Strange gun safe

When visiting Lowe's, the other week, I saw a strange electronic safe.

The silvery cover with buttons, etc, could easily pop out, which is what I did, to look at what is inside.

On the inside of the cover, there was a battery compartment, some PCBs, and a telephone style wire going to inside the safe.

My question is this.

Is there some smart circuitry inside the safe, such that the cover only sends electricity and keypad signals to the "brains" inside the safe, and the "brains" decide when to open the lock based on keypad combination.

Or, is it perhaps a bullshit "safe" where the brains are in the PCBs outside and that sends current to the door opener inside through the wire? In this case, the safe could be opened by simply applying battery voltage to the wires going inside, bypassing PCBs.

I know that no one can say for sure. What makes me suspect the latter is that there are basically too few conductors inside a typical telephone wire to send all those keycodes. It can be done, I suppose, but maybe it is not. Any thoughts?

Ignoramus13429

The keypad sends button codes in serial. Only the circuit on the inside 'knows' the combination. This is the same as security systems in offices and homes, the keypad just sends the numeric codes, only the central unit can interpret them and disable the alarm.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Thanks. I wish I could mess around it with a multimeter.

Ignoramus13429

You would need a scope to see whats really going on.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Well, if it sends voltage to the opening motor, I would get by with a multimeter. And if I find out that it is not so, then I would know for sure that it is a properly done safe.

Ignoramus13429

[snip]

For some reason I don't think I'd trust an electronic safe.

I use a good old-fashioned tumbler safe that's fire-proof and buried in the concrete floor.

...Jim Thompson

Unless they are complete idiots, that part would be inside the safe. Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT

To store, what? Your .44 caliber pistols, your rifles and your rocket launcher?

;)

Reply to
mrdarrett

Glock and important papers. I don't own a rifle or rocket launcher, but maybe I should ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On many of these, the keypad is removable. The 'lock' is inside. They usually are fairly smart, since it is so easy/cheap to write a 'better' program. Usually requires a sequence of digits, entered within a specified period. Get it wrong a number of times, and the system will stop listening for a period (usually an hour or more). The basic control board, is the same as is used on a lot of things like door entry systems etc.. You only need two wires to send any number of keycodes. They are sent serially. Try looking at the wiring of a normal burglar alarm. There is normally only a four wire cable, used to send power, and all the keycodes etc., between the main control box, and the alarm keypads.

Best Wishes

Reply to
Roger Hamlett

the

I have a marchmellow gun, and I know how to use it!

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

the

I have a marshmellow gun, and I know how to use it!

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Andy writes: Very handy, if you're ever robbed by a marshmellow....

:>))))) Andy

Reply to
Andy

In my neighborhood, you never know.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

No, its his wine cellar! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Is above ground ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It could happen - haven't you ever seen "Ghostbusters"? ;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com typed in news:// snipped-for-privacy@r2g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,

Or magnetic media. A "fire safe" is rated to keep paper from burning in a typical fire for 1 hour, but disks and tapes would melt before then. In the concrete floor they would have a better chance.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

the

Not with the sort of wine he drinks. Yellowtail ...

--
Bill Sloman, Nihmegen
Reply to

the

Nah! 5 gallon plastic jugs won't fit in something like that.

The world is coming to an end.  Please log off.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.