Globalspec -- Google spammer or useful source of information

For my "custom search engine"

I blacklisted a website called "globalspec". To me it is a most annoying website, a morass of useless, keyword rich pages that seem to come up in response to every query. That they are useless is not immediately obvious, but they are. The result is a lot of wasted time.

I would like to know if your opinion about globalspec is different.

Right now I am up to 55 sites blacklisted and parts searches are much more useful.

I am not excluding ebay for now, I figure that if you do not want to include ebay, you can always say -ebay in your query.

I did searches for a few part numbers that Spehro mentioned, and, to my delight, the worthless spammers were not seen in the first 3-4 pages.

Ignoramus19284

There is an interesting little story here

about and antispam company that was being sued by a spammer. The spammer lost.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

The devil is in details, they "lost" because they did not show up in court.

Ignoramus19284

Excellent point. _We_ know this by now, but many unsuspecting persons have followed those links to their bitter (useless) end.

It is not. Every year or so I get a sales email or call from some GlobalSpec sales person all excited to try to sell me on their services, which are not at all affordable. (All their programs start at many thousands of dollars, and they have no way to give you a little taste so that you know it will be worth it.)

From what I have gathered, a lot of large companies have been sold on their services because "everybody's doing it" and they don't want to be left behind.

Global Spec has managed to convince a bunch of government agencies and contractors to put a quick link to their site so that people can (supposedly) find the parts they need quickly. And then they tell prospective customers that if they hire them to list their products that these agencies and contractors will buy so many more of their products.

It's actually a great way to get a lot of companies to provide competitive quotes on some commodity electronic component for some junior engineer eager to please his boss, but not very good for normal searches.

Gary Peek Industrologic, Inc.

Reply to
Gary Peek

OK, so I will keep them in my exclusion list, then. Globalspec is maybe the most annoying web spammer out there.

Ignoramus19284