OT: Best metalworking newsgroup?

For advice on brands of machine tools (lathe, mill, etc.).

It would be nice if the threads on politics were kept to a minimum, as I'd hate to have to duplicate my work here. ;-)

2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

It is not a news group or a one stop source for information on comparing brands and types of metalworking machine tools but yahoo groups has a lot of groups dedicated to various types of machine tools. With a little patience you should be able to get some valuable feedback. See:

Howard

Reply to
hrh1818

rec.crafts.metalworking

Leon

Reply to
Leon

I understand your options are something like Bridgeport, and cheap Chinese stuff like what Harbor Freight sells that's so frustratingly bad you'll eventually pay someone to take it away.

The first thing that comes to mind is rec.crafts.metalworking (I've lurked there, looks like some posters there know what they're doing, but current headers show lots of politics discussion, so warm up your copy-and-paste keys) but there's also alt.rec.crafts.metalworking (just looked at headers, looks like very low traffic, but on-topic stuff). There's this webforum:

and probably several others. And of course, as the other poster mentioned, various mailing lists (that how I think of them because that's often how I'm subscribed) on
and (the one not to be confused with Usenet newsgroups)

Ben Bradley

Grizzly Industrial's distribution center/showroom is nearby. I can go in and fiddle with the display units (they won't let me fire one up tho). I've heard of a few other brands, like Sherline. But I've not had the opportunity to work with any of these.

ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

FWIW Sherline is the new Unimat. Nice hobby tool, not a real production tool.

Reply to
JosephKK

Just ask on rec.crafts.metalworking and tune out the political crap. It's actually much better this year than it has been in the past this close to an election -- I'm pleasantly surprised.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Hi,

Here's a forum you might find helpful, click on the metalworking section.

Mike

Reply to
amdx

I figured that. I was looking through some of their literature. Nice looking stuff, but I had trouble finding specs like swing over cross slide, etc.

RAM disk is *not* an installation procedure.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I posted a question over there. I see some good responses.

I'll resist the urge to mention the Iron Age in the presence of some of the conservatives. ;-)

Dedicated to the unrestricted propagation of worthless
information across the Internet.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.