Good firewall prog?

Duck soup. When something tries to access the Net for the 1st time (or any app that you haven't permanently quantified as Trusted or Crap tries), the firewall will pop up a dialog box asking you if this app should be allowed to do this.[1]

If it's the app in which you are currently working and you recognize a need for it to be online, say OK(THIS TIME ONLY) or ALWAYS OK.

If you recognize it as something that is trying to "phone home" but as something that is otherwise useful to you, permanently mark it as *Denied Access* (NEVER OK).

If the app won't work without Net access and you see no reason that it should need it, DELETE the app and find another that behaves itself.

If you don't recognize the app (usually it just starts itself) you should note the specifics, update your malware killers, and start sweeping your box for infections.

[1] Just how often do you install a new app that requires Net access?
Reply to
jeffm_

Trojans active on your PC can use practically any port. Here's one list of ports and known Trojans that use them:

Don't confuse this with ports that require closing, which are very few in number.

Don't actually do this, but if you were to do a fresh install of Windows and go to a port scanning site, you wouldn't see the ports you mention as "open". They would be "closed", meaning there is no service holding them open to inbound traffic. The ports you would see open would be the ones I mention and deal with in my article. You only have to close this small handful of ports in order to have all 64,000 + ports closed to inbound probes and requests for service.

A software firewall will block incoming on all ports not being used, and thus mask the situation. All ports will test as either blocked or "stealthed" at port scanning sites rather than either closed or open. This is due to the lack of a normal response from your IP address.

I hope this simple explanation helps. It is a very complex subject.

Art

Art

The ones I used held over 1MB.

"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose
objections are based not on reasoning but on
doctrinaire adherence to religious principles"
-- James D. Watson
Reply to
Gary H

Note that files copied between computers on your LAN don't actually use the router.

"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose
objections are based not on reasoning but on
doctrinaire adherence to religious principles"
-- James D. Watson
Reply to
Gary H

(NetBios).

Probably not, unless you forgot to disable uPnP on the router.

"Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact
for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose
objections are based not on reasoning but on
doctrinaire adherence to religious principles"
-- James D. Watson
Reply to
Gary H

I do have the free version of ZA on my W2K partition as well as the Linksys but since I never go on the internet from 'doze I have far fewer problems than most folk.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I understood that on the seventh day God said, "OK, Murphy, now you take over. I'm resting."

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

If it happens to be a laptop with a PCMCIA slot, you can get an adapter to provide ethernet connection. I had one from IBM on my old TP 385XD.

Are you on a dial up?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I'm surprised at that since I've had as many as four computers on mine moving files all over the place and not had a problem.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

there's no reason why a program on your machine

someone could connect from outside to do the same.

default value (admin I guess).

have found out).

I use a VERY obscure password for the router.

You communicate with the Barricade via your browser and I have Javascript blocked except for selected sites, like my bank and CC accounts. I don't know if there's any safety there or not.

Probably the best safety is to browse with extreme caution, since that's the likely source of most of the crap.

And my ancient version of Eudora doesn't support the slip-it-to-you-via-E-mail schemes.

...Jim Thompson

Have done that in this thread and the link is at my web site.

Art

Art

It would run without the 'M' in 16K, IIRC. It ran fine in 48K with a single floppy. I soon had enough memory[*] to put a whole floppy in a RAMDISK.

[*] While the PC came with 48K, I had 320K within a month and 720K within six. I had a free source for 256K DRAMs. ;-)
--
   Keith
Reply to

Yes, but don't forget that the PC "cost so much" too. I don't believe many were actually sold with 16K, since memory was a hugely profitable item at the time. The systems were constrained, so one bought what was available.

Without the macro processor, IIRC.

One could get to 704K, but it took s some ingenuity. ;-) The AST sixpacks came out shortly after, with 256K DRAM. There were others as well.

It was before too (704K was the real limit before one ran into the CGA/MCA buffer). The memory configuration switch settings weren't officially documented above 256K, or some such, though.

--
  Keith
Reply to

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I had an older wireless router (no ADSL or cable modem) which gave no trouble.

I think I'm going to try another Belkin product.

I have two main criteria. It shouldn't crash and the settings should not be lost if power is removed. Of course I'd like it to contain a Gigabit switch and two WAN interfaces - but then beggars can't be choosers.

Richard

bob Jeffray wrote:

Reply to
richard mullens

eMule & Bittorrent ?

Reply to
richard mullens

If you can sit at your machine and converse with the router, then in principle there's no reason why a program on your machine shouldn't be able to do likewise. And if you permit remote administration - someone could connect from outside to do the same.

It would probably be a good idea to change the router's admin password from its default value (admin I guess).

I protect myself by running on Linux - but that doesn't make me immune (as I have found out).

Reply to
richard mullens

| I seem to recall all the first PC's with floppies had 8". An 8" floppie had | vast amounts of storage available! | | Is it just me or was it *really* that long ago?? | | Ken | |

It really was that long ago, and I don't miss the 8" floppies one bit. Back then I did a good deal of dedicated microprocessor programming for industrial use, and all program development was done with 8" floppy based systems, I remember having the cat's meow setup with a triple-drive setup, imagine that, 3 floppy drives on one system, woot! Seems to me the 8" floppies were 256k, 512k and 1meg in capacity, does that sound warm?

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Absolutely. Got the FDC and software from Flagstaff Engineering. Their first FDCs were made by modifying the IBM FDC, adding the logic "dead bug" style, and (i think) some port was used to switch between the standard 5.25" clock rate to the 8" clock rate. The sofware allowed one to read and write thousands of CP/M, Unix and IBM mainframe formats (both floppy sizes). Best of all was the high density 8" DOS format that was added, allowing over 1Mbyte of data!! It was great to be able to back up those expensive, huge 5Mbyte hard drives with only a few floppies.

Reply to
Robert Baer

By using Google, i have found some of those (serial port/s and included modem) - but they want over $700 for the beasties.

Reply to
Robert Baer

It is a mini-tower, and on dial-up.

Reply to