Recommendation for simple free maybe portable drawing program.

I need a new drawing program. I've been using and old autocad, but it doesn't want to run on win7 and I'm too lazy to figure out why. Anything that came on floppies is obsolete ;-)

I'd like something small and simple. Free is essential. Portable would be nice so I don't clutter up the system. Must run under winxp and win7-8.

My current project is typical. I need to make a custom meter face. Draw a rectangle, resize it, put in some lines and numbers, print it to scale. I want something that will give me continuous position readout of at least one point on an object as I move or resize it.

Don't need 3d, simulation, nothing complicated. I can do it in windows paint, but editing is cumbersome. I can resize a selection box, but want to resize an object.

I'm finding lots of free downloads that are not free, programs written last century that probably won't run in win7, broken links, 80MB bloated downloads...

Just want something simple without a huge learning curve.

Recommendations?

Links to lists of programs that I have to download and install to discover they aren't want I want won't help me. Been doing that unsuccessfully all night. I'm looking for something that YOU have used.

While we're on the subject, I'd also be interested in a freeware alternative to autocad 2D for the next time I need to draw something more complex.

Thanks, mike

Reply to
mike

Free & ok:

Dennis

On a sunny day (Wed, 14 Mar 2012 03:37:55 -0700) it happened mike wrote in :

I have used gimp for something like that, Its leaning curve is huge, It is probably not made for what you want. But it has a lot of features. Rumor goes that it even supports that ancient windows7. Of course I use it in Linux only.

Using it has brought me to the point of wanting to delete it several times as it sometimes is so counter-intuitive. But it can do very accurate to scale printing (I use cups drivers). There is a lot of howto and help for gimp on the internet. There are a thousand other programs too that can do what you want. If all else fails write one.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Why not try Draftsight? It's freeware from the Solidworks guys, and works with your legacy DWG and DXF files.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

st

there's also solid edge 2d, also free but windows only

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

QCAD

has a GPL open source 2D CAD that I used quite a bit on Linux. Their Linux version is included in most Linux distributions (Fedora, Ubuntu). You can download a Windows version from their site too, but I think it is a 'demo' unlike the Linux version. I am not sure what are the exact limitations.

Reply to
Przemek Klosowski

I downloaded it, but was put off by the 180MB install. On recommendation here, I installed it. Learning curve was near zero for the simple stuff I needed. Meter scale works. Thanks.

I'd still like to find a small, portable program that I can use on any machine without installing and activating it every time.

Reply to
mike

ast

OK not free, but for making panels I like Visio, rather than a CAD program.

Cool, Thanks... I had a old version of Autocad LT that stopped wroking and won't reinstall.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

LibreCAD (which won't do pretty) is a nice 2D drafting package. It takes a while to get your head wrapped around it, but it'll do everything but bug-free eliptical arcs and Beziers.

Inkscape drawing (which won't do precise very easily) is a nice vector graphics drawing package. It won't do 2D drafting, but you can sure make pretty pictures.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

Dennis Inscribed thus:

This is what I use. One or two quirks but it works fine !

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

Years ago I got DeltaCad, can't remember whether it was free then - it is not now*. I loved it - the user interface was simple and intuitive. All the basic functions without feature bloat. I.e., an easy learning curve.

Bob

  • - not free, but only , with a 45 day "Demo" (trial) available:
Bob Engelhardt

By the way any recommendations for a free drawing program that will do ladder diagrams and control diagrams for electric motors?

Howard

Reply to
hrh1818

And very AutoCad-ish: understands many common ACad commands (although the documentation doesn't admit it).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net

Inkscape. (not particularly small though) it's vector oriented so will print nice sharp graphics.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

ast

soemthing liek this:

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

times

Image Magick is usually easier to use.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

SVG-edit is a fast, web-based, Javascript-driven SVG editor that works in any modern browser

I am using Inkscape because it works with Ponoko's laser cutting so I haven't ran through the learning curve maze but SVG-Edit looks pretty OK. You can get free DXF-SVG-DXF converters also but I haven't tried any yet.

Reply to
edvogel56