Good firewall prog?

Both sound true.

I made a couple of those "flippies" just to see that I could do it, then didn't since they'd be less reliable. Neither was on a PC though. One was on that MDS system I talked about earlier (8 inch disk), the other was on a Commodore (5.25 inch disk).

"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose
objections are based not on reasoning but on
doctrinaire adherence to religious principles"
-- James D. Watson
Reply to
Gary H

The first computer I had was a VIC-20. That machine had 11 1K*4 chips inside. That's 5KB plus an additional 1KB of 4-bit RAM for colors. I bought a 24KB RAM expander in 1983 for about $149. It used 24 2K*8 chips.

The Commodore-64 used 8 64K*1 chips. Interestingly, the BASIC free memory function used 16-bit signed arithmetic, so when you started it, you'd get something like:

COMMODORE 64 BASIC V2

64K RAM SYSTEM

-24577 BYTES FREE

READY.

(that's actually 40K-1 bytes)

One of the first BASIC-modification programs I wrote changed the LET command to MOO. Entering MOO would get you "I'm a computer, not a cow." (you might notice the connection with Star Trek). Another one would change the error messages in this sequence:

A RABBIT IN LINE 20

2 RABBITS IN LINE 30 4 RABBITS IN LINE 10 8 RABBITS IN LINE 40 16 RABBITS IN LINE 20 32 RABBITS IN LINE 30 64 RABBITS IN LINE 10 128 RABBITS IN LINE 30 TOO MANY RABBITS IN LINE 20

"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose
objections are based not on reasoning but on
doctrinaire adherence to religious principles"
-- James D. Watson
Reply to
Gary H

I use Shields UP! often and have a bookmark for that. It's easier that finding it from the GRC home page.

"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose
objections are based not on reasoning but on
doctrinaire adherence to religious principles"
-- James D. Watson
Reply to
Gary H

This link might work:

Otherwise, look for Shields Up for tests.

Reply to
Bob P

I recall ordering an early Maxtor drive that was 80 or 85 meg, cost the company about $5000 I believe in the mid 80's. Good thing times change eh?

--
Best regards,
Kyle

The C-64 boots up with 39811 bytes free unless you have a cartridge using part of the memory space.

I wrote a small program that could be typed or loaded to locate bad memory chips if you didn't get the full 39811 free bytes. It reported the first bad memory location, and told you which chip was bad.

I had to laugh at one old man in the Orlando Commodore computer club. He insisted that he didn't have any bad memory because his C-64 was reporting 3811 bytes free and he didn't think the missing "9" was important.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I read in sci.electronics.design that Gary H wrote (in ) about 'Good firewall prog?', on Tue, 13 Sep 2005:

It's the originally Arabic name of the star Alpha Aquilae. The name means 'flying one'.

John Woodgate

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Robert Baer

...and that is pure garbage (about "dust").

Reply to
Robert Baer

Will check that out. Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Look for the ShieldsUp section for testing. Also, a lot of what is there, is free.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I remember (pre-PC) using several months worth of allowance to buy 64k of RAM. A group of us got together and bought 100 RAM chips (1kx4?) - no supplier would quote over the phone because "no-one needs that much RAM!". :-)

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

We nailed our first crashed platter to the wall of the office - the scoring on the platter was clearly visible. :-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

I have one pinned on my wall here that's still formatted in the IBM standard format of 128KB. Sectors were 128B, 16 sectors/track IIRC, and 64 tracks. This floppy has the source of the Z80 Tiny C code that was published in Dr Dobbs. I typed it all in and was adding a few features (like structures). The source fitted on one disk and the assembly output on another.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

If that is in any way serious, you need to explain in better. As it is, that's just an insult which will be ignored as it deserves to be.

"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose
objections are based not on reasoning but on
doctrinaire adherence to religious principles"
-- James D. Watson
Reply to
Gary H

I remember that now. The singed-word error still exists with the FRE(0) function.

I wrote one of those in college. It took awhile to figure out why it failed at a certain location (the processor stack).

When I was learning BASIC, I meant to write a simple program like:

10 PRINT "HELLO" 20 GOTO 10

But had accidentally changed the "GOTO" to "GOSUB". It would print "HELLO" a few times then give an OUT OF MEMORY message. It took awhile to figure that one out.

"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose
objections are based not on reasoning but on
doctrinaire adherence to religious principles"
-- James D. Watson
Reply to
Gary H

Thanks!

Turns out I'm fully "stealthed", which isn't really all that surprising, since I have a Linux box configured as a router, with an IPTABLES "firewall":

that I downloaded at
, which seems to have been down for a month or so. And all the Doze boxen have several antivirus things, so I guess I've finally got a system that's "good enough".

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's un-necessary evil. ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

26 sectors/track
77 tracks.

The 1.2 Mb "HD" 5 1/4 inch floppies are the same rotation rate and with the exception of having 80 tracks instead of 77, the same data capacity and write clock rate.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

I guess that he never had to replace the head where someone insisted on using "flippys"? 95% of the bad floppy drive heads I saw in single sided drives were badly worn or scratched. They either used flippy disks, or the cheapest crap on the market. Some brands sounded like sand paper as they rotated.

BTW, the other 5% were broken by ramming a damaged disk, or something else into the drive and they snapped the head off the mount.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida