Coming Soon th the USA...

Big brother at its finest :-(

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Think things are bad now? Wait until Obama "takes care" of you.

The restriction on tinted windows in the UK is so surveilance and speed camaras can get a clear picture of the driver.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

I know. We have the same issue in AZ (*)

I'm open to suggestions as to how to make photo of driver or plate impossible, yet pass a visual check.

(*) The usual way it's avoided in AZ is you wear a Halloween mask of our former governor (now gone to Homeland Security :-) Only problem is that she's uglier than Janet Reno, so you scare other drivers.

...Jim Thompson

                  The truth is incontrovertible
                     Democrats may attack it
                 Ignorant Liberals may deride it
                   But in the end, there it is

                  - Winston Churchill (edited)

Technically if he didn't have a valid licence then he can't be insured - which would entitle the police to seize the vehicle, it would be kept at an impound lot for up to 14 days and only be collected by someone with the full set of driving documents or on a trailer, there's also nearly £200 impound fee + £12/day storage. Otherwise the car would be crushed, sold at auction or converted for use as a bait car.

The same applies for no tax disc or MOT test certificate.

Reply to
ian field

Nice. Just like our RICO statutes.

...Jim Thompson

As well as ANPR equipped police patrols (tax, MOT & insurance are all on the police national computer now) We have DVLA vans scouring all the side streets clamping any untaxed vehicles they find.

Reply to
ian field

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Question 1;how does UK "test" windows to show they are "too dark"?

2;why wouldn't his Argentine driver's license suffice? 3;is there a "partial" UK DL? 4;did he only have a learner's permit?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

do they shoot from the side? nobody tints the windshield.

different reason; police want to be able to see the occupants during a traffic stop. For the officer's safety.

perhaps tilt plate down enough so the high mounted cameras can't get a decent angle on it,but people at ground level can. Or use the James Bond Rotating Plate(TM) mount. 8-) If they can't ID the car,then they can't send you a ticket.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The spec is 70%/75% transmission, so it wouldn't be hard to have a an inexpensive handheld gadget in the cop cars. The companies that do the mods should obey the law in this regard, and use film that is sufficiently transmissive.

Most places worldwide require you to get a local licence/license if you are resident, within a certain time limit. You can't just be a permanent tourist (I think in the UK any *EU* license can be used indefinitely for most purposes excepting old farts). A non-EU license can only be used for 12 months according to:

But eventually you have to take tests and stuff, just like a real citizen.

Dunno, the wording doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe he had a UK temporary licence and it expired.

Maybe something like that- the Brits have something they call a "provisional".

It's illegal in Ontario AFAIK for people to have heavily tinted front windows and/or to wear a disguise, but from what I see when it's time to pick up kids at the local Islamic school, ladies in full chador (eyes only visible) are okay to drive.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The tinting thing alone only earned him a citation. But without a valid license (the article doesn't elaborate on the exact problem) he couldn't be allowed to drive on.

They offered to allow him to arrange removal of the vehicle, which he could not. Perhaps this would only have involved him calling a friend to drive it away. Failing that, the police had it removed.

I don't know what the traffic act cited states, but this only appears to be a case of having a vehicle removed from the right of way for safety reasons. Not confiscated or anything.

I say this is great! I wish our state would make unlicensed drivers get out and walk. And have the beaters towed straight to the crusher. Anyone driving a $200K Bentley can undoubtedly cover the impound fees. Or the vice squad gets a nice undercover vehicle for their fleet.

Power corrupts.  And atomic power corrupts atomically.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hovnanian.com:

Wouldn't an Argentina license be OK? If he's not a UK citizen,then he'd be a visitor,and not need a UK license as llong as he had a license from his country.Isn't that the way the European Union is supposed to work? Canucks can drive in the US with a Canadian DL. There -are- penalties for not having your license WITH you if stopped.

yeah,a BENTLEY would really be "undercover"....

a bit conspicuous and attention-attracting,don'tcha think?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Any footballer deserves it.

"When asked to provide his documentation, it was discovered the driver did not have a full UK driving licence and was advised to arrange removal of the car.

"As he could not arrange this, the car was removed under Section 165 of Road Traffic Act 1988."

I should damn well hope so !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Only under some conditions. If he is resident there he's supposed to get a proper licence, since he's not an EU citizen.

Umm... Argentina is in South America, not Europe, last I checked.

As visitors NOT residents. For example, if I move to California to live (become resident) and fail to get a California driver's license (probably within some fixed grace period), I could be charged under Section 12500 of the Vehicle Code "Driving without a License". Most countries have similar rules.

(Okay, California allows only 10 days! The UK has way more reasonable laws-- 12 months to get things straightened out-- I wonder if the California law is really enforced).

Not great on gas.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Nah. With 20" rims and spinners it would fit right in.

2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Window tint restrictions are the least of our problems because, with the current crop of Congressional loony toons, we'll soon be driving scooters and bicycles anyway. Nothing to 'tint', except maybe your eyeballs.

Reply to
flipper

AFAIK the original argument was that dark tinting restricts the driver's ability to see out and in particular use their mirrors, but knowing the surveillance society in the UK that seems more likely.

But his car wasn't impounded because of the tint it was because the driver didn't have a valid licence.

--
Jim Backus running OS/2 Warp 3 & 4, Mac OS X and Win98SE
bona fide replies to j  backus  jita

According to BBC news, he didn't have a full driving license at all !

Argentina isn't part of the EU. However a full Argentinian license would be accepted if he is a visitor. I don't know if there is a time limit on his stay in the UK that would change the status of his license though.

Correct !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

And also so that the stupid driver can see out at night. Heavily tinted vehicles like black SUVs are usually the preserve of drug dealers. The speed cameras and ANPR are near infra red capable so visible organic window tints don't bother them much.

We have had ANPR running on major routes for longer longer than most people realise. But in the old days it was only looking for a handful of "interesting" plates like cars used by known terrorists and major criminals. Now they are connected to a database and flags up any car without MOT, tax or insurance. Seems reasonable to me.

I don't like having untaxed, uninsured rust buckets on the road or drivers that haven't passed their driving test. YMMV

United players are well know for their great driving skills:

(not the best customisation of a Ferrari front end)

I don't have a problem with them impounding his car if he doesn't have a full UK licence to drive in the UK. That is standard procedure. It would be a shame to crush it though. Every country I have lived in has required me to convert driving licence after 6 or 12 months.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Exactly the opposite ! The traffic cameras couldn't see in to identify the driver.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Simple measurement with a light meter. 70-75% transmission.

Have you seen how they drive in Argentina? Another ManU player totalled his Ferrari only last month. You get 6 or 12 months race on an International Licence but once you are a resident you have to pass the local test.

This can be amusing. We had to do the Japanese driving test when I lived there. Standard car, standard track for the test it was the first time back in a manual stick shift car after a year of driving automatics. Having to remember some of the odder right answers like their traffic lights go Red, Yellow, "Blue".

Could be he had no UK licence at all or a provisional one. Seems hard to believe that he had no UK licence at all since the car dealer would insist on seeing something to make sure that he was not disqualified from driving in the UK before taking him out for a test drive.

I am a surprised they don't do him for driving without insurance too.

Probably. In the UK called a "Provisional License". Entitles you to drive with L-plates displayed and only when accompanied by a driver with a full UK drivers licence.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown