piece about status

This is very much an electronic design issue. Group dynamics can create but more often crushes ideas, especially in large multi-level organizations. An Engineer_2 can't push an idea up through levels 3 and 4 to management.

Reply to
jlarkin

Status is also politics, which is the heart of any human interactions, including electronics.

The author is a UK Conservative, writes well and has provided much to think about for this Liberal (slightly to the left of Canadian Liberals) induhvidual...

Heck, I'm even thinking of buying the author's book - Gah!

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

A cool book is Drunk by Slingerland. It's relevant to creative thinking, social pressures, and beer.

For the last 15+ years I have been working at a very small company. I am the only EE. We have one ME. Director of R&D is a physicist. I am happier at work than I've ever been and the three of us get more done than the largest of teams I've ever worked with. We are encouraged to explore and experiment. It is amazing the unplanned things that come from that.

Reply to
DemonicTubes

I can't even imagine working in a place where there were that many gatekeepers.

I suppose that people who don't have many creative ideas hold on to the ones they have extra hard. (I'm like that with cooking.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It can be funny/sad to watch in action. Managers trust the suck-ups, and the people with ideas leave.

Borlotti beans AGAIN?!

I could've probably got more dates with American women when I was single if I were unemployed. There'd have been more time to talk to women and set up dates that way.

Bla bla bla "alpha male", a bla bla. The traditional money and status-obsessed corporate "alpha male" is a dinosaur of the past, if he ever really did that great for himself on average in the first place. He's been largely replaced by a wide range of new types of egomaniac, like lumbersexuals, hipster butcher shop-owners, underground EDM DJs, and white supremacist synthpop producers who have all Depeche Mode's albums.

Reply to
bitrex

Money can't buy "cool", and the trouble with many corporate professions and the people who practice them is that despite whatever status the practitioner may themselves feel it provides, they're still deeply, un-rectifiably uncool. sort of like the intrinsic nature of being right-wing in general.

Reply to
bitrex

See e.g. Elon Musk. I mean he tries. he tries to be "with it", lol

Reply to
bitrex

John Robertson wrote: ======================

** Nah - don't think so.

Politic is a *game* where folk try to win by using deception. No law against it exists. However, in real life doing the same thing is called *fraud* which is a serious crime.

** Hang on - so YOU are to the *left* of Justin Trudeau ??

So far out into the raving lunatic fringe there is no coming back ? Thanks for the warning.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"People do terrible things more out of love than out of hate."

"Most of humanity’s problems have to some extent been solved or alleviated by technology and progress; we have never been richer, healthier or more at peace."

WAR IS PEACE FREEDOM IS SLAVERY IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

I can tell the author of the article has a bright future ahead in the marketing department.

Reply to
bitrex

Usually the motivation is power.

Or, probably, more frightened and neurotic.

Life expectancy down two years running in the UK and was stalling even before then. and a Tory says "we have never been healthier" but it's a strange usage of the words "we" and "never" IMO

Reply to
bitrex

Dead people don't have to worry about their wealth or health, this is true though

Reply to
bitrex

Nah, the special marinara sauce I invented when I was 14. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Some people. There are honest politicians.

Or nothing with teeth. Dishonest politicians are addicted to lying to the electorate, and they aren't going to pass legislation that might make this difficult.

Phil is comfortable in the raving lunatic right-wing fringe, and thinks that everybody else ought to be.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

** ROTFL !!!

Bill has no answer - just abuses the messenger.

** Bill has no answer - just abuses the messenger.

" They're coming to take me away - ha ha ...... "

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Unless it happens to be a good idea, and the higher level engineers are sharp enough to notice.

Love of power does come into it a lot.

John Larkin claims not to feel fear. This probably ought to be seen as a a defect in his psychology, but - like Aesop's fox that lost it's tail - he prefers to see it an an advantage. He confuses sensible attention to potential problems with pathological anxiety, and sees it as neurotic.

He's particularly hard on people who have enough sense to understand that anthropogenic global warming is real, and don't happened to addicted to flattery to the point where they are susceptible to climate change denial propaganda.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Phil does like to claim this - then snips most of what I posted. I've put it back - it doesn't look like abuse to me.

And Phil snipped the "abuse" - probably because it is obviously accurate.

Seems unlikely. Phil could clearly do with some anti-psychotic medication, but he's not actively dangerous. Posting mendacious nonsense is what right-wing politicians do, and they won't risk their freedom to do that by letting anybody else get treated for the same problem.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

** As *you* regularly SNIP the things I call you in headings.

Cos they are it is obviously SOOOO accurate !!!

" They're coming to take Bill away, ha- ha, he-he... "

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison