Good freeware circuit drawing program

innews:Xns9B3DBD0441A89jtjdfjdfjnbj@147.102.222.230:

Easy (done it myself): Draw schematic in whatever CAD program you want, export as graphics file. Load graphics file into MS-Word or whatever your favorite app is, format to your liking. Some text programs let you write over the imported graphics. If not you can do that with MS-Paint, that's what I use most of the time because it's easy.

It has those under Insert -> Symbol. In OpenOffice that would be Insert

-> Special Character.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

How about Microsoft Visio? It has most of the basic symbols (which can probably be extended). If it must look neat, then you'll need a desktop publishing-like solution.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Visio sucks for anything with wires.

*-totally-unsuitable-for-wiring-diagrams+Microsoft+connections+for-this-*-reason+no.concept.of.wires

Others have mentioned importing standard graphic formats into word processors. Those don't hold formatting of pages faithfully from computer to computer.

The gold standard for page layout is:

JeffM

Think of it this way:

What is the final product from the software your thinking about using.

Schematic and PCB (CAD) software is used for schematics and PCBs.

Desk Top Publishing (DPT) is for books.

You keep asking for software for writing electronics and electrical engineering _books_ !!

So, look for a DTP software and learn that.

donald

Reply to
donald

The TI version if Tina is quite crippled (no Spice imports). I'm debating whether to buy one of the for-sale versions or go with 5- Spice. PSpice is out of the question ($9K plus maintenance is nuts). I don't need it for schematic capture, though simple model entry is certainly goodness (though I have entered netlists by hand,

*many* moons have passed).
--
Keith
Reply to

"to be printed in a book" mean you need vector graphics (or pixel graphics to some ridiculous resolution like 7200dpi - don't gp there) something like inkscape may be a good start. (it's part of open office)

Hmm, I've not heard from Winfield Hill in a while, he'd know, although technology marches on.

I've seen some books with hand-drawn diagrams too.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Sounds like what Robert Pease does in his articles. And I think Forrest Mims as well. Sometimes a hand-drawn schematic can be effective, as you can emphasize important areas by making different size symbols and using thicker lines and other techniques.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

The solution is simple: don't use Viso's 'connector wires' but draw lines by yourself which is about the same amount of work BTW. There is no such thing as an ideal piece of software, but for quick and dirty artwork every once in a while, Visio is one of THE tools to use.

--
Programmeren in Almere?
E-mail naar nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Nico Coesel wrote:

The version I used didn't have that anyway.

The way Visio treated "lines" of any type was crap. It's as if the guys who wrote the program had never actually used a drawing app.

I see no reason to give money to Micros~1. There are general-purpose cross-platform Open Source vector-based drawing apps available for free:

JeffM

It seems these folks ahave a version of Kivio that can run on windoze, but it's not free. The Linux/KDE version came packaged with my Slack distro.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise wrote:

That's similar to QCAD where the Free Software version is gratis but to pay for the license for the tools for the Windoze build, you have to pony up some cash. (Search for "$28".)

*-*-Programs+charge.for.the.books+QCad+I-avoided-*-*-*-3D-*+LGPL

Reply to
JeffM

It had too because you said you had to put an interconnect point somewhere in the middle.

Depends on your background. Before I downgraded to WP and further downgraded to Word I used DTP software to write essays and other documentation. The way Visio works is much like the drawing tools of a DTP application.