Remote Shutter Release

Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.

Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with this camera?

(It's owl mating season up on the hillside and I'd like to get some photos without spooking the owls.) ...Jim Thompson

No, Jim, we don't want to see pictures of you mating with an owl.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Thanks, Bob! I surfed Amazon and never found that. Must've not used the right buzz words :-) ...Jim Thompson

Timered operation only. One would think that they would have had enough brains to add WiFi or Bluetooth to it.

It would work on my 550UZ though, not that I need it.

Reply to
Copacetic

Older Olys use a common 1/8 inch jack with three contacts (aka stereo headphone jack). One is common, one is half-press, and one is shutter. I don't remember which is which but it's pretty easy to figure it out. It isn't necessary to activate the half-press before the shutter but doing so can reduce vibration blur.

Newer Olys have USB remote control. It might not mind a long cable if you force the lower USB speed.

Kevin McMurtrie

This one has USB. BobW pointed me to...

which I've ordered. ...Jim Thompson

            Where is Joe McCarthy when you need him ??

That defeats your original criteria. "up on the hillside" is where you want the camera and the owls, not the camera, the remote that is only ten feet remote, you, and no owls.

The damned string-of-hubs-and-jumpers fix is starting to look better.

Reply to
Capt. Cave Man

Why not use a garage door opener? I used a nice one, with 3 buttons (and 2 spare ones inside the remote ) transmittor.

3 relays on the receiver, to hook up to the camera. Internal 8 tristate code switches to block accidental triggering. From Conrad, here in the Netherlands, but google sure knows more sources.
Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Turned out to be mis-advertising. The SP-800UZ doesn't support such a function.

Anyone know a hack ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault:  Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%

I think you're out of luck.

HDMI and USB won't do it and there is no remote cable, RF or IR remote you can play with.

Reply to
David Eather

Yep. Now entertaining electro-mechanical ;-) ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault: Not re- newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%

Sheesh! That's a real pisser.

Have you spoken to Olympus to see if there's a way?

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to
BobW

JT > Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ. JT >

JT > Anyone know if there's any way to do a JT > remote shutter control with this camera? JT >

JT > (It's owl mating season up on the hillside and I'd like to get some JT > photos without spooking the owls.)

Can you set a time lapse mode to begin an hour after you put it in the tree hide?

With a BIG memory If it shoots every 40 seconds it could take a long time to use up the memory.

Reply to
Greegor

Try reading the whole thread next time, idiot.

Reply to
OutsideObserver

JT > Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ. JT >

JT > Anyone know if there's any way to do a JT > remote shutter control with this camera? JT >

JT > (It's owl mating season up on the hillside JT > and I'd like to get some photos without JT > spooking the owls.)

G > Can you set a time lapse mode to begin G > an hour after you put it in the tree hide? G >

G > With a BIG memory If it shoots every 40 seconds G > it could take a long time to use up the memory.

Archie > Try reading the whole thread next time, idiot.

Sometimes a long string of time lapse shots can be a substitute for hand triggered shots.

A cheap off the shelf PIR motion detector from a driveway light might help too. The Zenith ones used to use 12VDC inside.

Reply to
Greegor

Canons are similar. I've done well with tying an npn from common to the shutter and ignoring the other (focus). Might have had to diode-tie the focus to the collector on one of the cameras.

--
Jim
Reply to

A solenoid driven with two distinct excitation levels?

Reply to
David Eather

Sure. I think I could devise two distinct force levels ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault:  Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%

Jim,

If you're taking that route, you might consider a "hobby" servo such as these (or do a search on Hi-Tec):

You'd still need to build a frame to attach it to the camera (or the tripod mount) and a linkage to translate the servo rotation to the proper amount of pressure (several "cranks" are generally included).

Also, someone would have to design the electronics to take whatever control signal you wanted to use into the "standard" pulse-position signal. Know anyone who could help you here?

Hope this helps...

Frank McKenney

--
  Until the milennium comes and countries cease trying to enslave
  others, it will be necessary to accept one's responsibilities

Thanks for the pointer. My circuit design life is filled with all kinds of fun stuff: Six years ago I did a R/C receiver/servo-decoder chip design ;-) ...Jim Thompson