TI has wrecked their web site

...again!

It's all Flashed now. And just try right-clicking on a datasheet - once you find it - to save the pdf file.

John

Hello John,

I can still read it w/o flash. Right click doesn't work, you can only open the pdf and then save. Just did that with the 430F2013 data sheet which I am going need. But Acrobat has its own little shortcomings like grinding on an empty floppy drive until you hit cancel. Rather stupid.

The TI site is now loaded with fluff and slower than ever. Not nearly as poorly design as the Philips site and many other EU sites but they are going in that direction. Sometimes I wonder what possesses them to do that. I did write on occasion but since they don't seem to listen I quit doing that.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

I don't enable Flash. Can you give an example of a particular datasheet?

Reply to
Dave

I went into my registry and disabled macromedia flash so that it is silently ignored, but causes little trouble. Now that I'm looking at TI's site with IE, I get a big white margin at the top -- but nothing to see at all. That's on the top page

but on the other pages I went to, this white margin is gone. The PDF links appear to work well for me, still.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I use Flashblock in Firefox, so I don't get headaches from all that Hollywood Flashcrap.

The datasheet link (which should be prominent at the top of the page) is way down at the bottom. If you right-click to save, the filename comes up as "getliterature.tsp". The file turns out to be, in fact, the .pdf, so you can rename it in the browser's "save" dialog, to "INA114.pdf" or whatever.

So why isn't it just INA114.PDF anyhow?

And they've gone from a simple heirarchical list of products to the "arbitrarily grouped applications" and "very slow parametric search" paradigms. Yuk.

John

It's fine in Opera.

Right click and 'save target as'.

I'm no fan of fluff generally though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Hello John,

The next step is likely going to be worse. Then you have to memorize all their trade names like other mfgs require that. Else you won't find the parts. Nexperia and all that. This would take the cake in terms marketing blunders.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Not using Opera.

It's at the top as usual.

Opera offers 'save target as ( ina114.pdf) '.

Why not try Opera ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I have no problems saving PDFs from TI using Firefox. Sure, I can't right click and save, but I open the PDF and save from Acrobat. In Firefox, I modified my all.js file (under greprefs) and commented out the Acrobat line. This causes the PDF to be viewed in Acrobat instead of your browser. TI's site seems like it only uses bits and pieces of Flash. A 100% Flash site really sucks, especially for a technical company. Any company that has a 100% Flash site doesn't get my business because it's too painful to find information.

Seems that many companies are trying to please the investors with pretty graphics and leave their customers battling slow fluffy web sites. Chalk it up to "professional" management (management with no expertise in the product) where company success is measured in number of colors in the web site home page.

--
Mark
Reply to

Oh, right. I clicked on the top-most likely candidate, "technical documents", which jumped me down near the bottom, where the datasheet appears again.

Strange. I guess they didn't test it with Firefox.

Firefox works fine; I'd been using Netscape since way before there was an IE or Opera. I like the extensions, and they make a great t-shirt.

John

I'm using Firefox with JS and Flash blocked... works just fine.

...Jim Thompson

Well, I was an early fan of Netscape too. I recall downoading those beta versions of Netscape 2 before it was even officially launched. A great improvement over Mosaic !

Time moves on though........

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Even worse is the LT website.

Links are given as

\\do?navId=H0,C1,C1155,C1001,C1150,P13693,D9659

(example given for the LTC2208)

Why not have plain links with some sensible name? Atmel saves all the datasheets as docxxxx.pdf. Very easy to memorize...

Uwe Bonnes

Works fine in Opera !

Either right click or left click !

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Save it and look at the descriptibe name...

Uwe Bonnes

Save it and look at the descriptive name...

Uwe Bonnes

I'm not sure I see the same thing. I see a datasheet link with the label "download" a few inches from the top of the page. I click on that and Firefox asks me if I want to download the PDF. I end up with a pdf file on my desktop. I have Firefox set to never open a PDF. I don't have Flash installed because Flashblock couldn't always block it.

Reply to
Dave

2208f.pdf

Graham