Good firewall prog?

The original 16KB chips were different (I seem to remember them requiring THREE power supply voltages). The 64KB and 256KB chips were very similar.

I had a 128KB RAM expansion cartridge for the C-128 (this used 16 64KB chips). There were some people who converted them to 512KB (using the

256KB chips).

"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose
objections are based not on reasoning but on
doctrinaire adherence to religious principles"
-- James D. Watson
Reply to
Gary H

Similar, yes. Same, no. The PC's 256K board was made such that it was a real hack-job to upgrade it to 640K. The PC/XT upgrade was trivial, as described here. The motherboards were *not* the same.

The PC-Jr was the same. The 128KB side-cars were easy to upgrade to

512K (suck out the 64K ships and replace with 256K - add a jumper, IIRC), for a total of 640K.
--
  Keith
Reply to

Reply to
Gunrunnerjohn

Well, you're here (and top-posting, I might add).

Oh, I didn't know this was your personal thread. Move along now!

--
  Keith
Reply to

I guess that you have never seen the Commodore emulator software that lets you run the old Commodore software on a windows machine?

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why in the world would I want to run old Commodore software?

Reply to
Gunrunnerjohn

I didn't say that YOU did, but there are a lot of people who do.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You should add spybot search and destroy. it and adaware interfere with each other but both recognize the issue. no fix yet. and i prefer Kerio for myself but install ZA for others. and all this is nothing to how tight i have my router firewall set.

--
JosephKK
Reply to

Actually the first IBM PC's shipped with 5-1/4 inch floppy drive, which was new at the time, when 8" was standard. They were 180 kB single sided and when you made flippy you may get an additional 180 kB but they would format only about 80% of the time. 1983 was a while back. The test equipment controllers were all using 8" floppies with a primitive file system (only one directory on the floppy) and only 64 files possible. IIRC the 8" floppies of the time were 360 kB double sided. The big deal was the memory expansion from 64 kB to 256 kB. Then came LIM specification expanded memory cards with up 2560 kB

--
JosephKK
Reply to

Wow, somebody that actually used a Cromenco system. I had forgotten the brand until you reminded me.

Native double sided drives that could not read flippies accelerated their demise.

--
JosephKK
Reply to

NAV or McAfee are ok but AVG and clamav catch more malware.

--
JosephKK
Reply to

Actually you can take any old computer, load Linux on it and have a good, if a little less than convenient to configure, firewall with serial and any other ports you want on it.

--
JosephKK
Reply to

If the app deals with a use that does not require online access then drop your connection, call the vendor, ask how you are to use this app when you do not have Internet connection and it insists on "phoning homes." Generally this will produce an alternative registration process that will not need Internet access. If they do not have an alternative then they are just to dumb, arrogant, or invasive to have on my or your machines.

James

Reply to
James